PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster Decisions

With an Union that is more and more concerned with protecting veterans’ jobs, what the NFL should do is allow 3rd day drafted players plus a couple of UDFAs per team to be assigned to the PS without being subjected to waivers and be allowed unlimited promotions to the 48 man game roster. Those players could have split level contracts like you see in hockey being paid, say, half the rookie minimum for games not activated and the full rookie minimum for games in which they’re on the 48.

With the off-season and training camp being lessened, this would allow teams to continue working with prospects while preserving 53 man spots for the veterans who would otherwise be released to protect the promising rookies from waivers.

I know that people really hate Harry on here, but I think Gunner is a lot more likely to battling for the 5th WR spot than Harry. I also think Bryant is more likely to be battling for the 4th corner spot than Williams.

I hope they don't keep 3 quarterbacks but I would be surprised if they didn't.

Normally I would expect at least one UDFA to make the team but it's hard to project that since the Pats have yet to sign any so far. Injuries will also be a part of this unfortunately.

Love the 53 man roster post! Can't wait for the season to start!
Gunner is a Pro Bowl return man! What value does Harry give the Patriots on ST? I am hoping that Gunner can develop into a reliable slot receiver. I don't have room on this team for an underperforming player like Harry.

Gunner is a Pro Bowl return man! What value does Harry give the Patriots on ST? I am hoping that Gunner can develop into a reliable slot receiver. I don't have room on this team for an underperforming player like Harry.
Gunner has a roster spot as a returner. I don't see him getting reps at WR. After all, we will have at least 3 active WR's, 2 active TE's, and 2 active RB/FB's who will receiving options in any game before they think of Gunner.

I think that Zuber would have a better chance at unseating Harry than Gunner.

We are discussing the backup #4 WR spot, one that will be inactive in most games. This spot is primarily a backup for Agholor and Meyer as outside receivers.

I like Keene.

All the rooks last year were behind the 8 ball. Just gotta see what they are made of.
After last year’s draft. An un-named GM supposedly told Keane he was the biggest a-hole on film they scouted. Told him he should take it as a compliment

No 53 man roster from me but a couple thoughts. With the extra game it would be useful and make sense to increase the 53 to a 55 man roster. (Not to mention preclude a couple difficult roster cuts) I like the idea of protecting say 3 to 4 members of the PS. The observation of requiring a 9 - 10 man OL due to the extra game is spot on. The increased roster or protected PS would address that problem.

I think it is more likely that if Newton earns the starting QB job we go with three QBs. If Jones or Stidham win out then I can see cutting Newton and going with two QBs. Not sure we, or Newton, want Newton on the team if he is not the starter to begin the season. If he is the starter you must project he may not be later in the year, which is why we need 3 QBs to start. If not the beginning starter then keeping just the two makes sense as I see either Jones or Stidham as able back-up QBs in a 2-man QB roster.

We'll no doubt have less roster decisions than we think by September. A few camp injuries, a few on PUP etc and the difficult decisions will become a little easier. For that reason, it doesn't make sense to trade anyone until late August. I personally think Winovich is the most likely to get traded - he's a player that doesn't look like ever becoming a full time player for us but others in the league may rate him highly for his pass rushing ability. I could see us getting a 3rd or 4th rounder for him, or a player for player swap.

I don't buy the Michel or Harry rumours.

We'll no doubt have less roster decisions than we think by September. A few camp injuries, a few on PUP etc and the difficult decisions will become a little easier. For that reason, it doesn't make sense to trade anyone until late August. I personally think Winovich is the most likely to get traded - he's a player that doesn't look like ever becoming a full time player for us but others in the league may rate him highly for his pass rushing ability. I could see us getting a 3rd or 4th rounder for him, or a player for player swap.

I don't buy the Michel or Harry rumours.

this is the perfect year to stash 6 to be12 bodies on the pup!

The D usually has 3 players with there hand on the ground instead of 4. A 3-3 front is more likely I believe.

Doubt it; that formation makes no sense, even more so since we do Not have a true NT in the building.

Doubt it; that formation makes no sense, even more so since we do Not have a true NT in the building.
Yeah your right. I previously read the chart wrong...

1620741982951.png

Gunner has a roster spot as a returner. I don't see him getting reps at WR. After all, we will have at least 3 active WR's, 2 active TE's, and 2 active RB/FB's who will receiving options in any game before they think of Gunner.

I think that Zuber would have a better chance at unseating Harry than Gunner.

We are discussing the backup #4 WR spot, one that will be inactive in most games. This spot is primarily a backup for Agholor and Meyer as outside receivers.

Up to this point, Gunner obviously has made his living as a punt returner but I am not ready to give up on him as a slot receiver. He has the fearlessness, quickness and change of direction ability of a slot guy. I’m hoping that now that he is entering year 3, he will start to flash WR potential. I expected him to put on more size in the patriots strength and conditioning program. Still looks too skinny to me.

If the WR position had been better-managed, Meyers would've made a nice #4/5 with the ability & field intelligence to back up all 3 X-Y-Z spots...

We still need another legit deep threat on the outside, at the very least to serve as Agholor's backup/replacement in case of injury or if/when he starts to suck again...That's why not re-signing Damiere Byrd made Zero Feckin Sense whatsoever.

Yeah your right. I previously read the chart wrong...

View attachment 32854

I'm actually a little surprised at how often our defense used 4-3 looks in 2007 & '08 while we still had Seymour, Jarvis Green, Ty Warren & Mike Wright as classic First Dynasty DEs...maybe Warren moved inside on those occasions...

Another thing I noticed was the reduction of 3-3-5 looks in 2012 after Hightower & Chandler Jones arrived...To me that's when the shift from First Dynasty bend but don't break to more aggressive kill the QB looks started...

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back