PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rondo: Give me a PG that can shoot...

mcgraw_wv

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ok, So I'm not a HUGE basketball fan, but I watched the playoffs, most of the games, and all of the finals.

How the hell does Rondo have a roster spot? I know he's fast and good at dishing the ball out.

But last night, not 1 Laker respected Rondo's ability to shoot the basketball, which allowed the Lakers to crash the boards, and double and triple team garnet, and anyone else around the paint.

So many times Rondo was at the top opf the key with not a defender around for 10 feet, and he wasn't even thinking shooting.

Give me a point guard who can shoot the ball.

Plus, it seems his MO is those lazy shot put type sots which he hope floats to the basket.

Overall, I'm not impressed, based on all the hype, I was expecting something more. Based on her performance in this series, I don't think he's even a mid range Point Guard.

Ok, So I'm not a HUGE basketball fan, but I watched the playoffs, most of the games, and all of the finals.

How the hell does Rondo have a roster spot? I know he's fast and good at dishing the ball out.

But last night, not 1 Laker respected Rondo's ability to shoot the basketball, which allowed the Lakers to crash the boards, and double and triple team garnet, and anyone else around the paint.

So many times Rondo was at the top opf the key with not a defender around for 10 feet, and he wasn't even thinking shooting.

Plus, it seems his MO is those lazy shot put type sots which he hope floats to the basket.

Overall, I'm not impressed, based on all the hype, I was expecting something more. Based on her performance in this series, I don't think he's even a mid range Point Guard.

Not a huge basketball fan? You literally must've just starting watching last nite.

Rondo is the only reason they made it that far. He was their best player in the regular season - by far - and their best player in the playoffs, again, likely by far - in spite of some struggles against LA. He had a great game last nite and was damn near a triple double.

He MUST learn to shoot. That is true. But not every player can attack you in every part of the court. The only guy in the league that can do that is Kobe.

Going forward, Rondo is the guy they need to build this team around. I hate to say it, but everyone else is expendable and replaceable. If it weren't for Rondo, they would've been a .500 team, at best, this season.

Rondo is a great young player. Basketball doesn't come down to just shooting. There is much more to it than that. Rondo can Make plays and move the ball to where it needs to be to make the basket. He gets so many rebounds for his size and he is all over the court. If he improves his shooting he will be extraordinary.

I do see Rondo with wide open shots all the time, even 2 pointers and he doesn't attempt. He will improve and then he will be a fearful player.

Last edited:
Let me just be short and simple here: Rondo is a good PG. He can dish it out, he can crash the board for rebounds, he's a natural team leader, and he can take it to the hole. If he could shoot worth a damn, he'd be an elite PG in this league. I expect him to work on that area of his game this summer.

We pay Rondo 7 mill per year, which was controversial when he signed it. If he could shoot mid-range jumpers and make FT's he would be worth 20 mill/yr. For what we pay him, he's worth every penny and then some.

Flashback to game 4 of the Cleveland series - Cavs spank Celtics in game 3, game 4 is close going into the 4th qtr. It looks like the Cavs were on their way to start their wrap up, until Rondo comes up big in the 4th, and the Celts coast the series from there.

Without Rondo, the Cavs would probably be holding up the NBA Finals trophy.

In addition to what everybody else has said, Rondo's midrange jumper in the playoffs may be the best it has been in his career.

And while it was only one shot, he actually hit a 3 at the end.

I think they lost game 7 precisely because they stopped using Rondo, and running the offense, as they had most of the year. The offense stagnates when it starts with Pierce with the ball at the top if the key. Last night was even worse than usual, as Artest repeatedly stripped or disrupted Pierce up top.

When Kobe was guarding him, they did the worse thing they could do by keeping it out of his hands so much, as that permitted Kobe to sag off and be a menace in the lanes and on the glass. If he had instead attacked Kobe, Kobe would have won some, but he also would have lost some, been forced to work on 1-on-1 defense and maybe picked up fouls.

Rondo is no worse than 5th best point guard in the NBA, imo

Ever hear of a player named Dennis Johnson? He was pretty good. Another player named, Larry Bird, called Dennis Johnson the smartest player he ever played with. Dennis Johnson had trouble shooting the ball as well. Should Dennis Johnson have started?

I don't understand the lack of respect for Rondo...

#1 he's an outstanding defensive player - he disrupts their play and often forces turnovers (see #2)

#2. When the Celts rebound and/or force turnovers, Rondo excells in the fast break full court transition game

Look at the stats from the last 2 games against the Lakers. You can't blame Rondo for the lack of rebounds - and by dominating the boards the Lakers were able to minimize Rondo's effectiveness.

Rondo's not a perfect player but if the team can rebound and play defense, that translates into a big offensive showing for Rondo. The rest of the team needs to do their part.

Whatever changes are in store for next season, we need strong rebounding.

rondo is the best thing the Celtics have going for them. this thread is moronic to say the least. :rolleyes:

Not a huge basketball fan? You literally must've just starting watching last nite.

Rondo is the only reason they made it that far. He was their best player in the regular season - by far - and their best player in the playoffs, again, likely by far - in spite of some struggles against LA. He had a great game last nite and was damn near a triple double.

He MUST learn to shoot. That is true. But not every player can attack you in every part of the court. The only guy in the league that can do that is Kobe.

Going forward, Rondo is the guy they need to build this team around. I hate to say it, but everyone else is expendable and replaceable. If it weren't for Rondo, they would've been a .500 team, at best, this season.

I have to agree with this. Without Rondo, I doubt we would've even made it past the Cavs, let alone the very last game 7 of the season. Rondo's jumpshot has drastically improved over the last season, it's surprising. I'm sure he'll get better.

Magic Johnson didn't have a jump shot early in his career, he was a pretty decent PG.

I expect Rondo to work on this part of his game.

Magic Johnson didn't have a jump shot early in his career, he was a pretty decent PG.

I expect Rondo to work on this part of his game.

I think Rondo needs to work on FT shooting before anything else.....His game is getting to the hoop which in turn he gets fouled and needs to hit at least 75% from the line.....His foul line jumper has come along quite well but I just can't see him ever being a consistent 3 point shooter as he has inconsistent form....

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back