PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

rumor: Brady not expected to be a regular participant in offseason program

Status
Not open for further replies.
This - and not Guerrero - is the driver behind the failure to resolve the angst.

So what you're saying is it may have took over a decade but Tom Jackson has finally been proven right?

Threads like this one are becoming more and more prevalent with each passing day. They remind me of this...

...only without the food.

Funny.
Reminds me of the comical line from the movie Perfect Storm where George Clooney loudly proclaims "I ALWAYS FIND THE FISH!!"

Amendola knew he was lighting a bomb when he said Butler not playing hurt the team. And he did so because he knows that is the way many of his teammates feel.

Maybe, just maybe, its not a half dozen star players suddenly letting their feelings and egos getting in the way. Maybe, just maybe, its just a single coach who is.

Maybe, just maybe, its not a half dozen star players suddenly letting their feelings and egos getting in the way. Maybe, just maybe, its just a single coach who is.
And what would you suggest as a possible resolution to the problem? Assuming that you’re correct, which is possible.

And what would you suggest as a possible resolution to the problem? Assuming that you’re correct, which is possible.
That's the elephant in the room. Because one not need be a soothsayer to envision a possible near-future scenario: BB either quits in disgust or is fired, Brady retires, Gronk either retires or is traded and now the cupboard, while not bare, is far from full. Given my druthers, I'll keep Belichick because right now he appears to me to have far more left in the tank, so to speak. Neither Brady nor Gronk will rebuild this team, but Bill could.

That's the elephant in the room. Because one not need be a soothsayer to envision a possible near-future scenario: BB either quits in disgust or is fired, Brady retires, Gronk either retires or is traded and now the cupboard, while not bare, is far from full. Given my druthers, I'll keep Belichick because right now he appears to me to have far more left in the tank, so to speak. Neither Brady nor Gronk will rebuild this team, but Bill could.
If Belichick causes Brady and Gronk to leave, this team is going to a very dark place for a while.

Maybe, but if Brady and Gronk cause Belichick to leave, this team is going to a very dark place for longer than awhile.
The fact is all 3 are leaving sooner rather than later and it is going to be rough for a while. We are not talented enough to compensate for those losses.

Anyone else getting tired of this guy? Trade him to the Browns and see what you can get in return.

Let's give him to the 49ers for free so that Garoppolo will come back!

You mean the best coach of the best team, that has been to the big game consistently over the last 18 years. Is that the coach, or are you talking about every other coach in the league who haven't had a quarter of the success? What exactly do you people need to be satisfied?

You mean the best coach of the best team, that has been to the big game consistently over the last 18 years. Is that the coach, or are you talking about every other coach in the league who haven't had a quarter of the success? What exactly do you people need to be satisfied?

The full story would be nice.

Gasper posted this on the Twitter feed.
It is from 2010 SI article and Brady explaining why he doesn't attend the program full time.
Peter King: Tom Brady emerges from shadows of offseason
Felger was on today promoting the idea that Brady not being at these VOLUNTARY workouts is a direct slap in the face of BB. Clearly, he is completely ignoring the last 8 years.

He also was promoting Gronk's so-called rebellion and the fact that the Pats will regret not paying Danny Amendola the money. The man has absolutely no shame. He is going to ride this narrative regardless of any FACTS that make a mockery of his position. Kind of like a President I know (sorry but I couldn't help myself.....and to quote him "mission accomplished. :D )

If Belichick causes Brady and Gronk to leave, this team is going to a very dark place for a while.

As long as BB is still here, we'll be fine. If he left this team for any other, does anyone doubt that he'd be in the Superbowl within 3 years? Why would it be any different here? He'll have the team completely rebuilt within 2 years of Brady's departure. Bet the house on it.

As long as BB is still here, we'll be fine. If he left this team for any other, does anyone doubt that he'd be in the Superbowl within 3 years?

Depends on the team, I suppose.

Felger was on today promoting the idea that Brady not being at these VOLUNTARY workouts is a direct slap in the face of BB. Clearly, he is completely ignoring the last 8 years.

He also was promoting Gronk's so-called rebellion and the fact that the Pats will regret not paying Danny Amendola the money. The man has absolutely no shame. He is going to ride this narrative regardless of any FACTS that make a mockery of his position. Kind of like a President I know (sorry but I couldn't help myself.....and to quote him "mission accomplished. :D )
Aside from strongly disagreeing with him about the Amendola situation due to cost, what are these “facts” that you are disputing?

Has Brady not been a staple of the voluntary workouts throughout his career, besides missing a day, last year? Haven’t the leaders and players been there so often that we’ve basically thrown the term “voluntary” out the window? Does Gronk not have a 250k incentive tied up in a certain amount of participation in voluntary workouts?

You’ve been on this “it’s all BS” kick for almost 3 months, despite numerous developments. Maybe you’re right and it doesn’t end up being that big of a deal, but how can anyone continue to pretend that there aren’t some potentially serious issues that need to be addressed? Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear as though Belichick or the front office have done much to smooth things over in the almost 3 months since the SB.

Aside from strongly disagreeing with him about the Amendola situation due to cost, what are these “facts” that you are disputing?

Has Brady not been a staple of the voluntary workouts throughout his career, besides missing a day, last year? Haven’t the leaders and players been there so often that we’ve basically thrown the term “voluntary” out the window? Does Gronk not have a 250k incentive tied up in a certain amount of participation in voluntary workouts?

You’ve been on this “it’s all BS” kick for almost 3 months, despite numerous developments. Maybe you’re right and it doesn’t end up being that big of a deal, but how can anyone continue to pretend that there aren’t some potentially serious issues that need to be addressed? Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear as though Belichick or the front office have done much to smooth things over in the almost 3 months since the SB.

First, Brady HAS not been a "staple of the voluntary workouts" for close to a decade now. Did you not read King's 2010 article? I'm sure he will show up this week and will be there on and off throughout the workouts, but he won't be winning a parking spot soon. Those days were gone when his kids started coming. And this has been a consistent pattern for a long time now. But THIS year the fact he won't be there virtually every day has become a media storm. Where was this story last season, and the season before that, and the season before that...

And just what are these "developments"? The only "serious" issue to be addressed is Gronk's, and that is nothing different than what we've seen over and over again. A player who is under contract doesn't think he's getting paid enough. Why is it THIS year that this issue has suddenly become a sign of the coming apocalypse? It's not like we haven't seen it before.

Gronk has very little leverage, and like most players in this position, the only thing he can do is not show up to any of the voluntary stuff. BTW- I don't remember Gronk ever getting one of those parking slots over the last 8 years either. Again the question, why such a big deal THIS year.

BTW- I'm still waiting for Gronk to man up and actually come out and state his grievances....assuming any of this is more than just rumor, conjecture, and speculation. A very good case can be made that he is underpaid relative to the stupid money that WR's get these days. Few would blame him if he asked for more, so why doesn't he just come out and say it.....IF all the conjecture has any truth to it that is.

As for Gronk's $250,000 workout bonus, it would be interesting to see if he's been qualifying for it in past years. I'm pretty sure he has. I'd also like to know what percentage of the workouts he has to be at to qualify for it. 60%? 80%? And again, today was the first day. Let's see how it plays out over the next few weeks.

I know Gronk is tight with a buck but in the great scheme of things, IF he is as pissed as the mediots would like us to believe, I doubt $250,000 would be enough of a reason for him to show up.

As for Amendola. I only listen to Felger in the car, and only in very short samples, and for the last week or so, he's really been on a kick to blast the Pats for not paying DA. He went as far as declaring that they should have given DA the money they gave Chung. At which point my head exploded and I shut it off. :rolleyes:

First, Brady HAS not been a "staple of the voluntary workouts" for close to a decade now. Did you not read King's 2010 article? I'm sure he will show up this week and will be there on and off throughout the workouts, but he won't be winning a parking spot soon. Those days were gone when his kids started coming. And this has been a consistent pattern for a long time now. But THIS year the fact he won't be there virtually every day has become a media storm. Where was this story last season, and the season before that, and the season before that...

And just what are these "developments"? The only "serious" issue to be addressed is Gronk's, and that is nothing different than what we've seen over and over again. A player who is under contract doesn't think he's getting paid enough. Why is it THIS year that this issue has suddenly become a sign of the coming apocalypse? It's not like we haven't seen it before.

Gronk has very little leverage, and like most players in this position, the only thing he can do is not show up to any of the voluntary stuff. BTW- I don't remember Gronk ever getting one of those parking slots over the last 8 years either. Again the question, why such a big deal THIS year.

BTW- I'm still waiting for Gronk to man up and actually come out and state his grievances....assuming any of this is more than just rumor, conjecture, and speculation. A very good case can be made that he is underpaid relative to the stupid money that WR's get these days. Few would blame him if he asked for more, so why doesn't he just come out and say it.....IF all the conjecture has any truth to it that is.

As for Gronk's $250,000 workout bonus, it would be interesting to see if he's been qualifying for it in past years. I'm pretty sure he has. I'd also like to know what percentage of the workouts he has to be at to qualify for it. 60%? 80%? And again, today was the first day. Let's see how it plays out over the next few weeks.

I know Gronk is tight with a buck but in the great scheme of things, IF he is as pissed as the mediots would like us to believe, I doubt $250,000 would be enough of a reason for him to show up.

As for Amendola. I only listen to Felger in the car, and only in very short samples, and for the last week or so, he's really been on a kick to blast the Pats for not paying DA. He went as far as declaring that they should have given DA the money they gave Chung. At which point my head exploded and I shut it off. :rolleyes:
I was under the impression that the only day that Brady had missed last year in 2017 was the opener. I did not see King’s article, no. Where can I find the link? You’re saying that Brady has regularly chosen to sit out many days of the voluntary camps in the past? That’s news to me.

As for Gronk, there are now 18 skill position players who are making more than he is for 2018, and I’d venture to say that all but several are both less important and less productive, when you factor in being the league’s best blocking TE and allowing the team the flexibility to go hurry up by keeping him on the field. He’s got a very good case for more money, yes. An excellent one.

There’s obviously friction between some of the players and the coaching staff. Again, I respect your opinion but I disagree with the suggestion that this goes on every year and that it’s being blown up for nothing more than media attention. Both Brady and Gronk have the ability to make it all go away instantly, but yet they haven’t. Why do you think that is?

Some of the developments would include the statements from players, numerous media reports (they can’t all be wrong) that have been occurring for months, Bob Kraft’s own admission that there is tension, the fact that we all watched Brady go from “5 more years” at the start of the season to “I hope that I can find that conviction, again” at the end of the season (sprinkled in with shots of him having to go and hide out with blackened barriers in the upper level suite just to get his medical treatment), Brady’s newfound social media presence “liking” some of the controversial statements made about Butler’s benching and Amendola being “free,” and most importantly—the fact that neither player has put an end to the negative speculation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft