PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapp: Bennett exit . real possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bennett had the 6th-highest catch rate among any WR or TE in the league with more than 20 receptions this season. (Amendola was number one on this statistic). Bennett was second among TE's, after Jack Doyle. He was a more than willing blocker on a gimpy ankle.

TE's here are asked to do more different things than anywhere else - Belichick himself has said it is the most difficult position (after QB) to pick up. There's a reason we've run through so many players in the last year looking for a backup (and yes, they should have kept Derby). We know Bennett can do it - pretty much anyone else we can afford is a gamble.

I'm not saying pay him anything he asks of course, but overpaying a million or so on a short-term deal while Brady is still near his peak makes a lot of sense. I'd bet anything that defensive coordinators everywhere are praying we let him walk - having him and Gronk on the field together is a nightmare for them. They can't play nickel against that combo, and if we add a first-down RB that can catch, then their nightmare just got worse.

Last edited:
Not surprised at all. I commend him for playing through his injuries and not complaining about his playing time and when asked to block more than have less touches and do other things asked. With that said, real Pay Off is a Ring as he might thing its monetary now.

Be careful what you wish for, we saw others leave for 'Green'er Pastures and wind up going out to Pasture. Le$$ is more to stay at times and contribute to more Championships but if he gets his and there will be a owner* out there that will pay him, Thanx For 2017.

TE's here are asked to do more different things than anywhere else - Belichick himself has said it is the most difficult position (after QB) to pick up. There's a reason we've run through so many players in the last year looking for a backup (and yes, they should have kept Derby). We know Bennett can do it - pretty much anyone else we can afford is a gamble.

I'm going to quibble with you on that. The entire paragraph which precedes that phrase precisely explains the reason why Derby was shipped out. Belichick does not accept having a TE who can't block at all unless you can play like Aaron Hernandez. Derby is not Hernandez. He was transitioning to the TE role and didn't play tough enough - one of the things Belichick expects from his TEs. He only caught 16 balls in 6 games with the Broncos, with a huge last minute fumble costing them the game. Derby is a slightly better version of Zach Sudfeld, and I see no reason to expect him to be better than that in the future, and the Pats regretting this move long-term.

Derby is a slightly better version of Zach Sudfeld, and I see no reason to expect him to be better than that in the future, and the Pats regretting this move long-term.

You could well be right. I was mostly looking at the sorry parade of attempted replacements they went through after he left though.

Anyone have thoughts on Doyle? He's a free agent, and had the best reception rate for a TE last year (min 20 receptions), which means at least he can catch.

I wish Bennett well, he did a good job here, helped the Pats get another championship. But I also see issues that make me want him gone, greed, age, injuries (I appreciate him playing through them), and he's been on a bunch of teams (seems to wear out his welcome). Let him go get his big bucks.

I wish Bennett well, he did a good job here, helped the Pats get another championship. But I also see issues that make me want him gone, greed, age, injuries (I appreciate him playing through them), and he's been on a bunch of teams (seems to wear out his welcome). Let him go get his big bucks.

Greed? Bennett with his frame will be lucky if he still playing at the age of 32. So he has to cash in now. This is his last big chance to make the big bucks in FA. I can't call that greed.
Bennett seems like a good guy to me, but obviously we have no clue what goes through these guys heads. AKA Aaron Hernandez.

I'm going to quibble with you on that. The entire paragraph which precedes that phrase precisely explains the reason why Derby was shipped out. Belichick does not accept having a TE who can't block at all unless you can play like Aaron Hernandez. Derby is not Hernandez. He was transitioning to the TE role and didn't play tough enough - one of the things Belichick expects from his TEs. He only caught 16 balls in 6 games with the Broncos, with a huge last minute fumble costing them the game. Derby is a slightly better version of Zach Sudfeld, and I see no reason to expect him to be better than that in the future, and the Pats regretting this move long-term.

To word your point differently, who wants to trade a 5th round pick to Denver for Derby?

He's being a drama queen on twitter tonight. At least we'll get the comp pick.
It's his right to chase the best contract he can

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
He's being a drama queen on twitter tonight. At least we'll get the comp pick.
It's his right to chase the best contract he can
May or may not get a comp depending who we sign/lose.

But yeah :

Sure it's his right but those making millions shouldn't compare their situations to those making thousands.

He was great for one year. Reading his Twitter feed since the SB makes me less inclined to see a future with him in NE. Jeebus, just in the last hour, he just keeps going and going and going - - damn get a life, Marty. TFB is enjoying himself and his family and "not giving away his power". Marty's Twitter is going the way of Shalise Manza Young's right now (seriously, self-induced ulcer). There's more to life than fighting anonymous schmoes on the ether - - that's for us non-celebs!

Loved the guy in 2016 - - sometimes it's just better to keep things short and sweet. Best of luck to him wherever he goes.

Thanks for everything Marty - - you were a breath of fresh air and brought some well needed swaggger to the team. Keep thinking outside the box and I wish you the very best with your new team.

Last edited:
Call me crazy but I don't think Bennett lived up to the hype this season. He was good, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't great. I don't think replacing his production will be as impossible as some make it out to be.

But yes, a true shame we really never got to see the Gronk/Bennett tandem with each player fully healthy.

Edelman dipped his toes in FA waters and found his best opportunity was in New England. He is currently under contract. If he was a free agent this off season, I could see him seeing what's out there. He would owe it to himself to do so.

I definitely see your point of view, but I think Edelman realizes he has built a brand and following here that would be tough to rebuild elsewhere. I'm sure a few mil extra could ease his concern though.

If I recall correctly I think the Bears and Giants expressed interest in him when he was a free agent.

He was great for one year. Reading his Twitter feed since the SB makes me less inclined to hope for the future with him. Jeebus, just in the last hour, he just keeps going and going and going - - damn get a life, Marty. TFB is enjoying himself and his family and "not giving away his power". Marty's Twitter is going the way of Shalise Manza Young's right now (seriously, self-induced ulcer).

Loved the guy in 2016 - - sometimes it's just better to keep things short and sweet. Best of luck to him wherever he goes.

Thanks for everything Marty - - you were a breath of fresh air and brought some well needed swaggger to the team. Keep thinking outside the box and I wish you the very best with your new team.
I don't disagree with anything you said, but I'm still wondering if he's going to get the big contract he's looking for at his age. First of all we don't know if BB views him as a $7MM/yr guy now, but lets say he does. Do you really think if Jacksonville (or some other non-contender) offers him $8MM/yr he's going to run to them just because they offer him a bit more money.

Lets go back to the post superbowl interview where he made his "superbowl winner get overpaid" remark. He also said this in the same interview. "On THIS team numbers don't matter. No one cares what your numbers are if you are doing your job. They get it. I get one target and we win, and guys come up to me and say 'great job chipping that DE. Great job blocking'. That's how it is in NE". (paraphrase).

These comments show that Marty GETS what makes the Pats special, better than most. He understands. So if the money is close, (within a million.yr), I wouldn't be surprised to seem him "take less".

Greed? Bennett with his frame will be lucky if he still playing at the age of 32. So he has to cash in now. This is his last big chance to make the big bucks in FA. I can't call that greed.
Bennett seems like a good guy to me, but obviously we have no clue what goes through these guys heads. AKA Aaron Hernandez.
Absolutely greed. He's a greedy person. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to call it what it is. He was happy he became a champion because they overpay champions, not because he's now a champion. Had nothing to do with the happiness of winning. It was one of the first things he said. Winning was a means to an end, not a goal he can cherish.

You look at guys like Amendola and in the past Bruschi, who were willing to take less because they want to win. Bennett has made enough to last several life times. Now it's all about greed, but don't call it anything else. Different kind of person than Amendola and Bruschi (and I'm sure there were many more).

Tight end is not the only skill position where money can be spent, lose a weapon - go get one and you might even get a better one than Bennett for less that 7MM.

Call me crazy but I don't think Bennett lived up to the hype this season. He was good, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't great. I don't think replacing his production will be as impossible as some make it out to be.

But yes, a true shame we really never got to see the Gronk/Bennett tandem with each player fully healthy.

Bennett got what he wanted - a super bowl so he cash out.

Last edited:
Bennett got what he wanted - a super bowl winning season so he cash out.

Oh definitely, I think it was a win for both sides and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm just saying let's not break the bank for him. We don't break the bank for many, and I don't see him being an exception to the rule.

Absolutely greed. He's a greedy person. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to call it what it is. He was happy he became a champion because they overpay champions, not because he's now a champion. Had nothing to do with the happiness of winning. It was one of the first things he said. Winning was a means to an end, not a goal he can cherish.

Even if he's making more than enough to live comfortably, I think it's human nature to be upset to see others at your office who are less productive but making more money.

Deep TE draft class...

You look at guys like Amendola and in the past Bruschi, who were willing to take less because they want to win. Bennett has made enough to last several life times. Now it's all about greed, but don't call it anything else. Different kind of person than Amendola and Bruschi (and I'm sure there were many more).

Bennett said he was just joking after he said that. I am sorry but if your an NFL player seeing as nothing is guaranteed and your career could be over in a heartbeat I will not call most players greedy. Get what you can get now.. because after your NFL career is over.. what comes next? Not everyone is Bruschi, and Amendola is injury prone, if someone offered Danny a huge contract he would take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes