PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP John Madden

the ultimate sign that our team had arrived. We were finally a real, winning, respected NFL franchise instead of a punchline.
Sorry to dampen the mood but no.

The Patriots were real, and winning, in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Local and national media have done everything in their power to denigrate, dismiss and ignore the truth.

Billy Sullivan had shortcomings that have been trumpeted to make him out to be worse than all the legion of sick, twisted, racist, greed-driven petty NFL owners throughout history. He did what it took to have a homeless yet highly competitive team in the 60's, then with no government support built one of only a half dozen privately funded stadiums in the country, and hired the 'controversial' coach who made the Patriots seriously good within a year, and two years later Super Bowl champions but for unparalleled atrocities at a time when winning an NFL title was reserved for only the elite.

Three fake scandals, one with made up allegations and the other two with barely existent infractions, including stolen top draft picks and $millions spent to suspend Tom Brady for nothing as though he were Greg Hardy or Ray Rice, contradict any illusion of being 'respected'.

The media's eternal false laughingstock narrative perpetuates their schtick using the Patriots as a punchline. From losing their minds when the Patriots went 2-14 in 1981, which I apparently am the only person ever who knows or mentions that was the one (1) losing season they had in 13 years, to grounds crew at the SuperDome complaining that the Patriots' logo was too intricate to comfortably paint in the end zone, derision of the team in ignorance and/or denigration of their on field accomplishments has been out of control since the merger in 1970.

Anti-Patriots hysteria was already in full force then, and the fact it has only intensified every year since, with help from Kraft's stupid flying elvis, contributes to this:

The passing of John Madden yesterday, along with the death of Ben Dreith last April, first and foremost punctuate that December 18, 1976 and its aftermath will perpetuate in infamy forever.

He was a very confident yet down to earth analyst. And he made his point that 1st year QB starter, no timeouts, 1:20 left on the clock, ball on your own 20, it's tough. In the same clip he goes from "Play for OT" to "Now I'm liking what they're doing" to "Goosebumps". And it elevated Brady on a national stage. The sequence was so great.

I also just read this was Madden's last call for Fox. He then went to CBS the following season

CBS was where he started it was a big Coup for FOX to get Madden/Summerall where to got the NFC games from CBS, in the 80's the AFC was on NBC and the NFC was on CBS. Fox came into the game later on.

I watched Football where Summerall was kicking for the Giants and remember Madden when he was a coach. He was the coach when the Patriots were robbed in 76 AFC playoffs.

Last edited:
A giant. If you’re interested, look here to read about what he did after Darryl Stingley’s tragic injury

I was never a big fan of his announcing, and he was coach of the hated Raiders. His best role was in the Lite Beer commercials in the 70's and early 80's. If you are too young to remember them, seek them out. Must be on Youtube.

What makes me mourn his passing the most would be Madden's dedication to Daryl Stingley after he was left paralyzed by the piece of garbage Tatum.

During the 3 months Stingley spent in a California hospital, John Madden was a daily visitor to Stingley. Madden was devastated by the injury and the human compassion he showed went above and beyond what would have been expected of an opposing coach. He and Stingley remained friends for the rest of their lives.

We can never truly know what type of person a stranger really is. Because of that, I rarely mourn the passing of a celebrity. However, given Madden's compassion and devotion to Stingley, I feel safe assuming Madden was a good man. RIP.
I appreciate what he did for Darryl.

I do not appreciate all the abuse of the Patriots team which was already out of control and should have been shoved in their faces in 1976 and wasn't through no fault of the team, and instead intensified astronomically each and every one of the 45 years since. Bullsh*t is bullsh*t.

He could have earned his title the next year, instead of having it stolen and given to him.

Yeah it really was a great story about what Coach Madden did for Darryl Stingley.

Tatum could have learned something from his coach.

Actually the Patriots coaches at the time could've learned something from Madden. They basically left Stingley alone in the hospital.

`Get Fairbanks Off That Plane’

At the hospital, John Madden discovered Darryl Stingley was being prepared for surgery. Hurrying through the waiting room downstairs, he went up to surgery where a doctor he knew lent him a surgeon's gown. Inside the operating room, he comforted Darryl Stingley, then he left 1^ phone the Oakland Airport where the Patriots were on their chartered jetliner for the flight back to Boston that night. He was under the impression that the Patriots had abandonned their paralyzed player.

“You get Chuck Fairbanks off that plane,” told an airport man. “I've got to talk to him.”

When the Patriots’ coach came to the phone, he explained to John Madden that a front‐office man had stayed behind and was busy at the Patriots’ motel. But the next day, when Darryl Stingley's wife arrived from Chicago, the Raiders’ coach invited her to stay with him and his wife at their home. She declined, preferring to sleep at the hospital in an office near the intensive care ward. But throughout her stay there, until her husband was transferred in an air ambulance to the Chicago Rehabilitation Institute, she often went to the Madden's home for dinner. Virginia Madden also visited the hospital regularly to comfort her.

“On the'field, we play hard,” John Madden told a friend not long ago. “But when something like Darryl's injury hapwe're all in this game together.”

Actually the Patriots coaches at the time could've learned something from Madden. They basically left Stingley alone in the hospital.
Team (mis)management contributed to this; it's ridiculous to believe all the coaches and players were not concerned and distraught.

Chuck Sullivan shamefully yelled that the team was not honoring the contract extension they'd just agreed to; I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to risk spending money to take a later flight out.

"What Tom Brady just did, gives me goosebumps"

Yep; on the one hand his team, UNQUESTIONABLY the dirtiest in the league during and after his tenure there, was gift-wrapped a PO victory they did not ****ing deserve… On the other hand, the quote above is Nothing Less than one of the most Iconic moments in the history of sports broadcasting…

RIP coach, but it’s not like I’m going to light a candle for him either.

p.s.: His man-love for Brett Favre was a ****ing embarrassment.

p.p.s.: As someone mentioned earlier, his Miller Lite commercials were better in some ways than his actual broadcasting, especially in the post-2001 seasons…

p.p.s.2: I’m an Analog Kid, and have Never played Madden NFL, so his name being associated with that game means nothing whatsoever to me.

I’m surprised Vin Scully did football. He is a Dodgers legend. Like Chick Hearn with the Lakers, you watched the games to hear his voice.

Jack Buck, you-know-who’s dad and long-time voice of the St Louis Baseball Cardinals, was the radio play-by-play voice of the 1981 NFCCG between Dallas & SF (his color analyst that day was Pat Summerall)…

Tony Romo ****ing sucks.
Romo was a lazy NFL player who prioritized golf over his craft
And his broadcasts reflect this same work ethic

Cudos to Tony for attending practices and remembering formations for specific plays, then acting as if it is his mind-bending intuition that enables him to know what play is next.
Other broadcasters who recognize formations typically bite their tongue so as not to spoil the plot.
Not Tony, he's special

PS....Jim Nance is just mailing it in these days. These two are perfect together.

Cudos to Tony for attending practices and remembering formations for specific plays, then acting as if it is his mind-bending intuition that enables him to know what play is next.
Other broadcasters who recognize formations typically bite their tongue so as not to spoil the plot.
Not Tony, he's special

PS....Jim Nance is just mailing it in these days. These two are perfect together.
Jim has been bad since taking over for Greg Gumbel in 2004. Why CBS thought replacing Gumbel (who I thought was just fine) with the studio host (who also called golf tournaments) mind boggling. For years he sounded like he was still calling a golf tournament during NFL games. At least Tony brought some energy out of him.

Al Michael’s on the other hand, has mailed it in for years and now he’s doubled down doing games when he feels like it. His last best year were with Madden after having some rough years with ABC shuffling this team. Remember the atrocious Dennis Miller years?

What’s funny about Romo knowing these plays is that it didn’t seem to help him in crucial moments when he played.

Last edited:

Not Tony, he's special

So unknown Romo didn't work his butt off to make the Cowboys roster? I dunno, among all the possible football analysts and announcers I would put Romo in the top5.

So unknown Romo didn't work his butt off to make the Cowboys roster? I dunno, among all the possible football analysts and announcers I would put Romo in the top5.
Although he he’s geeky at times, it’s interesting to hear what a QB is thinking seeing these defenses.

Jim has been bad since taking over for Greg Gumbel in 2004. Why CBS thought replacing Gumbel (who I thought was just fine) with the studio host (who also called golf tournaments) mind boggling. For years he sounded like he was still calling a golf tournament during NFL games. At least Tony brought some energy out of him.

Al Michael’s on the other hand, has mailed it in for years and now he’s doubled down doing games when he feels like it. His last best year were with Madden after having some rough years with ABC shuffling this team. Remember the atrocious Dennis Miller years?

What’s funny about Romo knowing these plays is that it didn’t seem to help him in crucial moments when he played.

Agree that Gumbel > Nantz;

Al Michaels needs to retire… He’s way Way behind in the play, so far behind that his call never matches the actual excitement of the moment, but rather sounds anti-climactic all the dam time.

Romo’s main problem is that he doesn’t know when to ****ing shut up; instead he’s usually babbling some variation of: “ohhh… ahhh… I don’t know Jim…there’s one down here, there’s two up here… ohhh… ahhh…”. Right up to the ****ing snap.

One former jock now in the booth who brings excitement to his analysis, yet hasn’t fallen for the Lie that he has to babble right up to the snap, is Greg Olsen… Hope he continues to improve his craft, which Romo never Ever did…

It's not how he got there but what he did once he secured the position.
And to quote my buddy who's the biggest Dallas fan and has lived in Big D all his life ....."All the guy thinks about is golf"

RIP John. I just watched the special on him before Sunday's games. Eerie that he would pass away suddenly right after that. I feel badly for his wife and two sons. They were obviously a close family.

Peyton could be a great analyst if he choose to do that.

It's not how he got there but what he did once he secured the position.
And to quote my buddy who's the biggest Dallas fan and has lived in Big D all his life ....."All the guy thinks about is golf"

I don't follow Dallas closely so maybe he got complacent after he became the starter. And he did choke as a QB. But I don't get the hate on him as an analyst. There aren't a lot of good football analysts, I think he's one of the decent ones. Who is better ??

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back