PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remember This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watson's IQ

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
If there's something positive to take away from this game it's this:

Next time when you're laying down blanket proclamations about how a team has "NO CHANCE IN HELL" to beat the Patriots, remember this game. For many (most?) of you, this will be in two weeks, when once again the 49ers will have "NO CHANCE IN HELL" of defeating the Patriots. That's now twice in the last four games that we as a community have given the opposition no chance to win, only to be humiliated totally.

Will the result be that we remember that football consists of more teams than just the Patriots, and that those other teams have talent as well? Or will we quickly forget how crappy this feels to be so utterly confident and then so utterly wrong? I guess what I'm asking is, do we plan to check our hubris at the door going forward, or will we let something blindside us so completely again?

Imagine how the Colts fans must be feeling now having lost two games in their new home to opponents they were favored to beat.

If there's something positive to take away from this game it's this:

Next time when you're laying down blanket proclamations about how a team has "NO CHANCE IN HELL" to beat the Patriots, remember this game. For many (most?) of you, this will be in two weeks, when once again the 49ers will have "NO CHANCE IN HELL" of defeating the Patriots. That's now twice in the last four games that we as a community have given the opposition no chance to win, only to be humiliated totally.

Will the result be that we remember that football consists of more teams than just the Patriots, and that those other teams have talent as well? Or will we quickly forget how crappy this feels to be so utterly confident and then so utterly wrong? I guess what I'm asking is, do we plan to check our hubris at the door going forward, or will we let something blindside us so completely again?

Part of the problem is that we humans seem to have short attention spans. Heck, even some of the NFL.com writers seem to think that the Patriots had always been throwing for 50 touchdowns a year.

There is a certain something to be said for bravado, though, and the fact that we've seen the Pats pull out so many games that they really had no business winning. Well, this week, they had no business winning, and they sure as heck didn't. :(

There is a certain something to be said for bravado, though, and the fact that we've seen the Pats pull out so many games that they really had no business winning. Well, this week, they had no business winning, and they sure as heck didn't. :(

I'm certainly not saying that the Pats' shouldn't have bravado, or confidence, though I don't think they look past any opponent (though it certainly didn't look that way today, did it?)

I hear what you're saying about short attention spans, but I could just really do without speaking in absolutes about teams having no chance against the Patriots. I think that concept has been put out to pasture - If the 2007 Patriots were ultimately beatable, than this version certainly is.

I'm certainly not saying that the Pats' shouldn't have bravado, or confidence, though I don't think they look past any opponent (though it certainly didn't look that way today, did it?)

I hear what you're saying about short attention spans, but I could just really do without speaking in absolutes about teams having no chance against the Patriots. I think that concept has been put out to pasture - If the 2007 Patriots were ultimately beatable, than this version certainly is.

just a lot wins have left a lot us expecting our team to win every game without giving much credit to the ability of the opposition .i have also read on many boards that pats fans are the most gloating and obnoxious. i think thats an unfair statement made because of a few such folks but it is what it is.

Last edited:
just a lot wins have left a lot us expecting our team to win every game without giving much credit to the ability of the opposition .i have also read on many boards that pats fans are the most gloating and obnoxious. i think thats an unfair statement made because of a few such folks but it is what it is.

I'd like to think that wasn't true, and I don't spend a lot of time on other teams' boards so I can't speak to the quality of Patriots fans they see (in my mind, anyone who spends their time trolling, their quality pretty much speaks for itself).

I don't think it's a problem for us to expect the Patriots to win every game, after all that's the culture they've created. What I take issue with is people who before the Super Bowl, and again this week said "there is NO way the Giants/Dolphins win". I have no doubt in my mind that people will be tossing around such absolutes again for the SF game, and I think that's unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes