PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: What is the most unwatchable type of football game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game late in the season where the team we’re competing for seeding with has to lose and they’re behind but they inevitably come back partially due to pass interference penalties going their way. KC now, Indy/Den back in the day.

Sloppy play - lots of holding / neutral zone infraction / false starts. Give me a grind-it-out, great defensive battle any day.

I'll be honest, I loved that Superbowl. It was a grinding defensive game that came down to who made more mistakes, and it was the Rams.

Aye, if you love it, you love it. I'll even say I prefer that over the SB with the Jags, even in some timeline where the Pats won. That game was just a score-fest. We punted.. once? or twice? ridiculous. At no point have I ever considered a receiver corps not getting open as frustrating as those early 2010 years of our defense just CONTINUALLY giving teams massive yardage. I remember when I literally got more nervous on 3rd and longs than any other play lol.

The Seahawks SB is the definition of a perfect game for me. High highs, low lows, both sides flubbing, both sides clutching, 3 and outs followed by surgical 12 play drives. Crazy catches, crazy interceptions, aaaaaaaaaaaaand the Patriots winning :)

Aye, if you love it, you love it. I'll even say I prefer that over the SB with the Jags, even in some timeline where the Pats won. That game was just a score-fest. We punted.. once? or twice? ridiculous. At no point have I ever considered a receiver corps not getting open as frustrating as those early 2010 years of our defense just CONTINUALLY giving teams massive yardage. I remember when I literally got more nervous on 3rd and longs than any other play lol.

Good to know I'm not the only one who felt that way. (Not sure if that's just how it felt vs. them actually doing worse on 3rd and long than 3rd and short.)

The game late in the season where the team we’re competing for seeding with has to lose and they’re behind but they inevitably come back partially due to pass interference penalties going their way. KC now, Indy/Den back in the day.

Go back a little further in the Way Back Machine and those type of games were going against the Pats on a regular basis, only then they meant the difference between going to the playoffs or staying home. At least in the B&B era those games only mattered for seeding.

Jets vs Browns

A Hochuli type game is #1 on my worst list.

Games with endless penalties, mental and physicals errors, and challenges, especially when the game isn’t even competitive.

Jets vs Browns
pretty much

two teams playing who just don't know fundamentals, are mistake-prone, and are just sloppy. Add in some players yapping or hamming for the camera after making routine plays, and I reach for the clicker for sure.

A game between two random 4-11/5-10 teams that ends up something like 20-17. If you want to make it particularly bad make sure the teams are ones for which there is no emotional involvment whatsoever(maybe slightly against the rules of the OP. So for this year picture something like a w17 battle between the San Diego(sorry LA) Chargers and Oakland(sorry LV) Raiders.

Why is this the worst game
(1) Game is utterly irrelevant. You have 2 bad teams that probably aren't even playing to loss for the #1 pick
(2) The score is utterly average. No defensive battle or lots of scoring.
(3) Teams you don't care about(for/against) with no players to root for/against on either team. Who cares about Tyrod Taylor(I think he is the Chargers QB anyway)

Most of the other examples in thread are perfectly interesting as a one off. SB53 was perfectly watchable because it was the lowest scoring SB ever, and in fact followed a SB that was completely the opposite.

Frankly, any NFL game that is draped in political correctness. Three years since I enjoyed an NFL game.

I agree, I hate when they force politics down our throat with flyovers and jingoism.

One where I don't really care about either team and where there isn't much offense.

Sloppy play - lots of holding / neutral zone infraction / false starts. Give me a grind-it-out, great defensive battle any day.
At one point last week Seattle had back-to-back false starts, followed by an offensive holding penalty.

In 1971 the Patriots had a 4th & 63 at Dallas.

And in 2011 the Bears had six false start penalties in a game at Detroit - in the first half! The two teams combined for 26 penalties for 198 yards on the night.

Three years ago La Tech had a 3rd and goal from the seven yard line .... their own 7, making it 3rd & 93.

At one point last week Seattle had back-to-back false starts, followed by an offensive holding penalty.

In 1971 the Patriots had a 4th & 63 at Dallas.

And in 2011 the Bears had six false start penalties in a game at Detroit - in the first half! The two teams combined for 26 penalties for 198 yards on the night.

Three years ago La Tech had a 3rd and goal from the seven yard line .... their own 7, making it 3rd & 93.

The only redeeming factor for situations like 4&63, or 3rd&Goal from your own 7, is that it could lead to an incredibly exciting play.

Maybe ...

Frankly, any NFL game that is draped in political correctness. Three years since I enjoyed an NFL game.
Cool dude

Titans-Jags Thursday night football

Way to many penalties or when they are blatantly skewed to one side

I was going to say non-competitive, mis-match games where one team manhandles the other. But actually, I've enjoyed most of the Patriots games like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing