PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP John Madden

iowahawk_super_70s_baseball_crank_john_madden_12-28-2021-scaled.jpg

My in-laws lived in the same town a Madden when he was coaching the Raiders. My FIL was the manager at the bank John used and they became acquaintances. Years later, they met at an event and Madden remembered him - "good to see you banker." John was a great guy

One of my favorite memories of Madden is when he told us he believed all the HOF busts in Canton all talked to each other when the lights were turned off. Classic John Madden

Iconic voice. Him and Summerall were legendary. When they did the games, you knew it was a big one. Nobody comes close to these guys.

Madden and Pat Summerall were the faces of the NFL in the 1980s and 1990s. The best broadcasters of the best conference during that era. I was a kid during all of that. It’ll sound a little strange, but to me, more than anything, having them broadcast my Patriots in SB 31 and then again as winners in SB 36 and announcing them as NFL champions, was the ultimate sign that our team had arrived. We were finally a real, winning, respected NFL franchise instead of a punchline. That’s just how much John Madden *was* football.

RIP to someone who brought a lot of joy to others, and someone whom I’ve never heard anyone say a bad thing about... other than that he was a Raider. :)

Meant so much to so many different people for different things. One of the most accomplished football lives ever.

RIP Coach.

Madden and Summerall ... One of the best duos to ever sit in the booth. No one had as much love and passion for the game.

Made Thanksgiving Lions games somewhat bearable.

What's also crazy in general is the fact there aren't people anywhere close to him coming up through the ranks. For those of us who are older, we got to see and listen to some unbelievable moments and calls by some unbelievable people. I know Madden hadn't called a game in many years, but it doesn't change the fact that every time we lose one, it's another reminder of how rare people like him and the few who are left (Al Michaels, etc) really are.

I’m surprised Vin Scully did football. He is a Dodgers legend. Like Chick Hearn with the Lakers, you watched the games to hear his voice.

I just watched his special on fox Christmas day. It's very sad news. What a great life he lived. RIP.

Reactions: Ian
RIP John. He was a major contributor both on and off the field to the game of football!

John Madden and Pat Summerall defined my childhood. This SUCKS

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft