PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rehashing the Super Bowl strip sack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they do. Depending on the play he might look vert on a yankee concept, read on side on high/low-flood or even "stare down" a WR on a slant or short crosser.
On this play the coverage correctly identified that gronk should be open. The blocking didn’t hold up.

Everyone makes a good point in this thread. Losing the game in the fashion that we did is a tough pill to swallow, so of course there are plays we'd like to take back.

If it makes you feel better though, while we can easily imagine this play going well (dump off to White) and eventually winning the Super Bowl, can't you also imagine the "Edelman catch" from SB 51 instead being intercepted?

Sure, of course you want both things to go your way, but that's not life. If I had to pick between the two, I'd take the 25 pt comeback.

This is how I try to rationalize not being outraged by the loss.

Every fan base/coach/player in the NFL has lost it’s collective marbles losing games to us like this over the years. The “we’re a better team 9 out of 10.” Or the “they got lucky.” And my favorite (insert what rules were bended or broken to allow the Patriots to win here) card. Your outlook is the healthy one. :)

No point since he doesn’t respond. No balls. You tend to avoid people that crush you over and over again which is why I’m supposedly on his safe space ignore list.

There's some good company on that list ;)
Meanwhile deep in a bunker under the Johnson family basement...
lalala+can't+hear+you.jpg

I am fine with losing another one that we could have / should have won, since we have won more than a few that we could have / should have lost. Maybe that's why I can't get caught up in the Malcolm Butler angst. Sometimes you just have to move on....

Brady held onto the ball too long and missed a wide-open James White on that play. However, there is no guarantee Brady would have led his team to a touchdown even if the fumble didn’t happen. The eagles licked us on the line of scrimmage that game.

Brady held onto the ball too long and missed a wide-open James White on that play. However, there is no guarantee Brady would have led his team to a touchdown even if the fumble didn’t happen. The eagles licked us on the line of scrimmage that game.
That was the only time they touched Brady.
And you don’t “miss” a secondary receiver who is open before your primary receivers route is complete

Eagles came out in a wide 9 front and had four of their quickest pass rushers on the field for that down. There either needed to be an audible or the progressions should have changed since, given the front they were throwing at the Pats coupled with what they were doing in coverage (Cover-3 Buzz), a deep breaking out route shouldn't have been the first progression.
Our season was on the line.

We had plenty of time.

We had our timeouts.

They couldn't stop us.

The question was, after we scored, would there be time at the end for the Eagles to take it away from us?

I was saying, over and over as we walked up to the line of scrimmage on first down,

Run the ball.

Run the ball.

Just hand it off.

Run it.

And, as usual, Josh is NOT Charlie, we turned it over and needlessly lost the game.

Ok, I’m now on to 2018-19.

Our season was on the line.

We had plenty of time.

We had our timeouts.

They couldn't stop us.

The question was, after we scored, would there be time at the end for the Eagles to take it away from us?

I was saying, over and over as we walked up to the line of scrimmage on first down,

Run the ball.

Run the ball.

Just hand it off.

Run it.

And, as usual, Josh is NOT Charlie, we turned it over and needlessly lost the game.

It almost sounds like you think it’s a criticism to say josh is not Charlie.

After watching the play again, Mason was the one at fault. This was the second super bowl where someone bull rushed him right into Brady.

The defense forced Brady to have to throw for 500 yards in a loss and for us to win he would have had to be close to 600. That we lost sucks but Brady did what no quarterback has ever done before in a Superbowl. Talk about about nit pick. Cripes, Rob Parker and Maz would be proud of some of you guys.

I am fine with losing another one that we could have / should have won, since we have won more than a few that we could have / should have lost. Maybe that's why I can't get caught up in the Malcolm Butler angst. Sometimes you just have to move on....

It's easy to forgot the near-impossible, microscopic, unlikely, miraculous margins it took to win 49 and 51. Both the Seahawks and Falcons had the Pats dead to rights.

Lost to a backup QB. Nuff said. Foles can say i beat the greatest QB to ever live to his grandkids.

his career numbers are pretty similar to Wentz’s. in many respects I think foles is better than Wentz, but that is a different discussion. the eagles won the super bowl last year because they were dominant at the LOS. a number of QBs could have performed well on that team.

************, it's threads like this that make me think that a fair amount of the posters on here enjoy it when the team loses...

I'd love to see in 5 years if any of these "chicken littles" (uh-oh, triggered warning incoming!!!) are still here.

Lost to a backup QB. Nuff said. Foles can say i beat the greatest QB to ever live to his grandkids.
You can't win them all....but he'd have to admit it was against the greatest quarterback to ever live......just like you just did.

************, it's threads like this that make me think that a fair amount of the posters on here enjoy it when the team loses...

I'd love to see in 5 years if any of these "chicken littles" (uh-oh, triggered warning incoming!!!) are still here.
Trolls on every NFL forum. If they're not trolls then they are choosing to be miserable in a winning era that will probably never be duplicated. I wonder how they'll cope when it all disintegrates? I'm enjoying the ride. It's a shame they missed it.

I have not re-watched that heartbreaking play until this morning, when I decided to torture myself. Obviously, Mason allowed the pocket to collapse and that was a key factor but Brady has to share some of the blame.

View attachment 20715

View attachment 20717

2nd and 2. Take the EASY first down to a WIDE OPEN White in the flat and move on. This was clearly a broken coverage by Philly. Instead, Brady’s first look is down the middle of the field. By the time he comes back to White, it’s too late. I know that to some here it is sacrilege to criticize Brady but he seemed to get greedy on this play and it cost them dearly.

Yea i mean everything from the birds eye view in hindsight is going to look a bit whacked, but White was Brady's checkdown so he was going to his primary and secondary reads first, then he goes to White as his checkdown and thats when Graham swipes the ball outt

There was no reason for Brady to audible the hot route WR because they weren't blitzing, it was a 4 man rush so there was no tactical reason to immediately go to his checkdown on the play

Just a great play by Graham, unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back