PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Some Patriots Players Have Doubts About Cam Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been reported many times, over two decades, that Belichick and other members of the coaching staff thought that Brady had outperformed Bledsoe during training camp. Has Belichick ever publicly stated this? No.
And yet, Bill started Drew in 2001. We can only guess if or when Bill was going to replace Drew if he didn't get hurt.

Last edited:
I think the pressure is potentially mitigated by a few things though:

1) He doesn't HAVE to play until he's ready. We may not like Cam (and he may not be ultimately the team's preference at this point), but with an improved roster there's no reason we can't go 5-4 or 6-3 against the schedule we have. The only game that looks inherently "unwinnable" in the first 9 is Tampa Bay (just too much talent and continuity there to overcome in the early season). Other than that Miami in week 1 is tricky because division games in week 1 are always hard to predict, and @LA could be tough due to travel and a coach who might actually remember ST is part of the game. But overall the early season games are pretty tame, which is beneficial either to a team playing with Cam, or a team trying to get a rookie up to speed.

2) The offense has been built to minimize (as much as you can in this era of football) how much your QB needs to carry it on his back. Top 5 starting OL unit, solid stable of RB, two versatile TE's and one of the few teams that still carries a pure FB. It won't be the Greatest Show on Turf, but it's the kind of offense you can run effectively while still easing your young QB along in his responsibilities.

3) The defense last year was 7th in points allowed and middle of the pack in yards. They've added pieces that, even if only half of them contribute as we hope, still should improve the team, ESPECIALLY on run defense. This means not having as many desperation "Oh my god, I've got to throw us back into this lop-sided game!" moments for the rook, as well as turnovers that provide manageable field position. Parallel to this, the Pats still have one of the best ST groups in the league.

Winning a Super Bowl is definitely a stretch for this year, but it's not hard to imagine a path to being right in the mix come playoff time.
I agree that we've improved, but there's no way on God's green earth that we're making the playoffs with Cam. Mac is our only hope unless Stidham has improved enough to take over.

I agree that we've improved, but there's no way on God's green earth that we're making the playoffs with Cam. Mac is our only hope unless Stidham has improved enough to take over.

And here we simply disagree. I'm no big Cam fan, but they were 7-8 with him last year (likely 8-7 if we're actually allowed to practice in the two weeks leading up to Denver). It's not outrageous to think the improvements to the run D and tight ends (from which we got ZERO production in 2020) could be worth two games. The 17th game is a home game against the Cowboys, which is winnable. 11-6 with three wildcard spots gets you in 9 times out of 10. And my argument wasn't even about having Cam there all year, just that our schedule is very manageable, by Cam or otherwise, through the first half of the season. There's no need for Mac to be the savior week 1.

It must be stressful to choose which contradictory argument you’ll apply to make your point:

View attachment 34248
Not really chuckles, bad QB play is bad QB play... you can't win rings with a bad O-Line, D-Line, LB'er, DB's or even weapons either... despite what your dad told you about QB's possessing magic powers.

It's a lot of pressure to put on a rookie but he appears to be our only hope.
Agreed, it's a pressure business.

But I like his big school pedigree and history of big performances in the biggest games.

Patriots over/under is 9. I think 8 is a reasonable prediction.

Personally I think this will be a boom or bust year. Under 8 or over 11. All about Mac.
Pats got better in 2021 but unfortunately so did most other teams on their schedule and the QB is the biggest question mark of all. I have the Pats 9-8 and just missing out on the playoffs but they'll be a lot closer to them than they were last year.

If all goes well I expect a gigantic rookie leap from Mac and the Pats ready to retake the division in 2022 and be a team to reckon with in January.

Agreed, it's a pressure business.

But I like his big school pedigree and history of big performances in the biggest games.
I haven't followed college for many years. The first time I see players are when they make it in the NYFL. I was trying to think of rookie QBs who came right in and ended up a solid passer. It sometimes takes a few years.

If any QB turns out to be a solid and the Pats start winning again I'll be as happy as a pig in slop. After 40 years of missing the playoffs, then the explosion of the greatest 20 year run in history and our current down time, it would be f***ing hilarious to see them back in the hunt for a while.

Lol the defense that hasn't set foot on the field yet is elite? On paper the offense is significantly better but if we have the same QB play as last year it won't matter. I guess in sunshine and rainbows land we are all set to go 17-0.
It was a top 10 defense last year with no HT, and will be better this year. Should be Elite.

Pats got better in 2021 but unfortunately so did most other teams on their schedule and the QB is the biggest question mark of all. I have the Pats 9-8 and just missing out on the playoffs but they'll be a lot closer to them than they were last year...

Yep...I believe in fact that they could be 6-1 before facing the iron of their schedule, during which they could easily lose 7 of the next 10...

And here we simply disagree. I'm no big Cam fan, but they were 7-8 with him last year (likely 8-7 if we're actually allowed to practice in the two weeks leading up to Denver). It's not outrageous to think the improvements to the run D and tight ends (from which we got ZERO production in 2020) could be worth two games. The 17th game is a home game against the Cowboys, which is winnable. 11-6 with three wildcard spots gets you in 9 times out of 10. And my argument wasn't even about having Cam there all year, just that our schedule is very manageable, by Cam or otherwise, through the first half of the season. There's no need for Mac to be the savior week 1.
I respect that we disagree, but I'm in a much different place. I've never liked Cam and he hasn't changed one bit. He's a blowhard whose talk doesn't match his game. The fact that he ended up on the team I've been rooting for for 61 years is just my bad luck. But after the run we had I can live with anything, even Cam.

I respect that we disagree, but I'm in a much different place. I've never liked Cam and he hasn't changed one bit. He's a blowhard whose talk doesn't match his game. The fact that he ended up on the team I've been rooting for for 61 years is just my bad luck. But after the run we had I can live with anything, even Cam.

I respect the disagreement as well. And hey, it's definitely NOT a hill I'm going to die on... if Cam is the starter all year and they end up the same or worse than last year, I'll be surprised but not to the level of "I can't BELIEVE this!". He's not a man who inspires confidence by his lonesome.

As a team we are older then most. Hightower is another year over 30. Van Noy now 30. I hope we are elite but age and injuries are a factor.

"Should be" and "elite by any measure" are two different things.

Jesus do y’all want the team to be good?

if they end up Elite, “should be” and “Elite by any measure” predictions are both true...

As a team we are older then most. Hightower is another year over 30. Van Noy now 30. I hope we are elite but age and injuries are a factor.
BUTNOITSALLABTTHAQBITSAPASSINGLEAGUE

Jesus do y’all want the team to be good?

if they end up Elite, “should be” and “Elite by any measure” predictions are both true...
I don't know what you're getting all bent out of shape over. Calling the defense elite before they even started camp is foolish. Plain and simple. You can argue over the "on paper" aspect but there are far too many unknowns and new additions to the defense to just assume this will be a top 3 defense in 2021.

Agree. There is no precedent for a rookie QB coming in and seeing, for the first time, how to handle elite NFL defenses or crafty defensive coordinators, well enough to win a Superbowl. Mahomes and Brady sat a year first for good reason. Mac isn't Marino. This Pats team is built to make a run, not to rebuild just yet, so it wouldn't make sense to burn a year while a rookie QB makes every inevitable mistake and then waste maybe the last year together of McCourty, Hightower, and Gilmore.
what is this crap about last year of DMC, HT and Gilmore?? Gilmore is half out of town already, HT hid in the closet last year... its not like this is McGinest, Bruschi and Vrabel. So what that there's some good vets that might be leaving, you have to reboot when your GOAT QB leaves, and there's ZERO chances of getting anywhere with Cam - that's proven. He'd likely win more games than last year, but that won't be because he's better, it's because the team has improved a lot. So, turn the page now, stop spinning wheels.

Hightower, Judon, KVN will get most snaps. If McMillan/Hall/Langi/King pan out then I'd trade Bentley away, the guy wasn't very good last year in run-stopping and he's supposed to be a run-stopper. Also out of Wino, Uche, Wise, Jennings, Perkins 18 months from now we may only still have 2 of these guys. A logjam at LB / edge for sure.
I'd take Hall over Bentley right now. Hall showed more instinct and power in his few snaps at the end of the season than Bentley did all year.

what is this crap about last year of DMC, HT and Gilmore?? Gilmore is half out of town already, HT hid in the closet last year... its not like this is McGinest, Bruschi and Vrabel. So what that there's some good vets that might be leaving, you have to reboot when your GOAT QB leaves, and there's ZERO chances of getting anywhere with Cam - that's proven. He'd likely win more games than last year, but that won't be because he's better, it's because the team has improved a lot. So, turn the page now, stop spinning wheels.

Whether or not you prefer the dynasty 1.0 guys better, Hightower and McCourty are absolutely in the same stratum as Vrabel, Bruschi, and McGinest. Team captains, three rings each, clutch plays in the postseason, lifetime Patriots. They're not just "some good vets".

That said, I'm not endorsing the idea that we'd be "wasting" a year if the rookie plays. If he earns it, there's no reason to hold him back just based on his rookie status alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye