PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The REAL problem with the Patriots defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trade for Talib had nothing to do with Schiano at all. If you want to point fingers you gotta aim for Jason Licht.

Jason Licht didn’t join the Bucs until 2014.

Why should he be?

Over the past four seasons (2014-2017), the Pats have used draft picks to add 26 players of value (avg of 6.5 per year) - either directly or through trades of picks for established NFL players - and have added 8 UDFA who have been contributing on the active roster.

The players the Pats added in 2014-2016 have been instrumental in one way or another to getting the team to 3 AFCCGs and 2 Championship trophies (so far).

Doesn't seem like "poo" to me.

When you are picking near the bottom of the first round every year or have your picks taken away it’s tough to build a roster but Bill has done a great job.

BB has stated many times that the football is a young man’s game. As such, every team constantly needs young, developing players throughout their system. When you look at a team that is struggling badly like the Patriots, it is really obvious why this team lacks depth, talent, and performance.

Quite simply, the Patriots aren’t immune from a general rule that effects every team in the league. If you have 3-4 poor drafts in a row, the unit is going to have some major issues. You can patch holes through free agency, make a splash signing, and keep most of your core in tact, but without new blood, any unit is going to be one-dimensional and lacking scheme flexibility. While it’s not like every successful defense is under 25, most of them have a variety of players who, while developing, add athleticism and can often at least specialize in a role.

The Patriots have whiffed badly in recent drafts. The scary part is the 2017 team is relatively healthy, and their lack of depth could be a much bigger problem. Here are the draft results from the last four years (I’m omitting late round picks that didn’t pan out and focusing on higher percentage picks.)

2014- Dominique Easley (1)
2014 - Malcolm Butler (UDFA)
2015 - Malcolm Brown (1)
2015 - Geneo Grisson (3)
2015 - Trey Flowers (4)
2016 - ROBBED PICK
2016 - Cyrus Jones (2)
2016 - Vincent Valentine (3)
2016 - Elandon Roberts (6)
2017 - Derek Rivers (3)
2017 - Deatrich Wise (4)

This is an absolutely stunning lack of production. From 2010-13, over four drafts, the Patriots landed Devin McCourty, Dont’a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Chandler Jones, Duron Harmon, Logan Ryan and Nate Ebner (who is now all-pro on special teams.)

How many of these picks from 2014-17 are actually starters? Butler (being phased put), Brown (shaky), Flowers, Roberts (shaky), and Wise (seems to be moving into a lot snaps.). The first defensive players selected in each draft were Easley (almost zero production), Brown (not a bust but also not a blue chip player), Jones (almost zero production, unless you count negative plays), and Rivers (zero production due to injuries.)

Although the focus is on the poor play of the secondary (and rightfully so), I think this defense has much deeper problems. It is completely lacking depth and role players due to so many picks that ended up worst case scenario. Meanwhile, the “dynasty” players that are being asked to hold it together, may in fact be regressing as they age. McCourty is 30. Chung is 30. Hightower is great, but it’s fair to say he may slowly regress each year due to his physical issues. Butler is 27, which for a CB is a lot older than 25. Branch is 32. It’s not that these guys suddenly suck (although it’s not that they entirely don’t), but they are essentially holding the defense together, lacking help from younger players, while they are all slowly regressing from their peak performances. Gilmore made some inexcusable mistakes, but his presence isn’t the big problem here, it’s that he happened to join the team (with big expectations) just as defense was running out of fuel. Probably fair to say the entire secondary is being asked to do way, way more than these teams of the last few years.

It was good enough to make 3 AFCCGs and win 2 Super Bowls.

This should be in flashing neon lights all over the site.

The Patriots don't blitz. Their pass rush is pretty damned good. I wish people would stop saying it's not.

Really want Wise to get more snaps and not wait until later in the year. Not a huge jump but he needs more p.t.

While I'd like to see Brown make a few more splash plays, he's been pretty consistently solid from the get-go, so I'm happy about that. For the past three games, it's pretty much been him and Guy anchoring the DL, with Branch only playing a few rotational snaps the past two weeks. If that continue, perhaps Brown will get more opportunities to make splash plays as the season goes on.

Also, I didn't realize until recently that he's still only 23 years old, so there's probably still some upside there.

He certainly has room to grow but he was flat out awful vs KC and has been spotty vs the run in every game. He's not expected to be a pass rushing force but if he could merely press the interior pocket I'd be happy.

I wonder how much they miss valentine on the DL. Is he out for the season?

Really want Wise to get more snaps and not wait until later in the year. Not a huge jump but he needs more p.t.
I think using him around half the snaps in his best role is a smart move. Le him worry about rushing the passer and not get worn down playing on early downs.
He still has development to make. By next year I can see an every down player and in the long run I see a mcginest clone if he can progress.

At least one out of McClellin, Mitchell and Valentine is out for the season.

Well I hope we get mitchell and valentine back if that's the case. I know we can use another LB.

This should be in flashing neon lights all over the site.

The Patriots don't blitz. Their pass rush is pretty damned good. I wish people would stop saying it's not.
It's a losing battle.
If we don't get a 9 sacks the pass rush sucks.
If a corner allows a completion he sucks
If an OL allows a sack he sucks.
Has been and always will be that way wurhbtoo many fans that it's not worth arguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back