PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports are the Pats may upgrade the WRs through trade (not necessarily Hopkins)

@BaconGrundleCandy never mind, I see what you mean. Thicker lower body than most WRs. I'd be interested to see where he goes.

Yup, lower half is swollen. Just plays lower to the ground than most. Makes occasional plays above his head.

We'll see but yea he's a fun one.

There's a bunch of smaller slots like Addison, JSN, Flowers, Downs, Reed, Dell and Tyler Scott but a couple of guys closer to Meyers size would be Rashee Rice and Jalin Hyatt.

Both are faster, more sudden/twitched up but are more comparable in size. Which is important to us. Out of those two I'd say Rice. He's more familiar with the short/intermediate areas and blocks his butt off. I like Rice a lot.

Parker Washington's is another name I haven't heard mentioned but he's really fun. Think he's in my Tier 2 or 3. In a RB body playing WR. Very effective and tough in open space. Again he's built like a RB and shows off his elusiveness,contact balance every game. Smaller but like Dell for example he'll occasionally go up and make a play.

Will Rice be there in the 3rd round? Or is he likely to go higher?

I just want more explosive weapons for Mac (& BOB). Thornton was a nice start, and seemed to mesh with Mac late in the season. Mondre is a beast, and it’ll be interesting to see Pierre Strong’s sophomore season. But the WR position severely lacks weapons DC’s need to game-plan for. That needs to change.

What Would be exciting is if Obrein help Smith breakout.
Would be a fun weapon for this offense.
Bring back an athletic tough fullback.
Let’s find the next Kyle Juseck.

@BaconGrundleCandy never mind, I see what you mean. Thicker lower body than most WRs. I'd be interested to see where he goes.

His QB frequently sent hospital balls his way. He's very tough. Takes a hit.

Sure handed, ran a lot of WR screens.

3rd or 4th round, for me, but he could be a Welker/Edelman type.

Smith sucks. He isn’t breaking out

Will Rice be there in the 3rd round? Or is he likely to go higher?
He's heading in that 2nd RD range for me. Especially if he runs a 4.4 and jumps 35 + on his vert at 6'2/205 with 33" arms.

Hes got a presence, awareness about him on the field but especially running routes and with the ball in his hands. He's a natural over the MOF.

He'd be on the short list of my Meyers replacements.

Love Meyers and want him here. Hate talking like this bc hes been a good player, super reliable on 3rd down and great teammate. Guy outplayed a 1st RD WR and is about to cash in so I dont blame him at all if he leaves for more money.
Jack Colletto is one of my favorites. Came in as a QB. Experience at LB and now FB/TE hybrid. Tough kid nicknamed "jackhammer" played on ST as well.

Javon Williams and Hunter Luepke can both catch the ball. Luepke averaged 6 + per clip on the ground. Another guy I really like is Monte Pottebaum. Like Colletto spent time at LB before switching. Has like 10 rec but will block his ass off. Few other but those three would be top of my list.

He's heading in that 2nd RD range for me. Especially if he runs a 4.4 and jumps 35 + on his vert at 6'2/205 with 33" arms.

Hes got a presence, awareness about him on the field but especially running routes and with the ball in his hands. He's a natural over the MOF.

He'd be on the short list of my Meyers replacements.

Love Meyers and want him here. Hate talking like this bc hes been a good player, super reliable on 3rd down and great teammate. Guy outplayed a 1st RD WR and is about to cash in so I dont blame him at all if he leaves for more money.

Jack Colletto is one of my favorites. Came in as a QB. Experience at LB and now FB/TE hybrid. Tough kid nicknamed "jackhammer" played on ST as well.

Javon Williams and Hunter Luepke can both catch the ball. Luepke averaged 6 + per clip on the ground. Another guy I really like is Monte Pottebaum. Like Colletto spent time at LB before switching. Has like 10 rec but will block his ass off. Few other but those three would be top of my list.

Jack Colletto? Sounds like another Swiss-Army type that BB likes. Especially if he can play on STs.. I think Colletto would be really nice with one of the 4th rounders or trading one back into the 5th round to take.

Love the Wildcat stuff they gave him.. I could see him being the kind of weapon that could be used for fake punts or some of the trick plays that are in the Pats play-book.
Colletto - A red-shirt Senior, won the Paul Hornung award this year for most versatile player. He played LB, QB, and FB. That's pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Jack Colletto? Sounds like another Swiss-Army type that BB likes. Especially if he can play on STs.. I think Colletto would be really nice with one of the 4th rounders or trading one back into the 5th round to take.

Love the Wildcat stuff they gave him.. I could see him being the kind of weapon that could be used for fake punts or some of the trick plays that are in the Pats play-book.
Colletto - A red-shirt Senior, won the Paul Hornung award this year for most versatile player. He played LB, QB, and FB. That's pretty awesome.

Thanks. Rice's highlights are far more impressive IMO.

Thanks. Rice's highlights are far more impressive IMO.

Rice is a WR who may slip into the 1st round. Colletto is a 5th round or later pick who will be a Special Teamer who has to earn reps on offense.

Why would you even attempt to compare the two?

@BaconGundy what do you think of Dontay Demus? Gotta say I'm impressed love his overall game looks like a man among boys.

Rice is a WR who may slip into the 1st round. Colletto is a 5th round or later pick who will be a Special Teamer who has to earn reps on offense.

Why would you even attempt to compare the two?

We are talking. Chatting. No need to do deep analysis and be critical - relax and chat. You might like it if you try.

Clearly the Pats have had much better luck poaching NFL WRs (Moss, Welker, Amendola ) than drafting (Branch, Edleman are the only ones who didn't suck that come to mind). That being said, the Harry and Thorton misses really hurt, as better WR were passed over for these busts.

Hopkins is getting older and has been hurt, and I doubt he wants to play under BoB, so I would rule him out. Michael Thomas is a UFA, but he too is over 30 and I don't think he has played in a couple of years due to injury.

D.J. Chark's contract voids on 2/10, so the Lions are going to have fish or cut bait with him before then. I wouldn't mind the Pats going after him. Other UFAs JuJu is still only 27 and Mercole Hartman can fly. Maybe a JuJu Junno route combination!

We are talking. Chatting. No need to do deep analysis and be critical - relax and chat. You might like it if you try.
No. We aren't "chatting". You jumped into the conversation with the equivalent of "I love EVs" when people are talking about Muscle cars.

If I wasn't "relaxed" I would have posted a bleep filled post calling you all sorts of names and questioning your intelligence. Instead, I asked you a simple civil question. Try not projecting onto others. You might like it.

Aren't we paying Agholor 15million for no production? And Jonnu smith?

But some posters here don't think Meyers is worth that? He's our edelman
No. Agholor was 11m/per for two years - the only reason the CAP hit ballooned in year 2 was because it was saved the hit in year one. He's not, and never has been, getting an AAV of 15m.

By the way, 11m/per is low WR2 money (non-rookie) right now.

Smith sucks. He isn’t breaking out
Does he? How would we know?
In two years, 30 games, Smith has been targeted 84 times (less than 3/game).

He's caught more than 65% of those, average 9.8+ per reception.

You can't catch what ain't thrown to you. If there's a flaw that's stopping him from getting more chances, then sure, you're correct. If it's coaching and scheme, they screwed up royally by signing a guy they had no intention of using correctly for that kind of money.

This has been an ongoing flaw in the New England system from where I'm sitting. We hear that "Brady throws to the open receiver" so we draft a guy who doesn't get separation?

We watch Agholor having his best year running outside routes, so we sign him for decent money and fill him short of intermediate routes (where he failed in Philly)?

Said a long, long time ago that if I was a receiver coming out, the last place I'd want to play (if I thought I could be great) was New England, even in the later Brady years. I stand by that. At some point, maybe they'll figure out the round peg/round hole system, but they left Deebo (or AJ Brown) AND Hunter Refrow (both of whom expressed a desire to be in New England, and both of whom with a reputation of finding the holes and YAC) sitting on the board. Mind-boggling.

No. Agholor was 11m/per for two years - the only reason the CAP hit ballooned in year 2 was because it was saved the hit in year one. He's not, and never has been, getting an AAV of 15m.

By the way, 11m/per is low WR2 money (non-rookie) right now.

If it's low why are people balking at 15 million for a guy who had 1000 yards?

Clearly the Pats have had much better luck poaching NFL WRs (Moss, Welker, Amendola ) than drafting (Branch, Edleman are the only ones who didn't suck that come to mind). That being said, the Harry and Thorton misses really hurt, as better WR were passed over for these busts.

Hopkins is getting older and has been hurt, and I doubt he wants to play under BoB, so I would rule him out. Michael Thomas is a UFA, but he too is over 30 and I don't think he has played in a couple of years due to injury.

D.J. Chark's contract voids on 2/10, so the Lions are going to have fish or cut bait with him before then. I wouldn't mind the Pats going after him. Other UFAs JuJu is still only 27 and Mercole Hartman can fly. Maybe a JuJu Junno route combination!
I wouldn't call Thornton a miss just yet, let's see how he does under next year's offense.

Yup he's got some serious adaptability. Big fan and I'm pulling for him.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back