PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Chandler Jones requests trade

I thought that was more the knock on Jamie Collins. Yet Collins also came back and won a ring, so you never know...
They won in 2019? Lol.

But yeah, Jones was never known as the freelancer as that was Collins. He was known to disappear when November hit.

That was Jamie Collins (drive sequence begins at 9:54)...

This was the kind of s*** that kept other teams in the game or even gave them momentum. Allowing a TD in 31 seconds after the offense scores was pathetic and they were one yard away from losing the game.

Funny how patriot nation describes Jones as only a “sack artist”

first of all.. he led the nfl in sacks.

second of all, he’s also been one of the nfls best in tackles for loss and forced fumbles, a very important stat

bottom line, we traded this elite playmaker for a bag of peanuts

second of all, he’s also been one of the nfls best in tackles for loss and forced fumbles, a very important stat

We traded him for a pick that turned into an All-Pro LG, a wide receiver who made crucial plays in one SB win, and then used some of the cap that would have been spent on Jones on Gilmore who was instrumental in another SB win. Hardly peanuts, and knowing there are two championships coming I would make that deal again 100 times out of a 100.

We traded him for a pick that turned into an All-Pro LG, a wide receiver who made crucial plays in one SB win, and then used some of the cap that would have been spent on Jones on Gilmore who was instrumental in another SB win...

Seems like a pretty darned big bag of peanuts.

You're right.

Though watch Jones on the two plays preceeding that :rolleyes:

On 1st down at the 20, to be fair, CJ's first look was to the QB, so he did his job there...Unfortunately, he was slow to re-direct to the ball-carrier; and he was given Zero help from Wilfork & especially Chris Jones, neither of whom did Their jobs at all.

On the next play, CJ obviously remembered how close he came to catching the RB from behind and wanted to get a better jump this time... Unfortunately, he forgot to do his First job and Never looked at Wilson...That mistake was compounded by Collins also forgetting one of his jobs: to understand that he was the last defender in that quarter of the field once CJ over-committed; and to therefore break down his pursuit and face up Wilson until help arrived...Instead he attempts a "look at me" tackle that failed spectacularly.

Yeah. And he went to Arizona and made them into a contender! Look at all the Lombardis they won with him! We should've had those!
/alternate universe mode off/

Yeah. And he went to Arizona and made them into a contender! Look at all the Lombardis they won with him! We should've had those!
/alternate universe mode off/
Since leaving the NEP, from 2016-2020 Chandler has pulled in $75m in CASH or $15m per season.

If fans think he is worth that based on his play here, great.

Fans can criticize BB for a lot of things but how he handled/outcome of trading Chandler isn't one of them.

There will be an interesting debate in a few years with the question of Chandler Jones being a hall of famer. He is 31 this year and will enter the league year with 97 sacks. Depending on how long he plays it seems very possible he can end up in the top 10 all time for sack leaders (it would take a bit over 140). That will almost certainly get him in, but I never looked and him and thought 'he's absolutely a hall of fame player'.

He always seems to have his sacks in bunches and the more important the moment the less effect he seems to have on the game. He's had a habit of making like 'Where's Waldo' in the playoffs. With 2 sacks in 9 playoff games. But more than that. I just don't 'feel' his effect on games when I watch them the way I do with other players. Not that he isn't a very good player. But he seems to be missing a bit of that 'it' factor for me that other top DEs I've seen on his level the last 20 years have had.

Last edited:
In 2017 he had 17 sacks and an nfl leading 28 tackles for loss. That’s insane numbers

in 2019 he had 19 sacks and an nfl leading 8 forced fumbles which is incredible

he’s every bit worth the money az gave him and we should have gotten a high first round pick in return

In 2017 he had 17 sacks and an nfl leading 28 tackles for loss. That’s insane numbers

in 2019 he had 19 sacks and an nfl leading 8 forced fumbles which is incredible

he’s every bit worth the money az gave him and we should have gotten a high first round pick in return

Agree, if anything I would say Watt got a ton of perception hype and Chandler Jones is massively underhyped. He made the all decade NFL team at his position.

Sometimes I think Pats fans are really spoiled. Why should we care what Chandler Jones did for Arizona during the time when we won 2 Super Bowls? Two freakin' Super Bowls!

I'm sure Arizona would have let us kept Jones if it meant that they would have those two Lombardi trophies instead of us. Let's recap their bounty from signing Chandler Jones:
2016 7-8
2017 8-8
2018 3-13
2019 5-10
2020 8-8

That's a 31-47 record.

And for the record, the year before Jones arrived in AZ, they went 13-3 for the #2 seed and they advanced to the NFC Conf Championship game.

One guy does not make a whole team.

felt it was a mistake to part ways initially, but given his asks, not sure it’sa god for with our roster. Pass.

Sometimes I think Pats fans are really spoiled. Why should we care what Chandler Jones did for Arizona during the time when we won 2 Super Bowls? Two freakin' Super Bowls!

I'm sure Arizona would have let us kept Jones if it meant that they would have those two Lombardi trophies instead of us. Let's recap their bounty from signing Chandler Jones:
2016 7-8
2017 8-8
2018 3-13
2019 5-10
2020 8-8

That's a 31-47 record.

And for the record, the year before Jones arrived in AZ, they went 13-3 for the #2 seed and they advanced to the NFC Conf Championship game.

Seriously? Wow.

2016 7-8
2017 8-8
2018 3-13
2019 5-10
2020 8-8

That's a 31-47 record.

Classic rebuttals on this board:

When praising a player not on the Pats: How many Super Bowls has he won?

Criticizing a player on the Pats: It’s a team game.

His contract had nothing to do with them losing. They have a terrible GM, questionable Coaching, awful drafts, bad QB play, overrated roster and they had money to burn.

Saying a defensive player doing his job very well and in the conversation for DPOTY several times, yet the reason why they were losing is a new one here on Patsfans.com.

And by the way, they gave up jack s*** for him.

Last edited:

His contract had nothing to do with them losing. They have a terrible GM, questionable Coaching, awful drafts, bad QB play, and they had money to burn.

Saying a defensive player doing his job very well and in the conversation for DPOTY several times, yet the reason why they were losing is a new one here on Patsfans.com.

Arizona started washed Carson Palmer, Blaine Gabbert, Sam Bradford, Josh Rosen, and Drew Stanton, but it was all-pro Chandler Jones preventing their Super Bowl runs :rolleyes:

What do you all actually think Jones is worth in a trade? 1 year left on his deal at a 21M cap hit. But only 5 mil is guaranteed. So it isn't like you need to put up with a bad deal here. He is 31 coming off an injury to his biceps which should be 100% healed. He will likely not take any kind of discount. If this was free agency he would be a legit top 10 player in FA no matter what I think about him as a competitor at the highest levels personally. I feel like considering all of this a high 3rd seems reasonable. A mid 2nd at most. If you got him on a good long term deal then you could consider a first, but you don't. You need to pay up and likely you will need to over pay for his play after 2 years when he starts to fall off a bit.

Belichick is never, ever going to trade for Jones.

THE END

His contract had nothing to do with them losing. They have a terrible GM, questionable Coaching, awful drafts, bad QB play, overrated roster and they had money to burn.

You got one part right. It is a team game.

FYI - the Patriots had the DPOTY in 2019 in Stephon Gilmore. Guess who came in second? What did having the DPOTY get them? Oh yeah - one & done in the playoffs. Why? Because the rest of the team wasn't good enough to win.

Having Chandler Jones on the team from 2016-2020 with the salaries he's been getting from AZ would have made it much less likely that we would have that DPOTY on the team. They certainly wouldn't have had at least one high paid player from those 2017 & 2019 Super Bowl teams on the roster if they had kept Jones.

I liked Chandler Jones when he was on the team and was disappointed we couldn't keep him. But I cannot complain about the results of letting him go and letting him get his $$ somewhere else. It worked out for both him & the Pats.

Truth be told, I miss Trey Flowers more.

I don't know why people are moving to their corners on this one. Chandler Jones is a very good player, was a very good player, and has been a great Cardinal. I don't think he's a HoF player, but anyone who denies that he's a well-above-average player is nuts (is anyone doing that here?).

I think he blew his chances of getting that huge second contract here (not sure Bill would have given him 5/75 anyway) with the distraction of that weird incident (and distraction) during the playoffs in his last year here. We were all hoping that BB would find a way to keep the big 3: HT, Jones, and Collins.

But it wasn't to be, and who can say what would have happened if the Pats had laid out the $$$ Jones wanted? It's better for him individually that he moved along, I think, because AZ lets him focus on what he does best and his numbers reflect that.

This is the saga of the Patriots for two decades - we've lost many great players, Thuney being the most recent, to contracts BB simply wouldn't match. You can argue about this one or that one, but to RainMaker's apparent dismay, it's really hard to argue with the results of that philosophy. i say with confidence that even the fans here who are half my age are never going to witness again that which we got to watch in Foxboro these last 20 years.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back