PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Proposal to compel NFL teams to appear on Hard Knocks

I've never watched HK but I have no doubt I would subscribe to HBO to watch it up if the BB-Brady Pats were on.

Odd thing with the new rules: It's being presented almost as a punishment for teams that suck.

Teams like Cincinnati and NY Jets seemed to have liked it.. I watched it this year to catch up with my old binkie, BJGE.. but he barely made an appearance. They did focus on James Harrison quite a bit though..

Teams like Cincinnati and NY Jets seemed to have liked it.. I watched it this year to catch up with my old binkie, BJGE.. but he barely made an appearance. They did focus on James Harrison quite a bit though..

you know what they say about empty vessels though.

Ridiculous. Great show, but come on. Are they going to start forcing BB to tweet twice a game? I see it as similarly invasive BS.

:noidea:

They already force teams and players to talk to the media.

OH man I just got an image of some of the clips from Harn Knocks New England:

BB snifles and snorts for half hour breaking for the occasional Wally Pip reference.

You only see Scarnechia's back side as he is always turning the corner just out of sight of the cameras.

There is a misterious blurred out/pixalated figure in %25 of the shots that conspicuously looks like Ernie Adams.

Every rookie sits and stairs at the camera without saying a word as they were told rookies are seen not heard.

And some obligatory shots of Brady with his kids and Gisselle after a practice.

They should just do a full show of Chandler Jones teaching people how to sack dance.

Seems like the ultimate payback for Spygate: Roger puts a robocam in Bill's office for six weeks.

Re: NFL gets behind "Hard Knocks"

Belichick will be paying teams to volunteer. You know that the Patriots will be high on the NFL's list of teams to select to be part of this. You would have to assume that New England and Denver would be top priorities with the time left of either Brady or Manning.

You can bet Goodell has painted a bullseye on BB's back with this.

OH man I just got an image of some of the clips from Harn Knocks New England:

BB snifles and snorts for half hour breaking for the occasional Wally Pip reference.

You only see Scarnechia's back side as he is always turning the corner just out of sight of the cameras.

There is a misterious blurred out/pixalated figure in %25 of the shots that conspicuously looks like Ernie Adams.

Every rookie sits and stairs at the camera without saying a word as they were told rookies are seen not heard.

And some obligatory shots of Brady with his kids and Gisselle after a practice.
:rofl: somebody needs to make this as a parody.

eeerrr youll never be in Hard Knocks, your always in the playoffs, what was Goodell thinking.

eeerrr youll never be in Hard Knocks, your always in the playoffs, what was Goodell thinking.

They should make it the best record team to go one and done. I can see it now "and Peyton back to throw and it's......picked off by Brandon Flowers and the broncos are going to hard knocks!"
PeytonManning.gif

They should make it the best record team to go one and done. I can see it now "and Peyton back to throw and it's......picked off by Brandon Flowers and the broncos are going to hard knocks!"
PeytonManning.gif

LOL, Payton and Falcons every year :singing:

Wanted to post this somewhere. "Tailgate fan" does a family friendly version of a video show that looks like what Fitzy does, except it isn't Fitzy, except it actually is.

Talk about watering down the franchise.

Tailgate Fan: Syracuse University « CBS Houston

Football is in the entertainment business. People enjoy watching Hard Knocks -- it's a profitable tv show and brings viewers more emotionally attached to players and teams (either in a positive or negative attachment). Emotional attachment is how pro sports makes money.

Bill would like to focus just on football and would totally ignore the public if he could -- but a good chunk of his salary is due to the revenue generated from all the hoopla around the sport.

I'm actually entertained by watching the games. I guess that's passe now.

The old Patriots would have been great for this, though. "Hard Knocks and Hallucinogens" behind the scenes with Clive Rush.

I would love to see Bill in a Darth Vader costume for the entire duration of Hard Knocks if we were forced to be on it.

I was flipping through channels and saw *groan* ESPN First take. They were talking about the idea of trading Tony Gonzalez and I figured I'd talk listen in. Well, I missed most of it as I wasn't paying enough attention, when they got to this topic.

Steven (A) Smith was pushing Herm Edwards on his thinking this was ok. Smith telling Herm that he was a hypocrite was good, but then went on to say "What's next. Putting microphones in players underwear to hear what comes out next. When does it stop!" It cracked me up.

I would love to see Bill in a Darth Vader costume for the entire duration of Hard Knocks if we were forced to be on it.

Personally I am a huge fan of the BB Emperor Palpatine hoodie connection but I am a Star Wars geek so anything that combines that with the Patriots is fine by me.

billhcfinal_emperor_belichick_d_crop_340x234.jpg

Darth%20Belichick.jpg

Cardinals' Bruce Arians: I'd fight against 'Hard Knocks' - NFL.com

Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians verbalized Tuesday what most coaches probably think about the prospect of being forced to open up their facilities to camera crews.

"I think it's a total distraction, and I think it's an embarrassment to players," Arians told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "I think when players are released, some of the things that are said between coaches and players are too personal, and nobody else's business."

When asked if he'd fight "tooth and nail" against being forced to participate, Arians responded: "All the way. All the way."

It's not a surprise to hear a coach reject the idea of allowing intimate details of his training camp to be broadcast on national TV.

The reasons coaches don't like the show are exactly what make it so intriguing. The opportunities to learn about young players, witness locker room interactions and eavesdrop on meeting room exchanges make "Hard Knocks" must-see television. The cheerleader interstitials and Oklahoma drills don't hurt, either.

The first time a team is compelled to participate, one of the most intriguing storylines will be how the coach handles the intrusion. If Arians' response is any indication, we can expect a lot of kicking and screaming.​

So which teams would HBO and the NFL have to choose from if nobody volunteers next year? The following would be exempt:

Have previously been on within last ten years:
- Chiefs, Cowboys, Bengals, Jets, Dolphins

2012 playoff teams:
- Patriots, Bengals, Ravens, Texans, Colts, Broncos
- Redskins, Packers, Vikings, Falcons, 49ers, Seahawks

That leaves some projection. First, teams that appear likely to make the playoffs that did not do so in 2012:
- Chiefs, Saints, ... either the Lions or Bears; maybe the Titans; perhaps the Eagles

That leaves the following, with the year that the current coach started with that team in parenthesis:
Bills (2013)
Browns (2013)
Steelers (2007)
Jaguars (2013)
Titans (2011)
Raiders (2012)
Chargers (2013)

Giants (2004)
Eagles (2013)
Bears (2013)
Lions (2009)
Panthers (2011)
Bucs (2012)
Rams (2012)
Cardinals (2013)

My guess is that if there were no volunteers and HBO/NFL Films were given their choice, they would choose either the Steelers or the Giants (assuming Tomlin and Coughlin return). Their being the longest tenured coaches on that list makes them more of a possibility of being replaced though. I doubt they would choose Arizona after Arians was so publicly against the idea; the Eagles are another possibility.

Cardinals' Bruce Arians: I'd fight against 'Hard Knocks' - NFL.com

Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians verbalized Tuesday what most coaches probably think about the prospect of being forced to open up their facilities to camera crews.

"I think it's a total distraction, and I think it's an embarrassment to players," Arians told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "I think when players are released, some of the things that are said between coaches and players are too personal, and nobody else's business."

When asked if he'd fight "tooth and nail" against being forced to participate, Arians responded: "All the way. All the way."

It's not a surprise to hear a coach reject the idea of allowing intimate details of his training camp to be broadcast on national TV.

The reasons coaches don't like the show are exactly what make it so intriguing. The opportunities to learn about young players, witness locker room interactions and eavesdrop on meeting room exchanges make "Hard Knocks" must-see television. The cheerleader interstitials and Oklahoma drills don't hurt, either.

The first time a team is compelled to participate, one of the most intriguing storylines will be how the coach handles the intrusion. If Arians' response is any indication, we can expect a lot of kicking and screaming.​

So which teams would HBO and the NFL have to choose from if nobody volunteers next year? The following would be exempt:

Have previously been on within last ten years:
- Chiefs, Cowboys, Bengals, Jets, Dolphins

2012 playoff teams:
- Patriots, Bengals, Ravens, Texans, Colts, Broncos
- Redskins, Packers, Vikings, Falcons, 49ers, Seahawks

That leaves some projection. First, teams that appear likely to make the playoffs that did not do so in 2012:
- Chiefs, Saints, ... either the Lions or Bears; maybe the Titans; perhaps the Eagles

That leaves the following, with the year that the current coach started with that team in parenthesis:
Bills (2013)
Browns (2013)
Steelers (2007)
Jaguars (2013)
Titans (2011)
Raiders (2012)
Chargers (2013)

Giants (2004)
Eagles (2013)
Bears (2013)
Lions (2009)
Panthers (2011)
Bucs (2012)
Rams (2012)
Cardinals (2013)

My guess is that if there were no volunteers and HBO/NFL Films were given their choice, they would choose either the Steelers or the Giants (assuming Tomlin and Coughlin return). Their being the longest tenured coaches on that list makes them more of a possibility of being replaced though. I doubt they would choose Arizona after Arians was so publicly against the idea; the Eagles are another possibility.

Very nice breakdown and thanks for spending the time to do so.

I think the Giants and Steelers are two very likely candidates and I would throw out that based on the tenure of the previous 2 Steelers coaches I would think Tomlin is very safe. Coughlin probably should be but as he was on the hot seat prior to each of his SBs I could see him back on the hot seat though I think he deserves a fairly long pass for what he accomplished.

I would think the Bears and the Raiders would be high on the list two as they have typically either been a great sports town in the case of Chi or very popular throughout the country in the case of Oak.

An X factor would be the Jaguars while not a likely top choice the NFL could decide that one last ditch effort to up the Jags popularity is worth a shot.

The first time a team is made to do it will be must see TV. Can you imagine the Turk turning to the camera and calmly saying, "I know you vultures have the league blessing, but I'm going to curse and make this tape unusable."

Then a voice off camera says, "You can swear on HBO."

"Oh," says the Turk as he rolls up his sleeves, "then do not hold back while I beat the crap out of you."

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back