PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Dolphins beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Houston and Pittsburgh lose, Rams lose, maybe there's just a good field this year y'all. Lot more parity than were used to seeing especially in the AFC. Anything can happen

Tedy Bruschi said Gronk is the Jumper in Hail Mary situations. Why is Gronk the Jumper? That is beside the fact that the jumper wasn't needed because it wasn't a hail Mary situation. But back to the point, don't the Patriots have a 6'4 guy with a 44 in. Vertical & 4.40 speed. I'm not talking about Josh Gordon. Actual defensive player Obi Melifonwu and that is also ignoring McCourty wasn't out there either. Just a full coaching brain fart.

Tedy Bruschi said Gronk is the Jumper in Hail Mary situations. Why is Gronk the Jumper? That is beside the fact that the jumper wasn't needed because it wasn't a hail Mary situation. But back to the point, don't the Patriots have a 6'4 guy with a 44 in. Vertical & 4.40 speed. I'm not talking about Josh Gordon. Actual defensive player Obi Melifonwu and that is also ignoring McCourty wasn't out there either. Just a full coaching brain fart.

Because Gronk is a bit bigger than 6'4 and has gigantic hands which gives him an edge in terms of tipping a pass or breaking it up.

Having him on the field in an obvious hail mary situation makes sense and I see no reason to not do it. Flores just blew the playcall at the end and send in the wrong package. Something nobody would have realizes 99 out of 100 times this plays out.

This game was so strange. When you block 2 punts, your special teams unit should be decent. Yet, that last play indicated special teams weren't special at all.

Brady getting sacked at the end of the first half and costing us 3 points was strange. The team is usually on top of the situation and knows what they have to do.

Gostkowski's misses came back to haunt us. I was afraid they might.

And yet, Gordon, Gronk, and Edelman and even Patterson made some great catches. Had we played even our B-game, we would have won. That's what makes the loss all the more frustrating. .

What exactly has the last play to do with ST?

Because Gronk is a bit bigger than 6'4 and has gigantic hands which gives him an edge in terms of tipping a pass or breaking it up.

Having him on the field in an obvious hail mary situation makes sense and I see no reason to not do it. Flores just blew the playcall at the end and send in the wrong package. Something nobody would have realizes 99 out of 100 times this plays out.

Gronk had a 33 vertical Obi had a 44 inch vertical. If it was a jump ball (which it wasn't) just to tip or deflect it Gronk's 3 inches in height doesn't make up for Obi's 11 in vertical advantage & experience actually playing defense. Even if you disagree with that part having an actual defender on the field helps in situations just like this.

Gronk had a 33 vertical Obi had a 44 inch vertical. If it was a jump ball (which it wasn't) just to tip or deflect it Gronk's 3 inches in height doesn't make up for Obi's 11 in vertical advantage & experience actually playing defense. Even if you disagree with that part having an actual defender on the field helps in situations just like this.

And Gronk has substantially more experience high pointing the ball and making plays on it. There is a clear reason BB agrees with him being there for hail marys.

Now tackling is a different story.

Yea its frustrating, on the bright side its not a playoff game and we live to fight another day. Something like that ending a season would be excruciating . Ask New Orleans

That play by NO. about as close to this one for play by a defense.. I thought of it immediately after Miami scored.. Uggggh

Hilarious hearing Tannahil y’all about the last play he said he saw Gronk at the very end and was like oh **** Gronks on the field

Tackling and attempting to run are both no-no’s in terms of having Rob Gronkowski as your very last line of defense. Not that you’re arguing any differently, but there was no excuse for having him on the field in that scenario, yesterday. I don’t know what coach’s shoulders that decision falls on, but one would think that Belichick had to have noticed him out there.

Then again, there were a lot of things that they did terribly, so it shouldn’t come down to that one bad decision, either.

Tackling and attempting to run are both no-no’s in terms of having Rob Gronkowski as your very last line of defense. Not that you’re arguing any differently, but there was no excuse for having him on the field in that scenario, yesterday. I don’t know what coach’s shoulders that decision falls on, but one would think that Belichick had to have noticed him out there.

Then again, there were a lot of things that they did terribly, so it shouldn’t come down to that one bad decision, either.

I agree.

As @KontradictioN said right after the game. I am sure that we have seen the last of this package in that specific situation.

The buck stops with BB so ultimately he should have seen it but again the entire thing is so low percentage that it is difficult to say without any hindsight that Gronk being on the field could become a problem.

And Gronk has substantially more experience high pointing the ball and making plays on it. There is a clear reason BB agrees with him being there for hail marys.

The vertical leap is not accurate since jumping with crowd around is limited. That said .. Tannehill can't throw it that far, so moot.

Patriots deserved to lose with dumb mistakes left and right. Usually happens to other teams.. OMG almost feels like beginning of the end when this crap happens... No frikkin way man , not yet

OMG OMG, adding to stupidity is fact that hail Mary uses Gronk and TAKES OUT DMC. .. Probably the best all around safety defender on the team..!!!

And leaves in Harmon. just wow..

almost feels like beginning of the end when this crap happens... No frikkin way man , not yet
If/when they lose in the second or third week of January like I think they might, there will be nonstop articles and chatter suggesting that the end of the dynasty is upon us. The media will be all over it.

I disagree and think that there are still plenty of core pieces to rebuild around as it pertains to free agency and the draft. I think we could see something like the 2006 (AFCCG appearance) and 2007 (SB appearance) which happened after the mediocre season which occurred in 2005, and came after the previous 3/4 SB seasons, which is similar to the current era.

Hilarious hearing Tannahil y’all about the last play he said he saw Gronk at the very end and was like oh **** Gronks on the field

I don’t buy that at all

I agree.

As @KontradictioN said right after the game. I am sure that we have seen the last of this package in that specific situation.

The buck stops with BB so ultimately he should have seen it but again the entire thing is so low percentage that it is difficult to say without any hindsight that Gronk being on the field could become a problem.

I don’t blame Gronk. If there was anyone on D with speed that play doesn’t happen.

If i'm Bill Belichick and i'm reviewing the last play with my team this is how I start out."Look at that poor tackling by Jonathan Jones. Poor angle and doesn't drive into the receiver."

Dude went undrafted for a reason.

...I still had that grilled salmon by the way...left a bad taste in my mouth though...

Rational optimism a day after the Miami Miracle debacle:

• The team has scored 30 PPG/400 ypg since Edelman/Gordon entered the lineup. Gordon is looking a bit quicker & as long as Gronk can move he’s still a useful piece. The offense hit a rough patch without Mason/Cannon but otherwise has been pretty good. Brady is playing his best ball of the year in December.
  • The defense is improved from last year in most metrics. While it still is too Jekyll & Hyde they’ve shown enough this year that there is some hope.
With Kareem Hunt out & Sammy Watkins injured, the team would have more than a puncher’s chance vs. Andy Reid & a first year QB for a trip to the SB.

Beat Pitt. Get the bye & move past this gong show of an ending.

...I still had that grilled salmon by the way...left a bad taste in my mouth though...
I had salmon Saturday night and I was able to enjoy it nah-nah-na-nah-na :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe