PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapp: Bennett exit . real possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the lolphins just took on Julius Thomas $9.2m AAV salary and he only had 1 good year which was the '13 season when Manning was hopped up on HGH. "14 he had 12 TD but was really an non-factor in the passing game not even eclipsing 500 yards or 45 rec.
Yeah, I suppose all it takes is one desperate team like the Dolphins. What a piss poor organization they are.

Bennett played 3/4 of the season with an ankle injury...reportedly a broken bone. He was a stalwart in our run game. I would argue the running attack of the 2016 patriots is not far behind 2004. The tight end position had a lot to do with that.
When's the last time you saw Gronk even dress for the game with a fracture so that you could even compare them?
Gronk broke his arm and pretty missed an entire season.
I am thankful for Marty's toughness and while I don't like his outspoken nature, he deserves tremendous credit.

Yeah thats not really fair. Firstly what ever injury Bennett had it was possible to play with it. If it wasn't or if it threatened the rest of his career he wouldn't have played.. he would have been put on IR. Is Bennett going through any off season surgeries?

Broken arms, torn up knees, and serious back injuries that require surgery..These issues cannot be played through. When Gronk got his lung punctured and his back messed up he went back in the game and made some great catches. Against Seattle.

My point is Gronk will play through injuries, he tried in Super Bowl 46.. but Broken Bones and torn ligaments are not possible to play through. They rushed Gronk back and he rebroke his bone and now has to wear a brace.. for I guess the rest of his career.

As far as Bennetts blocking, I don't think it was anything special. I didn't pay a lot of attenti0n to it. The reason New Englands running game racked up more yards and TD's this season is because they ran it more this last season than previous seasons. They did not average a very high YPC.

Would be interested in what this is getting at :

When I first heard this on TV, they called it "breaking news". :rolleyes: Typical mediot self back slapping by taking what we've know since December and pawning it off to use as "breaking news". OF COURSE, Bennett will test FA, he'd be nuts not to. There is absolutely zero downside. The Pats will make their offer, and he can always come back to it, if he doesn't wait long.

It really pisses me off when these mediot idiots (is that a double negative>?. ;) ) state the obvious and make it seem like they are pearls of wisdom and insight.

It's like they are stealing good money that I should be getting. ;)

The 7 mil offered by the Pats is definitely fair. I don't think they are low balling him.

But regardless of what happens, I got nothing but love for Marty B. Guy was tough as nails playing through injury all season and he seemed to be a great team mate plus a genuinely good dude. I will be sad if he goes but wish him the best.

Would be interested in what this is getting at :

yeah thats a strange and vague quote. QB's meaning the passing game aspect? I can understand Bennett has a 275 lb massive frame, but he seemed slow and never really had many deep routes. that tells me he just wasn't quick enough to get down field.

But how much was that the Injury, I know his hands are not as good as Gronks for certain.

Last edited:
I've loved having Marty B, but I always worried about him being like Moss. Once he's happy and content and gets used to the winning, then he'll get back to getting his.

I viewed him as a short-term solution, he played great for us, and it helped him re-shape his image and he's going to get paid. It's a win win. But I never expected BB would bring him back for longer than a year or two more, and I suspect he'll get a much more generous offer in free agency.

Thanks for toughing it out this year Marty, you were a hell of a pro, and loved having you in the building. Wish you all the best moving forward.

Unless you sign with the Jets. Then you're dead to me.

Never felt Bennett. Always played much much smaller than his size. His dropped pass in the end zone the play before White's TS was emblematic of his play. A tease.

I never viewed him as more than a rental for the season... been saying it all season. And the way he ended his post game interview after SB51 strengthened that belief for me. He's gone. But honestly, I don't care. He was just okay. Playing injured is what I appreciated most.

Gronk should be 100%
I'll pencil him in for seven, maybe eight games next season... and I think I'm only half joking. He was very durable his first three or so seasons, but I just don't see how he goes back to that now. The mileage is only increasing, so it would seem the time missed will too. Love me some Gronk but I have to call it like I've seen it lately.

When the pats offered him ~/over $7M and he turned it down, I assumed they had a 'well, you go test the waters, then give us a chance to match' discussion.

Some of the posts tending toward good riddance here seem a bit over the top and too early. ( Patience grasshopper.)

I also wouldn't read too too much into the SB overpaying comment. It could be a bad signal, but it is also a true statement. Some teams do overpay to catch some of the magic, and it only takes one. Marty has been brutally honest at times in interviews, but at the end of the day, NE has performance, success, endorsement opportunities, and marketing opportunities (4his brand) many teams don't have (but has tax and share the pass distribution disadvantages). If he actually analyzes benefits NE could still get av$500k hometown discount

I would like to see him back, but paying more than 8.5 seems too much, and BB's cutoff is probably lower than mine (LOL)

Drove through NJ again this weekend...smelled like BO...and burning tires. Not sure there's a "broker's route" for the Jest or Gnats to use to cover that up.
I believe the BO and burning tires you smelled actually WAS the Jets.

3 years, 8-7-7, 22 Mi, 15 guaranteed, good for both sides.

I liked having Bennett too, but the guy seems like a bit of a weirdo; part of that is that he's unpredictable, so really no way to know what he'll do. And not sure I'd let my kids read his books, who knows what kinda crazy **** they'd pick up from that.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back