PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports are the Pats may upgrade the WRs through trade (not necessarily Hopkins)

I still Want CB Marcus Jones in the Slot on Defense. I know he's fast but I would Draft Tank Dell who's a bonifide WR prospect.
I like that idea! I say M. Jones in slot because this season has to be all about scoring.. yes we have to stop teams too..

But to compete, and get back In contention we are going to need speed and the ability to get down field fast to score.

He helps us tremendously in that aspect, the kid is special I'd like him on offense and ST

At one time we had a QB who made the Receivers better. Sort of Sounds like other way around now.

It isn't the other way around, but an elite #1 WR has a lot more value to a team today than in the past. It is how the game has changed.

It isn't the other way around, but an elite #1 WR has a lot more value to a team today than in the past. It is how the game has changed.
I named off a handful of WRs that didn't pan out here... he claimed they weren't good..

I am sure the Nelson Agholor experiment left a bitter taste in GM/BB's mouth I wonder if that would make them shy away from this years FA WR class?? This is a weak FA WR class from all accounts if J Meyers is considered the Top well you have problems. I would try to get one of these three Chark - Hardman or Campbell they are all Fast!

Unless Agholor was a Josh McDaniels suggestion as I think he was. When you look at the WRs he had a hand in drafting, the number that worked out is 2. Demeryius Thomas and Eric Decker. I'm not including anyone in the 6th/7th rounds because they're expected to be Special teamers 1st and anything they give on offense is a bonus. Though I'd have noted if there were any like that.

2006: Chad Jackson - 2nd Round *
2007: None
2008: None
Broncos 2009: Kenny McKinley - 5th round.
Broncos 2010: Thomas and Decker
2013: Aaron Dobson - 2nd round, Josh Boyce - 4th round
2014: None
2015: None
2016: Malcolm Mitchell
2017: None
2018: Braxton Berrios
2019: N'Keal Harry
2020: None

*2006 - It's been well noted that Belichick sided with McDaniels against Daboll and the scouts in regards to selecting Jackson and with McDaniels in regards to Maroney.

It gets worse for McDaniels if you look at RBs and TEs that He'd have had a hand in drafting.

Parris Campbell for 3 years 15 million 7 million guaranteed .

Then move Marcus to slot trade down from 14 to say 25 and get extra draft pick in early 30s . Draft zay flowers , kelee Ringo and Darnell wright. Game plan around Bourne and jonnu. it's either a swim or sink with them . Hope Thornton becomes a better version of agholor and doesn't have those dropsies.

What about charlie Jones from Purdue.looks a bit like Edelman . Good school . Great speed . Nice jump cuts . Nice routes . Screams a pat to me...

Last edited:
Can't imagine he is that cheap.
What about charlie Jones from Purdue.looks a bit like Edelman . Good school . Great speed . Nice jump cuts . Nice routes . Screams a pat to me...

Amazing eye-hand coordination. Does not look too fast. His quickness drills, 3cone, will be interesting.

I like that idea! I say M. Jones in slot because this season has to be all about scoring.. yes we have to stop teams too..

But to compete, and get back In contention we are going to need speed and the ability to get down field fast to score.

He helps us tremendously in that aspect, the kid is special I'd like him on offense and ST
tank dell is also from houston. so very similar to marcus jones. but if we already have marcus tank dell might be redundant.

how about michael wilson in 3rd round. seems a solid player with great physicals . sub 4.5 speed, 6'2 height and 215 pounds .great route running. this guy is going to be the steal of the draft with possibly parker washington.

check this video and his interview. missed a lot of games. could be this years pickens kind of pick. his physicals are similar to davante adams. could be our X guy after parker next year. he absolutely lit up in senior bowl. very limited tape. expect him to be a riser after combine.

Last edited:
Can't imagine he is that cheap.

Amazing eye-hand coordination. Does not look too fast. His quickness drills, 3cone, will be interesting.
he actually looks super fast than his stated speed 4.5. @BaconGrundleCandy your views on charlie jones and michael wilson and potential draft rounds?

he actually looks super fast than his stated speed 4.5. @BaconGrundleCandy your views on charlie jones and michael wilson and potential draft rounds?

We will see what his 40 time is. Doesn't look fast to me - the guys chasing him look super slow. In one series he is running against LBs. If you look at Purdue's football schedule you can see it is low level Div. 1.

Great hands and twisting catches that would work well over the middle out of the slot. Finds soft spots, let's hope he is NFL quick.

I haven't officially got around to Jones yet but very familiar. Both are mid-late round guys but I like Wilson a lot more. Id take a shot with him 3 or 4. Jones probably 5-6. I actually just finished up on like 20 WR and 15 OL. I'll talk about a few OL I like that aren't getting mentioned but just touched on WR in my thread.

Last edited:

Then move Marcus to slot trade down from 14 to say 25 and get extra draft pick in early 30s . Draft zay flowers , kelee Ringo and Darnell wright. Game plan around Bourne and jonnu. it's either a swim or sink with them . Hope Thornton becomes a better version of agholor and doesn't have those dropsies.

Why do you think the Patriots would have Campbell on their radar at all? Guy has had 1 healthy season in 4. Not to mention that, Here's a guy who's "Break out" year was 600 yards for 9.8 YPR and 3 TDs? OH.. With 5 drops on 91 targets. And you want that as an outside receiver?

You are all over the place and it doesn't make a whole lotta sense.
You want to Sign Campbell AND draft Flowers AND draft Charlie Jones. That's the equivalent of burying Thornton and not giving him a chance. You'd also be basically eliminating Marcus Jones from taking offensive snaps because you'd have too many other assets that you've committed to.

Then you game plan around just 2 players? Do you understand how game planning works? Game plans are done on a game by game basis depending on what the opposing defense has for assets.

The Pats roster under BOB was allowed to shine because of their usage of the 2 TE offense and BOBs understanding of complimentary plays. To do this, they need to address the O-line as everyone has acknowledged. But they'll likely carry 3TEs or put a FB out there.
With Parker, Bourne and Thornton, the Pats are going to be looking for complimentary guys to put behind them. NOT guys to take their places. That's why I don't see Campbell being added. It's more likely they're going to add a receiver who can play both the outside AND the slot in the draft. Someone to be learning behind Bourne. That way Thornton can learn behind both of them.

As I stated a few times, the best use of Thornton's talents is to hit him in stride. That means hitting him in stride on Slants, GOs, Posts, and Corners. Bourne is the guy who just makes things happen. When Patricia FINALLY got him on the field, things happened. GOOD things. They need to use that. Bourne is a catalyst-type player. Much like Ebner was for the 7-on-7 USA Rugby team how ever many years back.

Disagree, why are teams letting the most important piece in today's game, letting good ones to leave. Boy, if it was this simple everybody would devote much more time to that position.
AJ Brown, Tyreek Hill, Davonte Adams. I get it looks great exciting, not the reason a single NFL game is won.
The most constant Receiver that has made a difference is Travis Kelce. A Super large WR, that knows how to runs routes, and catch passes.
He has 504 catches in 4 seasons, KC went to 3 SB's and won 2.
With Hill a Super Weapon has 446 catches, went 1-1 in SB's and couldn't carry his team to the Play-offs.
Why do teams who have the HOF QB get rid of a Davante Adams? Makes no sense, if what you are saying.
If we go all in for a WR, then the excuses for Mac Jones are off the table.
OC-checked
O-Line Coach -Checked
Super Weapon -Checked
15 overall pick in the Draft should get you to the SB, like Jalen Hurts.
Because WR matters, not team complimentary football.

Last edited:
Unless Agholor was a Josh McDaniels suggestion as I think he was. When you look at the WRs he had a hand in drafting, the number that worked out is 2. Demeryius Thomas and Eric Decker. I'm not including anyone in the 6th/7th rounds because they're expected to be Special teamers 1st and anything they give on offense is a bonus. Though I'd have noted if there were any like that.

2006: Chad Jackson - 2nd Round *
2007: None
2008: None
Broncos 2009: Kenny McKinley - 5th round.
Broncos 2010: Thomas and Decker
2013: Aaron Dobson - 2nd round, Josh Boyce - 4th round
2014: None
2015: None
2016: Malcolm Mitchell
2017: None
2018: Braxton Berrios
2019: N'Keal Harry
2020: None

*2006 - It's been well noted that Belichick sided with McDaniels against Daboll and the scouts in regards to selecting Jackson and with McDaniels in regards to Maroney.

It gets worse for McDaniels if you look at RBs and TEs that He'd have had a hand in drafting.
Great information, appreciate you posting that for all to see!

There were reports that BB was ignoring scouts, and going with the information he was getting from the college's program head coaches... some he knew personally some he didn't.. when it came to drafting WRs over the years.. so after the Harry bust, the team mentioned the drafting would be more of a collaborative effort..

Since that point other than the two TE bust In 2020 asiasi and keene drafts have been pretty solid.

Disagree, why are teams letting the most important piece in todays game, letting good one's to leave.
AJ Brown, Tyreek Hill, Davonte Adams. I get it looks great exciting, not the reason a single NFL game is won.
The most constant Receiver that has made a difference is Travis Kelce. A Super large WR, that knows how to runs routes, and catch passes.
He has 504 catches in 4 seasons, KC went to 3 SB's and won 2.
With Hill a Super Weapon has 446 catches, went 1-1 in SB's and couldn't carry his team to the Play-offs.
Why do teams who have the HOF QB get rid of a Davante Adams? Makes no sense, if what you are saying.
If we go all in for a WR, then the excuses for Mac Jones are off the table.
OC-checked
O-Line Coach -Checked
Super Weapon -Checked
15 overall pick in the Draft should get you to the SB, like Jalen Hurts.

First, did you see Jalen Hurts go from being an average QB to a legitmate MVP candidate with the acquisition of Brown? Tua turned into a below average QB to being in the discussion for MVP early in the season with the addition of Hill. Personally, I am not convinced either Hurts or Tua are better QBs than Jones. They just are surrounded by a lot of talented receivers and solid o-lines with offenses designed to maximize their strengths.

Second, team like KC can trade away receivers because they have Mahomes. Mahomes is an all time great QB. You see guys like him once or twice a generation. Rodgers struggled this year without Adams. And we do not know what guys like Allen, Burrow, or Herbert can do without at least one great WR yet.

Third, a 15 overall pick doesn’t guarantee you a Super Bowl. Philip Rivers was a top 15 pick and was a great player and never saw the Super Bowl. I think Jones might be able to get to the Super Bowl if he was in the situation that Hurts was in this year. But who knows?

Fourth, there are still a lot of question marks on the offense especially at tackle. They may need to get two new starting tackles if O’Brien and Klemm cannot light a candle under Trent Brown’s arse and good LTs don’t grow on trees.

Last edited:
Why do you think the Patriots would have Campbell on their radar at all? Guy has had 1 healthy season in 4. Not to mention that, Here's a guy who's "Break out" year was 600 yards for 9.8 YPR and 3 TDs? OH.. With 5 drops on 91 targets. And you want that as an outside receiver?

You want to Sign Campbell AND draft Flowers AND draft Charlie Jones. That's the equivalent of burying Thornton and not giving him a chance. You'd also be basically eliminating Marcus Jones from taking offensive snaps because you'd have too many other assets that you've committed to.

Then you game plan around just 2 players? Do you understand how game planning works? Game plans are done on a game by game basis depending on what the opposing defense has for assets.

The Pats roster under BOB was allowed to shine because of their usage of the 2 TE offense and BOBs understanding of complimentary plays. To do this, they need to address the O-line as everyone has acknowledged. But they'll likely carry 3TEs or put a FB out there.
With Parker, Bourne and Thornton, the Pats are going to be looking for complimentary guys to put behind them. NOT guys to take their places. That's why I don't see Campbell being added. It's more likely they're going to add a receiver who can play both the outside AND the slot in the draft. Someone to be learning behind Bourne. That way Thornton can learn behind both of them.

As I stated a few times, the best use of Thornton's talents is to hit him in stride. That means hitting him in stride on Slants, GOs, Posts, and Corners. Bourne is the guy who just makes things happen. When Patricia FINALLY got him on the field, things happened. GOOD things. They need to use that. Bourne is a catalyst-type player. Much like Ebner was for the 7-on-7 USA Rugby team how ever many years back.
I agree ...

Great post . Agree , in the post season quest sometimes you get intrigued in multiple directions .

Again I am not saying draft all those . Any one among them would be great to replace agholor and maybe one more to replace Meyers whom we look destined to lose in FA due to increasing market demand . Parris Campbell injuries are a issue but at least we try to take a flyer on him and bank a lot more on 2 TE sets to complement if things go south .

TBH, I would like us to draft Wilson in middle rounds and develop Marcus Jones into slot. Considering our needs WR would be too much of a luxury in first two rounds. OT and CB should be it . Skoronski is probably the safer bet at 14 . The tight end class is also pretty deep so a 4th rounder TE is also a must to develop behind Jonnu and Henry. Who knows we might find our Kittle there..

I named off a handful of WRs that didn't pan out here... he claimed they weren't good..
There's a whole bunch of dudes that came in here during Tom's tenure that didn't pan out. The whole "Tom Brady Made Receivers Great" is a bit of a myth if used to paint with a broad brush or a roller. They had to had the drive, the brains and the ability to succeed here. If they did, then 100% Brady made them better.

. Personally, I am not convinced either Hurts or Tua are better QBs than Jones. They just are surrounded by a lot of talented receivers and solid o-lines with offenses designed to maximize their strengths.
Ehhh Hurts proved a lot to me with his SB performance.
Personally, I'd take Hurts over Jones

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back