PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So I figured out why that ref crew was working that game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Polian didn't blanch...AND he's said ZERO about that abominable and detestable display of refereeing last Sunday...WHY?????????...isn't HE the head of the rules committee???? If ANYBODY should be talking about those refs, it's HIM!!~!!!!!!!

He's a rotten scumbag and needs to be ejected for life from ANYTHING to do with the NFL

He doesn't want to get fined for being critical of the refs. :D

heh

10 jacka$$es

Polian didn't blanch...AND he's said ZERO about that abominable and detestable display of refereeing last Sunday...WHY?????????...isn't HE the head of the rules committee???? If ANYBODY should be talking about those refs, it's HIM!!~!!!!!!!

Actually quite the opposite, on his weekly radio show Billy P said that he thought the head ref did a great job. he made some other random comment about the rest of the officials but didn't say they did anything bad or questionable

Of course...and where was this radio show broadcast...planet Moron?

Here is a guy that has been raked fairly high ALL YEAR. In fact, 6 of his games his crew was ranked 1 or 2. Now all of the sudden he gets to the BIGGEST game of regular season, in front of one of (in effect) his big bosses (Polian - the Emperor of the Comp. Com.), and he all of the sudden, forgets how to ref a game.

Neither the ref nor the umpire -- the two most important positions -- were the problems in that game. I don't think Parry had a single bad call. I'm actually not sure if he made any calls, other than reviewing the out of bounds challenge, which he got right. The Umpire's calls seemed to me right on too. He was liberal but not too liberal with holding. (He called the hold that basically killed the Colts last drive and got us the ball back. He also, I believe, called the leg whip, which was the right call.) The linesmen and the line judges were fine too, with the exception of one bad spot. I know people are complaining about the play where the pats went into the neutral zone and drew the indy line into making a false start, but that was not a bad call, IMHO. We've benefited from the inducing a false start a few times this year. I think the linesman called a defensive holding penalty on us, but it was declined anyway because the receiver caught the ball. Not sure who made the illegal touching by a downfield linesman -- could have been the umpire, head linesman, or the field judge. It was the right call in any event.

Bottom line is that it was the side judge and field judge who had bad days. Not sure who was responsible for the picked up flag on the ineligible receiver -- it could have been they or it could have been the umpire or ref's fault for not communicating it to them.

But you can't blame this game on Parry or conclude he's a bad ref. Each official in the NFL gets to call his own penalties, and once they report them to Parry, he won't overrule them. He would never do that. He's nowhere near the play. Even the great Ed Hocchuli doesn't overrule his crew. If the field judges comes up to him and tells him it's PI, it's PI. The most the ref might do is ask the back judge if the ball was catchable.

So, Periera's comment about the ref doing a good job was true. He did. I thought he was fine.

Last edited:
Neither the ref nor the umpire -- the two most important positions -- were the problems in that game. I don't think Parry had a single bad call. I'm actually not sure if he made any calls, other than reviewing the out of bounds challenge, which he got right. The Umpire's calls seemed to me right on too. He was liberal but not too liberal with holding. (He called the hold that basically killed the Colts last drive and got us the ball back. He also, I believe, called the leg whip, which was the right call.) The linesmen and the line judges were fine too, with the exception of one bad spot. I know people are complaining about the play where the pats went into the neutral zone and drew the indy line into making a false start, but that was not a bad call, IMHO. We've benefited from the inducing a false start a few times this year. I think the linesman called a defensive holding penalty on us, but it was declined anyway because the receiver caught the ball. Not sure who made the illegal touching by a downfield linesman -- could have been the umpire, head linesman, or the field judge. It was the right call in any event.

Bottom line is that it was the side judge and field judge who had bad days. Not sure who was responsible for the picked up flag on the ineligible receiver -- it could have been they or it could have been the umpire or ref's fault for not communicating it to them.

But you can't blame this game on Parry or conclude he's a bad ref. Each official in the NFL gets to call his own penalties, and once they report them to Parry, he won't overrule them. He would never do that. He's nowhere near the play. Even the great Ed Hocchuli doesn't overrule his crew. If the field judges comes up to him and tells him it's PI, it's PI. The most the ref might do is ask the back judge if the ball was catchable.

So, Periera's comment about the ref doing a good job was true. He did. I thought he was fine.

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for typing it all out for me.

Watching the pre-game stuff Sunday morning one of the talking heads brought up the issue specifically and then he pointed out a very curious coincidence - that the rookie crew has a record this season of calling offensive PI at a much higher rate than the other crews. Very interesting, NE's main weapon is preceived to be Randy Moss on the deep ball and it's been shown that there are few ways to defend it. He beats doubles and triples, gets most jump balls, etc. so one of the only effective ways to defend against him is to use a very liberal interpretation of the OPI rules and "ask" the refs to keep an eye out for the penalty. and who gets assigned to the game? a ref team with a track record of doing just that.

all very odd....

It was Charlie Casserly on CBS.

Phil Simms IMMEDIATELY refers to what Charlie said (and named him as the source of the analysis) as the Moss offensive PI call was being made. I saw that yesterday when reviewing the game tape.

Simms and Casserly were all over that.

BTW, Nantz and Simms do a GREAT job in real time. They are sharp and on the money. Would that the CBS sound crew did half as well as them!

d%#*!@t that I don't have NFLN. Perreira's show tonight should be VERY interesting on MANY levels.

OK - I've read every post in this thread.
So, if the refs call more offensive PI than any other set of refs in the NFL, then why, on the most egregious offensive PI of the game (Clark on Harrison) wasn't it called??

OK - I've read every post in this thread.
So, if the refs call more offensive PI than any other set of refs in the NFL, then why, on the most egregious offensive PI of the game (Clark on Harrison) wasn't it called??

Good point, that makes it all the MORE interesting, doesn't it?

The one thing this crew does most, they somehow ignore for the favor of the Polian team.

The NFL (not just the colts) has been trying everyting it can to even the playing field with the Patriots ever since they signed Adalius Thomas (by talking to him at the Pro Bowl - not fair) and swindled Miami and Oakland out of Welker and Moss.
All of those moves had questions (why did Miami not offer 1st round money, why did the Patriots take on the evil Moss and lessen their image - but if he went to Green Bay and Farve that was ok)

Taking down the Pats has been a priority of the NFL and the Media ever since they got their comeuppance in the AFC title game when the good finally beat the bad. And then the bad started to resurrect

I just feel bad for Kraft cus it has cut into the value of the franchise and its marketing. Just so we have fair competition. Translation PARITY. The three strongest teams in the NFL -Pats, Colts, and Steelers are also the last three SB winners. And none of the other 29 franchises are close to them this year and in the near future. It must be stopped. It is bad for business when the 17 weeks of the season are played for nothing.
Watch out Colts and Steelers, if you succeed and eliminate the Patriots by strange officiating and removing draft picks then YOUR NEXT

Somebody in Vegas made DAMN sure the pats didn't cover the spread this week.

I was watching the NFL today at noon
and they said this crew was known for
calling the fewest PI penalties, but that
they have called the most roughing the
passer calls.

Looks like they were confused.

The umpiring crew not NFL today.

This was not a rookie reffing crew.
The ref was in his 1st year as the
referee but it was his 12th year in the league.
I believe he was back judge or line judge.

This was a crew of NFL veteran refs, bj. linesmen etc.

When I first saw that a rookie ref crew was working the Pats Colts game I was, like most people, confused. How the hell could the NFL send a green team to ref the most hyped regular season game in history? It just didn't make sense. As I surfed around the web absorbing all the pre-game hype I noticed a few threads on a Colts forum about Randy Moss and "pushing off", which I have seen him do every now and then but I think most of the time the announcer says something about it it's BS because he never extends his arm to actually push anyone. Before anyone gets on my case remember that I HAVE seen him ACTUALLY push off a couple of times. Back to the point. Watching the pre-game stuff Sunday morning one of the talking heads brought up the issue specifically and then he pointed out a very curious coincidence - that the rookie crew has a record this season of calling offensive PI at a much higher rate than the other crews. Very interesting, NE's main weapon is preceived to be Randy Moss on the deep ball and it's been shown that there are few ways to defend it. He beats doubles and triples, gets most jump balls, etc. so one of the only effective ways to defend against him is to use a very liberal interpretation of the OPI rules and "ask" the refs to keep an eye out for the penalty. and who gets assigned to the game? a ref team with a track record of doing just that.

all very odd....

Last edited:
This was not a rookie reffing crew.
The ref was in his 1st year as the
referee but it was his 12th year in the league.
I believe he was back judge or line judge.

He was a field judge and a side judge, I think -- not the usual spot for promotion.

But, for all the talk about Parry, no body has answered my question what this has to do with him. He didn't have a bad call all game.

The field and side judges were the problem in this game. I have no idea what their NFL tenure is. It's the only relevant question. The fact that this is Parry's first year as a ref, which everyone seems to focused on, seems immaterial. He had a fine game.

It's like criticizing the plate umpire because the first base umpire missed some safe/out calls at first.

Some of you people are going way overboard with this whole "the league (if not the whole world) is out to get us!" routine and need a sharp dose of reality.

FWIW, I can't believe some of you are still fans of football. If I ever thought, for one moment, that the league office was conspiring to hurt one team in an unfair manner, or behaving in a biased manner against any franchise, then that would be my last day as a fan of pro football.

Poor officiating is indeed an issue that need to be addressed, but I've said it before and I'll say it again: Going all the way back to the playoffs of 2005, we are seeing a ridiculous trend whereby referees are making bad calls which overwhelmingly go in favor of the home team. The league should take note of this.

But gimme a break with the Las-Vegas-commisioner's-office paranoid conspiracy theories.

Somebody in Vegas made DAMN sure the pats didn't cover the spread this week.
And what would be the motive behind that..? The whole point of the spread (pun intended) is to ensure equal action on both sides. So the powers-that-be in Las Vegas don't give a damn if the Pats cover 20 in a row or lose 20 in a row. They're making money either way.

Bill Polian HATES the Patriots and their fans.

You DENY this????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back