PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread - Pats @ Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came over here from "The Athletic" and Graff, the new Pats beat writer, said that the Packers likely will just play a two safety high zone D vs. the Pats. He cited that the Packers did the same vs. the Bears...allowing rushes of 4ypc while limiting 20+ yard passing plays.

I like it...it fits what we want to do on offense...pound the ball...play complementary d/ST's.....and hope we steal a Dub in Lambeau!

I'll be rooting like hell for a win but that ain't happening.

Just came over here from "The Athletic" and Graff, the new Pats beat writer, said that the Packers likely will just play a two safety high zone D vs. the Pats. He cited that the Packers did the same vs. the Bears...allowing rushes of 4ypc while limiting 20+ yard passing plays.

I like it...it fits what we want to do on offense...pound the ball...play complementary d/ST's.....and hope we steal a Dub in Lambeau!
Why would they play the same D vs a scrambling QB in Fields and a pocket QB in Brian Hoyer?

They probably bring a safety up and invite Hoyer to turn it into a passing game. Last thing GB will want is for the Pats to establish the run.

Interesting information, and before anyone asks ADOT means Average depth of target...I am really convinced that they have statistics for everything now:

Why would they play the same D vs a scrambling QB in Fields and a pocket QB in Brian Hoyer?

They probably bring a safety up and invite Hoyer to turn it into a passing game. Last thing GB will want is for the Pats to establish the run.
Doesn't answer your question, but here's what Graff wrote ad verbatim (he used to be a Vikings beat writer so he knows the NFC North):

5. But will the Packers change their scheme if they’re set to face a veteran quarterback without a track record of success through the air? If Week 2 was any indication, probably not.

Even though they were playing a Bears team that ran the ball 27 times and threw it just 11, the Packers still sat back in zone defense 75 percent of the time and played with two high safeties more often than one.

Besides the turnovers, the main storyline last week was the Ravens OC making adjustments at halftime that the defense didn’t respond well to.

At least in part, that is attributable to coaching.

On all three phases we have problems.

ST, too. Captain Stone asked an obvious question. Why isn’t Marcus Jones returning punts instead of problematic Myles Bryant?

I expect Bill Belichick to manufacture greatness Sunday against the Packers. We need to be +2 in the turnover battle.

And in the preseason Hoyer was effective at pushing the ball downfield with some impressive zip. Maybe we’ll all be pleasantly surprised.

This will be a fascinating battle between Bill Belichick and ARod.
Gawd, the tv is going to keep showing Little Stevie’s ugly mullet face, aren’t they?

The Packers run a similar offense to the Rams. They know how to scheme guys open but it all falls on Jones/Dillon. The WR room is still a work in progress other than Lazard. If the Pats can stop the run they have a shot. Only problem is GreenBays defense is pretty good and it'll take a clean game to at least make it a game at the end. Lambeau is also a tough place to play in the regular season. I think they're undefeated there the past two seasons (excluding the postseason)

Besides the turnovers, the main storyline last week was the Ravens OC making adjustments at halftime that the defense didn’t respond well to.

At least in part, that is attributable to coaching.

On all three phases we have problems.

ST, too. Captain Stone asked an obvious question. Why isn’t Marcus Jones returning punts instead of problematic Myles Bryant?

I expect Bill Belichick to manufacture greatness Sunday against the Packers. We need to be +2 in the turnover battle.

And in the preseason Hoyer was effective at pushing the ball downfield with some impressive zip. Maybe we’ll all be pleasantly surprised.

We’re gonna hafta take some risks the next few weeks. Pull out some trick plays. I don’t think weve seen any yet.

Need more from special teams. Cant even remember the last real big impact play they made other than falling on a muffed punt. Gunner had a big return again the chargers last year i think? But thats almost a year ago.

And like you said gotta win turnovers. Or at the very least keep them even.

The whole team needs to step up if we want to come out of this stretch with the season still reasonably alive.

The Packers run a similar offense to the Rams. They know how to scheme guys open but it all falls on Jones/Dillon. The WR room is still a work in progress other than Lazard. If the Pats can stop the run they have a shot. Only problem is GreenBays defense is pretty good and it'll take a clean game to at least make it a game at the end. Lambeau is also a tough place to play in the regular season. I think they're undefeated there the past two seasons (excluding the postseason)

zero chance unless Rodgers gets Covid the night before...

Any given Sunday
Sure, on any given Sunday, Rodgers could get injured in the first quarter, or not be ready after contracting the flue or COVID.

"on any given Sunday" presumes a QB.

No one in the NFL is favored by more than the packers.

What we can build off is Wise's sudden rise to a solid, disruptive DE who can set the edge and get to the QB. I told my kids that Wise looked a bit like Willie Mac on Sunday. He has the body type and power, and it seems he's finally putting together the mental aspect. He seems like a leader ready to lead. Also, having Parker (who I've been harsh on so far) do what he did will cause the D have to account for him as a #1. That should start to help Meyers, Bourne, Agholor even more.
Wise had a good game but he was going up against a 4th Rd rookie (4th stringer) that took 90% of the snaps after Mekari went down after 6 snaps.

Yeah, Packers have been giving up a fair clip on the ground this year (and mostly by RB's, with the exception of the Tampa game). Get a couple short fields with turnovers or punt returns and let Harris/Stevenson punch it in, then you've got a decent shot at the upset. If Hoyer has to march 75+ yards every drive, I don't think they score enough points to win, even if the D has a good game.
Looking at the stats, surprisingly these teams are pretty evenly matched (pre-Hoyer). GB 18th in rushing yds allowed. Pats are 19th, etc. Biggest difference is in points allowed [GB - 15 (6th); NEP - 24 (22nd)]. Other concern is Bakhtiari is back and looked solid with limited snaps. They have a good defense. It'll be tough to score points.

Doesn't answer your question, but here's what Graff wrote ad verbatim (he used to be a Vikings beat writer so he knows the NFC North):

5. But will the Packers change their scheme if they’re set to face a veteran quarterback without a track record of success through the air? If Week 2 was any indication, probably not.

Even though they were playing a Bears team that ran the ball 27 times and threw it just 11, the Packers still sat back in zone defense 75 percent of the time and played with two high safeties more often than one.
Fair enough. I think when playing a running QB teams sometimes tend towards zone for a few reasons. 1) have the players eyes facing the QB so they can see when he runs and 2) if it becomes a scramble drill / extended play you have your safeties back so you don’t give up the big play deep.

Hoyer is not a threat to run or extend plays though. If I’m the opposing D I want to stop the run and force Hoyer to beat you. Something he hasn’t been able to do in his last 11 starts.

Interesting information, and before anyone asks ADOT means Average depth of target...I am really convinced that they have statistics for everything now:

Lol at Perriman being on this list.

Fair enough. I think when playing a running QB teams sometimes tend towards zone for a few reasons. 1) have the players eyes facing the QB so they can see when he runs and 2) if it becomes a scramble drill / extended play you have your safeties back so you don’t give up the big play deep.

Hoyer is not a threat to run or extend plays though. If I’m the opposing D I want to stop the run and force Hoyer to beat you. Something he hasn’t been able to do in his last 11 starts.
Yeah, We'll try to run. I think we have to. We have to get them to cheat up on the line, then the play action can work. I not sure Hoyer is up to the task though. Our defense has to win this I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots