PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapp: Bennett exit . real possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
not that it means anything but looks like the chances of him leaving are growing..

EDIT:
Looking at some other FA options lately + J Thomas development in Miami my thoughts were changing in this direction as well. There are some young, healthy, decent and above all cheaper options available in FA like Dion Sims, Doyle, Gresham, Luke Wilson, Ryan Griffin, possibly even Cook or Davis. Combined with deep draft class there's quite a lot to work with in case Bennett refuses Pats offer..

Last edited:
I don't think anyone in their right mind expects him back in 2017. It makes TE a need in the draft.

Its a shame how much more money are we talking about?

re Sims . something i posted in draft forum . connected to this article:
5 Value Deals for the New England Patriots in Free Agency
_

Dion Sims (MIA, 26) would certainly be a great pick up and possible long-term solution for Pats #2 TE. His market value currently is half of Bennet's, he's young, durable, consistent, one of the best blocking TE that is coming out as receiving threat as well. Some think Miami might not be bringing him back after Julius Thomas trade, but Id guess Gase thinks differently and sees the two as perfect TE combo. Here's how he sees him:

“It’s basically what he has been all year.” Gase said. “We lost him there for a little bit with some injury, but he has been consistent. He has done a really good job run blocking. He does a really good job (in) pass protection. He has really excelled in the passing game, because he has gotten some opportunity. He hasn’t been used as just a blocker. Ever since that New England game when he caught that one ball where he was going across the field and made a great catch on third down, he showed everybody, ‘I can run. I can catch.’ There are a lot of things he can do to contribute.”

He wasn't producing much in the last game against NE but it's exactly this kind of play (from Sims' first NE game) that brought Hogan to Foxboro..
_

Gase is still interested to bring him back despite Thomas trade.
This is what Sims had to say recently about his future though:

“He /Gase/ told me he wants me back as a No. 1,” Sims said, via the Miami Herald. “I want to be back. I have obviously proven myself to be a starting tight end in the league and want to continue in that role. I’ve done some great things this year and improved a lot.”

Seattle Atlanta Oakland
SF LA Rams make alot of sense for Bennett.
He will easily get 10 Mill a season

Its sad but letting him walk and be a true number 1 is the right move.
Just like cutting Jordan Richards immediately the right move.

We've already offered him $7 mil a year. The highest paid TE in the league is getting $10. Will teams really go that high?

I think yes he is gone, going home to Houston makes sense, but if the offers aren't much higher than $7, would he leave for an extra mill to go play for a crappy team like the Rams? Tough to say.

Shame we never really got to see the damage a healthy Gronk and Bennett could do to a defense on the field at the same time.

I've loved having Marty B, but I always worried about him being like Moss. Once he's happy and content and gets used to the winning, then he'll get back to getting his.

I viewed him as a short-term solution, he played great for us, and it helped him re-shape his image and he's going to get paid. It's a win win. But I never expected BB would bring him back for longer than a year or two more, and I suspect he'll get a much more generous offer in free agency.

Thanks for toughing it out this year Marty, you were a hell of a pro, and loved having you in the building. Wish you all the best moving forward.

Unless you sign with the Jets. Then you're dead to me.

As soon as he made those comments after the superbowl, I knew he was a goner! Let a team overpay him, In BB We Trust!

I knew he was gone when immediately after winning the superbowl he was yelling about how its "time to get paid" and "teams overpay super bowl champions"

Could you imagine someone like edelman saying that?

Edelman dipped his toes in FA waters and found his best opportunity was in New England. He is currently under contract. If he was a free agent this off season, I could see him seeing what's out there. He would owe it to himself to do so.

He can be great, but the question will remain what happens if he gets paid.

He could be the next Mark Anderson, the Pats DE with 10 sacks in 2011. Took a big contract with the Bills, having resurrected his career with the Pats, then nothing. Done in two years (knee injury ended his Bills season, but he returned and was released). Anderson was a sporadic pro bowl level talent (great rookie year), but never showed it consistently.

If Martellus truly enjoyed winning, then he stays and I will be happy for it. If he chases a max contract, which is his right, then welcome to the disgruntled player who groused in Chicago about the team performance, accompanied by a big cap hit. I doubt he will find a great team willing to lay down stupid money, but stranger things have happened. 9 years with 1 Gronk-like year and on his fourth team does not make him indispensable if he presses the issue.

I don't read much into these reports on free agency before free agency. Until the words originate from player or team, they are likely speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes