PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seconday was great

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, contact has to be made in order for a pick play to be called OPI. Even if contact is made, OPI may not be called if the receiver is running his route and doesn't go out of his way to impede the defender. I think most teams have designed pick plays as part of their red zone offense. If I recall correctly, Butler's interception in the SB was off of a designed pick play by Seattle but Browner blew up the designed pick.

Those are a rare breed! :)

Oh, you meant 1000K millimeters. Never mind ...
Ugh..1000k yards.

Didn't have enough coffee when I posted that.

Speaking of OPI, the Cards first reception was a blatant push off. If that was Gronk, watch the flags fly! :)

In 2015 OPI was made a point of emphasis for the officiating crews. I think Gronk went from having zero OPI in 2014 to 5 in 2015. This year it seems it is more back to normal. Brandon Marshall of the Jets was doing it all during the Jets-Bengals game and was called for it once later in the game.

I can't agree with "great." They were good enough to win, but they were hardly great. They played a top notch offensive team that was in the top five in almost every offensive category last season and likely this season too. And with that being THE consideration, they did enough and I'm happy with them. But there were enough breakdowns and lapses in coverage in spots.

Butler struggled a great portion of the game. If there is one thing about him, and it's an area that has not shown much growth on his part, it's his propensity to bite hard on double moves. Most of the times when you see him get beat on a deep pass it's because he bit on a double move. He has decent make up speed, but his lack of length shows up when he has to make a play on the ball where the receiver may have a half to a full step on him. Law was not the tallest guy, but he somehow made himself long when he had to defend a ball over the top. Butler is not as good in that regard, though he did make a hell of a play defending one of those (Brown, IIRC).

Ryan played about as well as you can against the guy he was defending - a HOFer who almost never drops a pass that his hands touch. The second TD on Ryan was about as good as it gets coverage-wise. Larry Fitz just made a play only a HOFer can (AND SHOULD) make. People killed him on the last drive, but his coverage was pretty tight there as well. All things considered, Ryan actually played well by NFL standards. You're just not going to stop a future HOFer in his 13th season . . . and you're starting your 4th. I don't really care what anyone says about that. It's the popular thing to pile onto Ryan, but I think he played well last season and last Sunday. He will get beat. He will give up the occasional play. He isn't shutdown. But he's about as good as a CB2 in this league gets and he will cash in this off season. Many teams will want his services.

Coleman was probably the best of the bunch. He played extremely well, especially down the stretch. He almost picked the ball twice, and both would have happened in big spots. I wonder where he was on the final pass where Cy gave up the play to put AZ back in field goal position. I was very pleased with Coleman since I, admittedly, get nervous with him on the field. He's got a future in the league. I expect to see some plays given up, but I also think he will continue an upward trajectory.

McCourty was his normal self, which is very very good. I loved the way he chin checked Palmer on the QB sneak in the third. And although he initially missed the tackle on the long run (the whole team did), the man ran Johnson down and could have caused a fumble. In retrospect, I don't know how Johnson held on to that ball. He showed that he's more than just a deep cover safety, playing a lot near the line and making plays in the run and short pass game. He still isn't very good when asked to cover man-to-man, though (IMO). Maybe that's why he hates it so much.

Harmon was inconspicuous, which I guess is good for a guy in the secondary. He should have picked Carson early in the game, but he was going for the tackle and not necessarily wrongly so. He was playing slap box with Johnson on the long run instead of grabbing him and bringing him down, but I know it's a hard thing to do. He at least slowed Johnson down enough for McCourty to gain ground.

Chung was ALL OVER THE FIELD. Other than the one holding penalty, he played another really really good game. He made some jaw jarring hits near the LOS . . . more than a few. He played well when asked to cover. He's just a good player and playing like his second round status now. I have no worries anymore when he is on the field, whether playing a LB-type role in the run game or as a DB in passing situations. He has earned his extension and is one of our better, albeit slightly underrated (IMO), defensive players. He has made himself indispensable. I have a real appreciation for what he brings to the team.

I am probably the biggest Logan Ryan fan on this board and even I thought he should have been benched or something.

I am probably the biggest Logan Ryan fan on this board and even I thought he should have been benched or something.
He was badly overmatched and uncompetitive against Fitzgerald. Not a lot of CBs will win that matchup but Ryan wasn't even competitive. He sucked, again.

He was badly overmatched and uncompetitive against Fitzgerald. Not a lot of CBs will win that matchup but Ryan wasn't even competitive. He sucked, again.

I struggle to see how an objective observer could come to the above conclusion(s).

Ryan gave up catches and yards at times, but I thought he competed well against top-notch competition.

Even though we gave up 271 and 2TDs they played fantastic. Butler and Ryan were phenomenal on the outside, John Brown was taken out completely, Floyd had one big catch that was a perfectly placed ball. The numbers look better because Fitz made some ridiculous plays that 99% of the league cannot make. Coleman made a couple of great plays and Devin was great. I believe our secondary is the best in the league

Would you be saying the same thing if the kicker didn't miss the 47 years field goal? He missed ZERO from that distance or shorter last year. The rookie snapper cracked under pressure.

Coverage by Jones (who played very little) gave the Cards in position for the filed goal.

Would you be saying the same thing if the kicker didn't miss the 47 years field goal? He missed ZERO from that distance or shorter last year. The rookie snapper cracked under pressure.

Coverage by Jones (who played very little) gave the Cards in position for the filed goal.

Yes, we basically held a top 5 offense in check and they needed a heroic effort from Fitz to make the numbers look decent

Yes, we basically held a top 5 offense in check and they needed a heroic effort from Fitz to make the numbers look decent

Arizona needed to kick a field goal and our threads would have had a much different tone.

Did Logan bang your girlfriend?

Revis gets killed by Green. Sean Smith gets killed by Cooks and Snead. Redskins and Norman were so scared Norman would look bad against Brown they put Breeland on Brown. Darius Slay got beat by Philip Dorsett. Jason Verrett got beat by Jeremy Maclin

But Logan Ryan gets beat by Fitzgerald for a couple of good gains and 2 TDs that were virtually impossible to defend and the typical people are out claiming Ryan to be the worst CB the Pats have ever drafted.

Front 7 was pretty good too

Pressured Palmer on 40% of his dropbacks

Wow, I didn't realize that. I was actually a little frustrated with the lack of pressure I thought we gave Palmer. I realize that we were only rushing 3 a lot on Sunday, but there were still times I was thinking "If only we still had Chandler Jones"

Arizona needed to kick a field goal and our threads would have had a much different tone.

I would have applauded them win or lose. You are always negative

Revis gets killed by Green. Sean Smith gets killed by Cooks and Snead. Redskins and Norman were so scared Norman would look bad against Brown they put Breeland on Brown. Darius Slay got beat by Philip Dorsett. Jason Verrett got beat by Jeremy Maclin

But Logan Ryan gets beat by Fitzgerald for a couple of good gains and 2 TDs that were virtually impossible to defend and the typical people are out claiming Ryan to be the worst CB the Pats have ever drafted.
Glad we have someone with a brain. People expect the top three corners to be Deion, law, and Woodson in their primes.

I would have applauded them win or lose. You are always negative
Yeah, that was stupid on his part - while disappointed I would have been just fine with this performance had we lost, considering everything.

Yeah, that was stupid on his part - while disappointed I would have been just fine with this performance had we lost, considering everything.

I agree that you would have been reasonable, as you say. You have that reach record. Obviously, Ryan and Coleman (who many folks wanted to trade and cut respectively) did absolutely great.

Others would have blamed the secondary and defense for not being able to stop ARIZ when it counts.

I would note that that Belichick wanted even more. He signed Rowe.

Great thing about Logan Ryan is he has shown steady growth as a cornerback. I thought he played well against a very tough guy who played at an all pro level.

Seemed we drafted defensive backs and they looked ok in year one, but then they stagnated or regressed.

Butler and Harmon too have shown good growth. I always thought having Revis on the team for one year would have a great impact on the young defensive backs. Whether that is the reason, we have nicely developed a home grown defensive backfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST