PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The REAL problem with the Patriots defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. LB too. If we want to ding BB the GM on something it's picking up Harris and not spending the money on a player who can offer more upside and athleticism but would one player bring the defense to respectability? No.

Over BB's tenure here the strength of this D has been its ability to is gameplan, scheming and everyone being on the same page. With the communication problems and the new players still learning, that is the major reason why they are getting torched for 30ppg.
I don't ding BB the gm for getting Harris. I ding BB the coach for not using him.

We have a defense that looks like it doesn't understand how to read a play and we have an experienced probowl LB sitting in the bench.

I expect that to change.

I don't ding BB the gm for getting Harris. I ding BB the coach for not using him.

We have a defense that looks like it doesn't understand how to read a play and we have an experienced probowl LB sitting in the bench.

I expect that to change.
Since Roberts is dinged up, Martin is back and they don't have a dynamic passing back he just might play a ton.

Since Roberts is dinged up, Martin is back and they don't have a dynamic passing back he just might play a ton.
Just because of football IQ on a defense that is looking like a Chinese fire drill he should be out there.
How much could he have lost? he played well last year.
Obviously there could be some kind of issue we don't know about but damn.

This is the SAME D without Ninko and Logan, they should not be this bad. I know they will bounce back.

Clearly misleading. Their pressure has not led to many negative plays at all....they have done a good job of collapsing the pocket, but that’s when the play begins, not when it ends. Hopefully they will fare much better against pocket quarterbacks.

This is the SAME D without Ninko and Logan, they should not be this bad. I know they will bounce back.

McCourty, Chung, and Branch are all north of 30. That’s three starters who you wouldn’t expect to be as good as last year, based on normal aging and regression. I think McCourty is fine and can play at a high level for a few more years. Chung and Branch are more concening.

You brought up Ninkovich and Ryan. They also lost Sheard and Long, who can be considered a starter (combined) as a defensive end, since they often use a rotation.

Hightower is playing defensive end due to need/injury. We are sort down an all-pro middle linebacker in this scenario.

We were hoping to see a second/third year leap from Brown, Roberts, and/or Cyrus Jones.

I agree they will be much better since they have the league’s best coaching staff. However, I don’t think they can just “flip the switch” by improving communication in the secondary. There are a lot of challenges to solve.

Just because of football IQ on a defense that is looking like a Chinese fire drill he should be out there.
How much could he have lost? he played well last year.
Obviously there could be some kind of issue we don't know about but damn.

I think the main reason is he doesn't know the defense as well as they need him to know it.

Physically he is a concern in coverage but its not like Roberts is light years better.

something to keep in mind.

The patriots have played:
Alex Smith QB rating 124
Deshaun Watson QB rating 92
Drew Brees qb rating 108
Cam Newton. QB rating 85

So they are not exactly playing against Chumps here, And The chiefs and Panthers have top 10 defenses, in addition three of them run a lot of option plays which has ALWAYS been a weakness of the patriots since as far back as the original wildcat game.

Lets give the defense time to Gel a bit more, The schedule gets easier from this point forward and we have a ton of layups to work out the kinks.

The secondary which was supposed to be the strength of this defense is now its Achilles Heel. All veteran players, they are more consumed on things other than playing and it is showing. Mistake after mistake in coverage. They let an awful Cam Newton shred them!

I think that BB needs to send them a message via getting rid of McCourty. His contract is almost untradable, but it might be a hit worth taking to get the rest to refocus of football.

Dbucky usually comes into frame after the play is over for a score or big gain. Close the barn door after the horse has left the barn. A lot of this secondary mess is on him whether the Homeboys like it or not.

Dungy and Rodney broke down a simple man in motion coverage that confused Gilmore and Dbucky. Gilmore should know, but there is no excuse for Dbucky who is supposed to be the QB of the secondary. Of course, 2 Panthers were wide open and the RB could have picked up real estate.

the pats defense right now is similar to what it was in the 2012 season.......they'll never be top 10 this year, but they will start to make more stops....they'll be good enough by the time the playoffs roll around.......

people should take this point in time and enjoy the improvements from here

Clearly misleading. Their pressure has not led to many negative plays at all....they have done a good job of collapsing the pocket, but that’s when the play begins, not when it ends. Hopefully they will fare much better against pocket quarterbacks.

4 NE pass rushers get pressure and then the other QB scrambles out of the pocket for a 1st down.

The secondary which was supposed to be the strength of this defense is now its Achilles Heel. All veteran players, they are more consumed on things other than playing and it is showing. Mistake after mistake in coverage. They let an awful Cam Newton shred them!

I think that BB needs to send them a message via getting rid of McCourty. His contract is almost untradable, but it might be a hit worth taking to get the rest to refocus of football.

The only time that DM gets his uniform dirty is when he is kneeling for the national anthem.

I dont know. I find it encouraging that if the secondary can get their **** fixed and work as one unit that there is enough pressure being generated up front to speed up QB decisions into actual coverages and tight windows.

You can have a DL with Watt, Donald, Atkins and Von Miller but they wont be able to do **** if your defensive backs are performing three stooges routines.

McCourty, Chung, and Branch are all north of 30. That’s three starters who you wouldn’t expect to be as good as last year, based on normal aging and regression. I think McCourty is fine and can play at a high level for a few more years. Chung and Branch are more concening.

You brought up Ninkovich and Ryan. They also lost Sheard and Long, who can be considered a starter (combined) as a defensive end, since they often use a rotation.

Hightower is playing defensive end due to need/injury. We are sort down an all-pro middle linebacker in this scenario.

We were hoping to see a second/third year leap from Brown, Roberts, and/or Cyrus Jones.

I agree they will be much better since they have the league’s best coaching staff. However, I don’t think they can just “flip the switch” by improving communication in the secondary. There are a lot of challenges to solve.

Safeties can play pass their 30s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft