PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seconday was great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arizona needed to kick a field goal and our threads would have had a much different tone.

I think you make a good point that the threads would be different had he made the FG, and that giving up 21 isn't anything particularly special.

That said, the eye test tells us that the defense looked pretty good, got pressure on Palmer, and battled fairly well all things considered.

I think you make a good point that the threads would be different had he made the FG, and that giving up 21 isn't anything particularly special.

Giving up just 21 points to a team that averaged over 30ppg last year (with Johnson fully integrated into their entire offense now making them REALLY double threat run and pass) is one heck of a team achievement. That's a two scoring drive difference.

AZ can flat out run the ball. So your defensive zones are going to be more open as the LBs "stay home" by a step or two especially on the play action fakes. This further isolates the CBs. How many missed WR tackles were there leading to easy scores? I don't think many (if any). They caught the ball and went down.

I swear that people think zero catches in a passing league is the only statistic that counts as "good".

The (sic) need Rowe to work out badly. Logan Ryan got beat in this game like a rented mule.

Marqui in the Game Thread prior to kickoff Sunday: "This is going to be an embarrassing blowout on national TV like that Monday night Chiefs game."

At least you're consistent...

I swear that people think zero catches in a passing league is the only statistic that counts as "good".

I don't think that's even close to what was said, but okay...

I don't think that's even close to what was said, but okay...

That was for Marqui that intimated both Ryan and Butler had terrible games (and saying one of which should've been replaced by a guy that doesn't even know the playbook yet) in this thread and others. I didn't make that clear and should have.

Based on statistics that really count - scores: the secondary was pretty solid, especially only allowing TDs in short field situations and having coverage on one of those TDs that was textbook blanket coverage that required both the perfect throw and catch from a HOF receiver.

I remember receivers running free through the Pats secondary not too many years ago. I mean three or four STEPS away from the nearest defender. I remember multiple missed tackles, including touchdowns when our own secondary members took each other out allowing the WR an easy touchdown.

That's poor secondary play.

Making the WRs work hard for every catch, bringing them down with minimal or no YAC, and recovering from mistakes like the double move to get back into the play? I will take that kind of play in every game, especially in a league designed to allow WRs freedom to roam with multiple holding, interference, and contact rules. My initial point stands - the expectations of some posters is simply unrealistic and doesn't consider the realities of the game on the whole.

Show the post where I said Butler had a terrible game. And Ryan was undressed in that game as usual.

That was for Marqui that intimated both Ryan and Butler had terrible games (and saying one of which should've been replaced by a guy that doesn't even know the playbook yet) in this thread and others. I didn't make that clear and should have.

No worries. I attempted to give something of a fair and balanced view and agree with what you're saying. While there will always be room for improvement, I thought the defense battled well as a whole. Thanks for the clarification.

After watching the Bills v Jets, our secondary looks incredible by comparison.

I'm surprised Butler and the rest of the secondary still don't get the national love they deserve

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe