PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodgers hidden turnovers

Cliffs? Sorry to be that guy.. not looking to click on a link, with the OP leaving everyone to do their own research and conclusions as a starting point for this thread.

Busting balls aside..that Packers forum seems to be pretty reasonable for the most part with their assessment. He’s almost too much of the anti-Favre in the sense he doesn’t take risks (even moderate ones), and his team suffers because of it. Won’t hear that from most talking heads though..the finger of blame always seems to go elsewhere.

The Packers O-line during the Rodgers era has been pretty good in pass pro. I don’t know how they’re expected to hold up time after time when Rodgers makes unnecessary roll outs. Is the OL just suppose to assume he’ll be 10-15 yards away from where he drops back each time in any given direction and then adjust accordingly without being able to turn and see where Rodgers is?

Last edited:
Based on this opinion:

When It All Goes Bad
When we talk about quarterback turnovers, we focus on interceptions, but that’s a bit myopic, especially considering how much of the offense the quarterback controls. Rodgers is among the league leaders in sacks taken, and while you might be tempted to blame the offensive line for that fact (and sometimes they deserve it), Rodgers is the primary culprit. He loves to hold the ball, waiting for the big play, and he is also willing to take a sack instead of throwing a risky pass, but while many sacks are preferable to interceptions, third down sacks are a different story. Fifty-six percent of Rodgers’ sacks have occurred on third or fourth down, and, while sacks on third down are common (because passing on third down is common), Russell Wilson, who also takes a lot of sacks (32 so far this season to Rodgers’ 30) has been sacked on third or fourth down just 43% of the time.

Taking sacks preserves his QB rating

It’s sad but he may be doing some things that maximizes his stats instead of helps the team

Kind of like a football version of James Harden. Guy only takes layups or 3’s and flops constantly for free throws, and when the shot clock is winding down he has a history of late passes to teammates to avoid taking a bad late clock shot which affects his field goal percentage

Based on this opinion:

An opinion that includes this flawed premise:
"Those third down sacks, fourth down failures and fumbles add up. In the aggregate, they are just as devastating as the occasional interception..."

I am only acquainted with the author's stuff from the occasional SB Nation pieces of his that I have read so I'm not in a position to call out his overall football knowledge but I do take exception to that conclusion. Last I checked teams are still allowed to punt after a 3rd down sack. Which means 'in the aggregate' they are nowhere near "as devastating as the occasional interception."

An opinion that includes this flawed premise:
"Those third down sacks, fourth down failures and fumbles add up. In the aggregate, they are just as devastating as the occasional interception..."

I am only acquainted with the author's stuff from the occasional SB Nation pieces of his that I have read so I'm not in a position to call out his overall football knowledge but I do take exception to that conclusion. Last I checked teams are still allowed to punt after a 3rd down sack. Which means 'in the aggregate' they are nowhere near "as devastating as the occasional interception."

In fairness I don't think he's arguing that 1 sack on 3rd down = 1 interception. Just that they're a negative play that Rodgers has at a high rate, which adds up. In 10 starts he already has 30 sacks for 207 yards lost.

On 3rd down, what can you do? You have to take the sack, you can't throw the ball away. Either way, it's 4th down so... If he's doing that on 1st or 2nd down, it's a problem. 3rd down? Not so much.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back