PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Some Patriots Players Have Doubts About Cam Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going by what we've seen at QB, not by what we may have.
"What we may have" at QB is the only thing (health provided) separating this team from a playoff contender vs pretender.

If Mac is good/great and they stay healthy, this team is a legitimate contender.

He is still a former MVP and started 15 games last year...not even Stidham could break through for a start or two.
The highlighted 3 words are pretty hilarious, when linked to any positive accomplishment.

Cam could indeed suck, and Stidham suck even more. In fact, my eyes tell me so.

Cam could indeed suck, and Stidham suck even more. In fact, my eyes tell me so.

Stidham still should've started the finale vs the Jete; then we all would've had a much clearer view of his particular level of suckage, and with this more up-to-date information Bill could've proceeded accordingly...but Halas & Shula beckon, so...

"What we may have" at QB is the only thing (health provided) separating this team from a playoff contender vs pretender.

If Mac is good/great and they stay healthy, this team is a legitimate contender.

It must be stressful to choose which contradictory argument you’ll apply to make your point:

1627503807566.jpeg

I say Cam gets cut. He’s been in the league too long to have a day like this.

I’m all for starting Mac day 1.

We can’t. He will hold the team back, he is a huge liability. Passing offense has become the most critical part of the game and he simply cannot pass the ball effectively. 27th-30th is generous. Did you actually watch his play last year?
Yup, I did...all of his snaps. Most of what I saw was a QB trying to do too much and not getting much help.

Yup, I did...all of his snaps. Most of what I saw was a QB trying to do too much and not getting much help.
Trying to do too much? Where at the Gatorade bucket?
Trying to do too much? Wow I could not in a million years gather that from watching newton last year.
He didn’t do enough even despite his lack of skills.

How many times instead of buying time to escape a rush did he just throw a blind pass right at the rusher? It was a lot.
How many times did he have time and room to make a play running and instead he bounced a pass 4 yards in front of a receiver?
The only time I saw anything resembling thinking he should carry the team was when he was on the one yard line and kept running himself so he would get the TD.

If he “was trying to do too much” why didn’t he audible to passes? Why did he throw at screens on 3rd and 17, numerous times.

You literally sound like the mom of the little league who strikes out every time and drops every fly ball saying he was just trying too hard.

I don't recall Bill playing a player with less talent because of salary. It's one of the things I like most about him.
It has been reported many times, over two decades, that Belichick and other members of the coaching staff thought that Brady had outperformed Bledsoe during training camp. Has Belichick ever publicly stated this? No.

Haven't seen anyone mention this from the article: “Per a league source, multiple current teammates believe Newton simply isn’t the guy he once was.”

1627518696430.png

Haven't seen anyone mention this from the article: “Per a league source, multiple current teammates believe Newton simply isn’t the guy he once was.”

View attachment 34255

He rarely has been what “he once was.” He had a monster season in 2015 and has otherwise been largely a myth. Great athleticism, not a great passing quarterback.

The chart below is career ANY/A for active players…factors in rushing attempts, sacks, turnovers along with passing average.

The chart generally passes the eye test for ordering the best QBs from top to bottom. There are exceptions but it’s a solid overall gauge. Brees and Rivers would have pushed him further down.

Where is Newton? Fringe starter territory.

1627520836304.png

It has been reported many times, over two decades, that Belichick and other members of the coaching staff thought that Brady had outperformed Bledsoe during training camp. Has Belichick ever publicly stated this? No.
Not sure what you are implying, but a few in the media and many on this board saw Brady outplaying Bledsoe in camp.

Benching a newly signed QB for a $100M would've been really bizarre and Kraft would not allow that.

We can’t. He will hold the team back, he is a huge liability. Passing offense has become the most critical part of the game and he simply cannot pass the ball effectively. 27th-30th is generous. Did you actually watch his play last year?
Yes, how many games did they win last year with a worse roster?

You think just -maybe- that was a special case? Where you had a player who was the face of the franchise and had JUST signed a 100- million dollar contract, a coach with one 5-11 season under his belt and a sixth-round draft pick?

Trying to do too much? Where at the Gatorade bucket?
Trying to do too much? Wow I could not in a million years gather that from watching newton last year.
He didn’t do enough even despite his lack of skills.

How many times instead of buying time to escape a rush did he just throw a blind pass right at the rusher? It was a lot.
How many times did he have time and room to make a play running and instead he bounced a pass 4 yards in front of a receiver?
The only time I saw anything resembling thinking he should carry the team was when he was on the one yard line and kept running himself so he would get the TD.

If he “was trying to do too much” why didn’t he audible to passes? Why did he throw at screens on 3rd and 17, numerous times.

You literally sound like the mom of the little league who strikes out every time and drops every fly ball saying he was just trying too hard.

in particular, the Niners & Broncos games early in the season after getting hit with COVID. And again in the game @Houston...as well as the Cardinals game that I have no idea how we won.

Been rewatching the 2020 season off the DVR and I am now on week 13. And what I am seeing from my own untrained armchair QB eyes is someone who is lost and keeps pressing because he feels that outside of Meyers and Burkhead (before he got hurt) nobody was getting open and our defense kept getting gashed on the ground thereby taking running plays out of the play script. And also looked to be thinking too much which leads to poor mechanics/footwork. All fixable with a full camp and more reps so he can play fast, IMO.

Not seeing a "broken down" qb who can't throw the ball anymore. Nobody throws well off a poor platform, playing from behind unable to run, and with unreliable passing targets (not even White played all that well last year, IMO) outside of maybe Mahomes. It is all fixable with a deeper defensive line, better front 7, dramatic increase in pass catching talent, and depth at RB too even. Football is a team sport still....

It's a lot of pressure to put on a rookie but he appears to be our only hope.

He rarely has been what “he once was.” He had a monster season in 2015 and has otherwise been largely a myth. Great athleticism, not a great passing quarterback.

The chart below is career ANY/A for active players…factors in rushing attempts, sacks, turnovers along with passing average.

The chart generally passes the eye test for ordering the best QBs from top to bottom. There are exceptions but it’s a solid overall gauge. Brees and Rivers would have pushed him further down.

Where is Newton? Fringe starter territory.

View attachment 34258
Brian Hoyer > Joe Flacco o_O

What he did in 2015 is irrelevant especially when he clearly is no longer that player.
Starting ahead of a guy who no one would trade a 7th round pick for if he was on the block isn’t a ringing endorsement.
The worst starter in the league starts ahead of his backup despite there likely being many backups who could beat him out.
The patriots didn’t spend a first round pick to say he isnt good enough to surpass Stidham quality.
Newton stinks. You know it, I know it, everyone who watched him play last year (and other years as well) knows it.
It's amazing how many fans think he's acceptable as a QB. What are they watching?

It's a lot of pressure to put on a rookie but he appears to be our only hope.

I think the pressure is potentially mitigated by a few things though:

1) He doesn't HAVE to play until he's ready. We may not like Cam (and he may not be ultimately the team's preference at this point), but with an improved roster there's no reason we can't go 5-4 or 6-3 against the schedule we have. The only game that looks inherently "unwinnable" in the first 9 is Tampa Bay (just too much talent and continuity there to overcome in the early season). Other than that Miami in week 1 is tricky because division games in week 1 are always hard to predict, and @LA could be tough due to travel and a coach who might actually remember ST is part of the game. But overall the early season games are pretty tame, which is beneficial either to a team playing with Cam, or a team trying to get a rookie up to speed.

2) The offense has been built to minimize (as much as you can in this era of football) how much your QB needs to carry it on his back. Top 5 starting OL unit, solid stable of RB, two versatile TE's and one of the few teams that still carries a pure FB. It won't be the Greatest Show on Turf, but it's the kind of offense you can run effectively while still easing your young QB along in his responsibilities.

3) The defense last year was 7th in points allowed and middle of the pack in yards. They've added pieces that, even if only half of them contribute as we hope, still should improve the team, ESPECIALLY on run defense. This means not having as many desperation "Oh my god, I've got to throw us back into this lop-sided game!" moments for the rook, as well as turnovers that provide manageable field position. Parallel to this, the Pats still have one of the best ST groups in the league.

Winning a Super Bowl is definitely a stretch for this year, but it's not hard to imagine a path to being right in the mix come playoff time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes