PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Resetting for day 2 of the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my prediction for the Pats strategy in Day 2: Trade Down, Trade Down, Trade Down!

Pats don't have a 3rd or 4th round pick now. I feel they can trade down from #43 and even #63 and get similar value.

I was despondent about last nights picks but my girl freind pointed out that the ones I liked from before never made the team. She’s talking about ealy who was not a pick but the point she made does have some merit. I wanted certain picks before but someone else got them and they were not good. This is why nfl scouts won’t employ me
Yet the scouts would like to speak with your GF.

Playing devil's advocate, in what positions could we actually pick a player and they could come in and start for us? It seems like Wynn and Michel are clear upgrades over what we have.

There aren't many players left who are going to come in and be upgrades over what we have. I'd say an upgrade at the Jordan Richards big safety/cover LB position is one, maybe at slot corner or 2nd tight end. Everything else is just depth at this point or planning for next year.

Lol. It is true. Aaron Donald and Mo's talents wouldnt be best suited for a 2 gap system. It would be a waste

Would you put Tom Brady in the wishbone.
When players are put into a scheme that doesnt play to their strengths, it makes it harder for them to succeed

You missed the point I was trying to make. If the Patriots could draft an Aaron Donald clone they do it no question. I know he wouldn't fit 2 gap. That is why you change your system to fit him. You don't need to change everything but to say you can't find a place for a guy like Donald on the field is insane.

Last edited:
What if Lorenzo Carter is already on the roster?
#derekrivers

(let's not forget he was playing mostly off-line LB in TC before injury and was groomed by Ninko a bit . slightly less explosive but stronger - in other words pat type)

#derekrivers

(let's not forget he was playing mostly off-line LB in TC before injury and was groomed by Ninko a bit . slightly less explosive but stronger - in other words pat type)

Slightly Different players. I think carter might be a little more versatile than rivers on 3rd down. Rivers probably has a better outlook as a pass rusher. Carter could probably be a line backer in a 4 man front. There is room on this team for both

You missed the point I was trying to make. If the Patriots could draft an Aaron Donald clone they do it no question. I know he wouldn't fit 2 gap. That is why you change your system to fit him. You don't need to change everything but to say you can't find a place for a guy like Donald on the field is insane.

Would they though???

Here is my prediction for the Pats strategy in Day 2: Trade Down, Trade Down, Trade Down!

Pats don't have a 3rd or 4th round pick now. I feel they can trade down from #43 and even #63 and get similar value.
Maybe. I don't think they should trade down from 43 though. I predict at least 1 steal will fall that far. Several first round level talents are still on the board and it would be very unlucky for them to all be gone by the time 43 comes. But you never know.

Trade Gilleslie and the 5th we just received to move right in front of LA to draft Rudolph.

Trade Gilleslie and the 5th we just received to move right in front of LA to draft Rudolph.

Would you trade a 2nd for Gillislee and a 5th, particularly in this RB class?

Hopefully we trade either 2nd rounder for a 2019 1st, then take the best on our board betweem TE/LB then QB

IMO Dallas could be desperate to trade up for Sutton. Take our 2nd for a 1st 2019 plus a 4th

#derekrivers

Rivers was playing on the line lb, ie a stand up DE.
If you call our d as 425 he is a defensive end. If you call it a 335 he is an olb who only drops into coverage if we want to rush 3.
But he could have a big role, part of which would be to eliminate the need to put Hightower out there in that role.

Playing devil's advocate, in what positions could we actually pick a player and they could come in and start for us? It seems like Wynn and Michel are clear upgrades over what we have.

There aren't many players left who are going to come in and be upgrades over what we have. I'd say an upgrade at the Jordan Richards big safety/cover LB position is one, maybe at slot corner or 2nd tight end. Everything else is just depth at this point or planning for next year.

good thinking

i have star S/LB & slot CB open as well, move TE could be one also (with Allen, Niklas solid competition for blocking TE).

Harrison made a lot of sense before Chung extension.
Tony Brown is intriguing but still raw.
Deep “hybrid“ class. maybe i post later.

Dawson was visiting so who knows what that was all about.
Just watching D.J.Reed - very intriguing. A bit smaller than Ryan but faster, more aggressive.
Toliver had a down yr but looked impressive at times in 2016 so there might be value. Both possibly Day 3 so after missing on Jaire, Hughes maybe best to adress this tomorrow and on Sunday of course!
Plenty of intriguing options later that Pats worked out: Crossen, Seisay,TSmith,
etc

the rest is future/depth i agree

above all developmental QB please

Hopefully we trade either 2nd rounder for a 2019 1st, then take the best on our board betweem TE/LB then QB

IMO Dallas could be desperate to trade up for Sutton. Take our 2nd for a 1st 2019 plus a 4th
Don’t want to draft a TE the year. At least not early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes