PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roethlisberger deliberately fumbled ball to spite coaching staff

Dunno if this is true....but LOL @ Gradowski saying that the Steelers changed the play call so Ben could be aware of whether the FB lined up behind him or off to the side.

Very telling about the disorganization out in Pittsburgh during the Haley era....

Dunno if this is true....but LOL @ Gradowski saying that the Steelers changed the play call so Ben could be aware of whether the FB lined up behind him or off to the side.

Very telling about the disorganization out in Pittsburgh during the Haley era....
NO WAY DUDE! the Steelers are the gold standard of the league! The 1b to TB12's 1A would NEVER have that little an intellect! He spends HOURS in the film room! Wow! SMH!

???

From the article:

Perhaps LeVeon Bell will convince you (from his SI Interview/Article):

"There have been inklings all offseason of other factors that played a part in Bell’s departure. After Brown forced a trade to the Raiders earlier this month, he expressed frustrations with Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Another former Steeler, running back Josh Harris, was more pointed, asserting that Roethlisberger once intentionally fumbled the ball to protest a play call. Bell says Roethlisberger wasn’t the only factor in his wanting to leave Pittsburgh—but “yes, it was a factor.”

Bell says he and Roethlisberger didn’t quite vibe; Bell wishes they’d shared a “more open, more genuine, more real” relationship. He says players didn’t feel like they were treated by the QB as being on the same level as him. “Quarterbacks are leaders; it is what it is,” Bell says. But “you’re still a teammate at the end of the day. You’re not Kevin Colbert. You’re not [team president Art] Rooney.” (On the subject of quarterbacks in general, Bell says that, given the chance to do everything over, “I’d be playing QB.” Or, he says, in the NBA, where contracts are fully guaranteed and players are compensated by production, not position.)

Despite his output in 2017, when he was named an All-Pro for the second time, Bell says he didn’t feel as if the Steelers’ game plans were designed to feature him or that he had a stake in what plays were being called. He acknowledges, “Ben is a great quarterback,” but says Roethlisberger’s personal preferences played a role in who was given the opportunity to make plays.

Says Bell, “The organization wants to win. Tomlin wants to win. Ben wants to win—but Ben wants to win his way, and that’s tough to play with. Ben won a Super Bowl, but he won when he was younger. Now he’s at this stage where he tries to control everything, and [the team] let him get there.

He adds: “So if I’m mad at a player and I’m not throwing him the ball—if I’m not throwing A.B. the ball and I’m giving JuJu [Smith-Schuster] all the shine or Jesse [James] or Vance [McDonald] or whoever it is, and you know consciously you’re making your other receiver mad but you don’t care—it’s hard to win that way.”

At times last season, Bell’s feelings about wanting out of Pittsburgh were mutual. When he didn’t report for Week 1 after missing camp, as he had the previous season, his linemen spoke out publicly. Center Maurkice Pouncey called Bell “a little selfish”; guard Ramon Foster said Bell “doesn’t give a damn.” Bell says he never told anyone he’d be there Week 1, though it’s clear his plan was fluid, influenced by the feelings hurt in negotiations and by his teammates’ public comments.

The missed opportunity, for a team with a now-37-year-old QB, isn’t lost on anyone, including Bell, who says, “If I’d played this year, we would have won the Super Bowl. Think about the weapons we had. I would have been unhappy as hell, but if I was sprinkled in. . . . When we were winning games, it wasn’t bothering me how much I was getting the ball. Last year was our year, that’s why I didn’t understand why they didn’t just get it done. They had the money. Get it done and go win a Super Bowl.”

Of course, I am LOL-ing at his statement that if he was playing the Steelers would have won the Super Bowl.

Because he criticized him not for the things you state, but for running the wrong route in a loss.

A does not immunize from B, in this case.

Perhaps LeVeon Bell will convince you (from his SI Interview/Article):

There's nothing really revelatory in that piece, and nothing that should change anyone's position, in any direction.

There's nothing really revelatory in that piece, and nothing that should change anyone's position, in any direction.
Um, ok, except you said that BR has a "style" that works for him and questioned why I was calling him a Big ***, and I was just trying to show you that I'm not the only one who might attach that moniker to him. His teammates feel the same way. If you don't feel that's revealing or relevant, that's your prerogative.

Burfict, Hill and Ben in our forum ...

Ian will need disinfectant and a steam cleaner now.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back