PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Resetting for day 2 of the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on Rudolph?

I wouldn't hate the pick at 43 but where they've committed to Brady I want starters. I also think the Giants will take him or somebody else trade above the Pats making it moot. This defense needs some players.

Rudolph doesn't throw with enough velocity, which is a big part our offensive plan. Short/medium range passes thrown with velocity into tight windows, timing is everything. He can throw deep, but his passes are soft and a bit floaty. Also he panics when the pocket collapses.

Hubbard, Landry, Jackson or Carter

IMO the QB isnt there this year. If by some fluke one of the big 4 fell to us yesterday sure, but i think we have a chance to really reload at other positions. I like Jackson at CB but he will be gone. Hubbard , Key or Sweat today would make me happy

Justin Reid. Elite athleticism, man coverage abilities of a CB & obviously a sound player. Him & Landry are my highest rated defenders left but clearly the NFL (& probably BB) has a problem with his edge setting.

Reid would be a steal at 43. I also love Sutton's value & fit in our offense although some fans would lose it with three offensive players.

Justin Reid
Lorenzo Carter
Josh Sweat
Harold Landry (injury issues?)
Rasheem Green
Josh Jackson
Isaiah Oliver
Carlton Davis
Ronnie Harrison
Maurice Hurst
Harrison Phillips
Sam Hubbard
Duke Dawson

Plenty of defensive talent still available.

Sorry, manx, but Dawson is the only CB on your list that is tough enough for my liking at the position and has slot versatility (has other issues though).

The Oliver NE hype is strange to me . just saw a bit of him but every snap confirms hard verdict: soft, avoids hard contact. Also not great tackling, run support. I know there are many flaws in every prospect but these seem major to me. (Lombardi: if your corner can't tackle you can't balance your D)

Davis gets burnt and PI-ed too much.

JJ projects zone corner only by Lombardi as well.

Id prefer a physical corner with slot versatility - slot is open starting position for 2018 although our JJ made nice progress there (but might ultimately not be his strength).

Didn't watch enough of them. Tony Brown could be a nice pick up w CB/S/slot/star versatility..

Last edited:
So many good players available. Hoping for a LB like Carter or a good secondary player like Reid, Harrison,Jackson, Davis.

Some pretty good De and Dt's still on the board as well.

How do you evaluate Okoronkwo?

Justin Reid
Lorenzo Carter
Josh Sweat
Harold Landry (injury issues?)
Rasheem Green
Josh Jackson
Isaiah Oliver
Carlton Davis
Ronnie Harrison
Maurice Hurst
Harrison Phillips
Sam Hubbard
Duke Dawson

Plenty of defensive talent still available.

Matt Miller said on his podcast that Harold Landry's medical red flags is causing his fall & could be as late round 2.

How do you evaluate Okoronkwo?

Not one I’ve studied because I didn’t see him fitting the Patriot norms. Sorry, I can’t help there.

Matt Miller said on his podcast that Harold Landry's medical red flags is causing his fall & could be as late round 2.

I think Landry and Hurst are both off a lot of boards because of injury.

Not one I’ve studied because I didn’t see him fitting the Patriot norms. Sorry, I can’t help there.

Too small. I agree. He's a poor man's Beasley from Atlanta. Not a fit.

Don't punch the messenger, but the best player available when the Patriots draft will likely be James Daniels. There's a report that the Pats tried to trade up for a pure C, Ragnow.

So watch BB grab Daniels and half the board jumps off that ledge.

There are a lot of good D players left, sure, but Landry really doesn't fit BB's scheme, for example, and no one else really seems to stand head and shoulders above the others at the position who will fall to Round 3 or 4, from everything I'm reading. I like Malik Jefferson, but when the scouting reports say that he doesn't really process well.

I like Lorenzo Carter, but is he really that much better than the others left at that position?

Don't punch the messenger, but the best player available when the Patriots draft will likely be James Daniels. There's a report that the Pats tried to trade up for a pure C, Ragnow.

So watch BB grab Daniels and half the board jumps off that ledge.

There are a lot of good D players left, sure, but Landry really doesn't fit BB's scheme, for example, and no one else really seems to stand head and shoulders above the others at the position who will fall to Round 3 or 4, from everything I'm reading. I like Malik Jefferson, but when the scouting reports say that he doesn't really process well.

I like Lorenzo Carter, but is he really that much better than the others left at that position?

Daniels is excellent and wouldn’t object at all. We’ll end up challenging the Cowboys for the best OL at that rate. Justin Reid is top of my board though atm.

This is not the official day 2 thread. Just talking about the prospects that are left.

My personal top 10 guys left (not counting OL or RB now)

Maurice Hurst (DT)
Harold Landry (EDGE)
Josh Jackson (CB)
Isaiah Oliver (CB)
Mike Gesiski (TE)
Dallas Goedaert (TE)

-gap-

Mark Andrews (TE)
Justin Reid (S)
Ronnie Harrison (S)
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (EDGE)

Who do you personally hope they pick? What do they target? LB seems a little thin right now but is the only need spot they have that lacks options going into day 2.
I would like Lorenzo Carter, another Bulldog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents