PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP John Madden

Watch EAs greedy ass try to make money off this for the next game

A piece of football left

Madden was one of the greatest in this sport

An icon...a true legend...awesome broadcaster...what he did for Stingley is impossible to forget...a real men

Riposa in pace John "football is what i am"
For sure you will be always remembered

Last edited:
John Madden was the voice of the NFL when it took off in Britain in the 80s. He taught us the game. You'd see the back or the quarterback make a play and he'd explain how it wouldn't have happened without that "big ole lineman". Condolences to those who loved him.

Boom forever!

RIP and Godspeed, Coach.

To me he was the voice of football , this is not to take away from his other achievements, When I first started watching or listening to football it was always his voice that I heard. A great loss.

Yeah it really was a great story about what Coach Madden did for Darryl Stingley.

Tatum could have learned something from his coach.

RIP. The voice of football for me and my football watching friends. We still do our Madden impression when an announcer says something completely obvious like he used to do.

Wonderful article with so many great stories of John Madden. Paints a very clear picture of a warm, generous, kind soul who also was committed to excellence in whatever he did.

What's also crazy in general is the fact there aren't people anywhere close to him coming up through the ranks. For those of us who are older, we got to see and listen to some unbelievable moments and calls by some unbelievable people. I know Madden hadn't called a game in many years, but it doesn't change the fact that every time we lose one, it's another reminder of how rare people like him and the few who are left (Al Michaels, etc) really are.
Romo looks like he might be cut from the same cloth as a commentator.

John Madden explains the 1985 Bears defense right before they play the Patriots in the Superbowl.

And the aforementioned goosebumps statement game call, 15 years later.

Last edited:
RIP to a great football coach, analyst and character! Condolences to his family!

I was never a big fan of his announcing, and he was coach of the hated Raiders. His best role was in the Lite Beer commercials in the 70's and early 80's. If you are too young to remember them, seek them out. Must be on Youtube.

What makes me mourn his passing the most would be Madden's dedication to Daryl Stingley after he was left paralyzed by the piece of garbage Tatum.

During the 3 months Stingley spent in a California hospital, John Madden was a daily visitor to Stingley. Madden was devastated by the injury and the human compassion he showed went above and beyond what would have been expected of an opposing coach. He and Stingley remained friends for the rest of their lives.

We can never truly know what type of person a stranger really is. Because of that, I rarely mourn the passing of a celebrity. However, given Madden's compassion and devotion to Stingley, I feel safe assuming Madden was a good man. RIP.
Great post

"What Tom Brady just did, gives me goosebumps"

That‘s what made Madden so good, he wasn’t scared to take a risk or to be wrong, on that drive he admitted he was wrong and then said that famous line. Announcers can be looking at a replay and they still won‘t say what they think in fear of being wrong.

That‘s what made Madden so good, he wasn’t scared to take a risk or to be wrong, on that drive he admitted he was wrong and then said that famous line. Announcers can be looking at a replay and they still won‘t say what they think in fear of being wrong.

He was a very confident yet down to earth analyst. And he made his point that 1st year QB starter, no timeouts, 1:20 left on the clock, ball on your own 20, it's tough. In the same clip he goes from "Play for OT" to "Now I'm liking what they're doing" to "Goosebumps". And it elevated Brady on a national stage. The sequence was so great.

I also just read this was Madden's last call for Fox. He then went to CBS the following season

Godspeed Coach. A true legend. No one can ever fill his shoes.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back