PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Dolphins beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
If/when they lose in the second or third week of January like I think they might, there will be nonstop articles and chatter suggesting that the end of the dynasty is upon us. The media will be all over it.

I disagree and think that there are still plenty of core pieces to rebuild around as it pertains to free agency and the draft. I think we could see something like the 2006 (AFCCG appearance) and 2007 (SB appearance) which happened after the mediocre season which occurred in 2005, and came after the previous 3/4 SB seasons, which is similar to the current era.
People are going to say the same thing if they do win it all.

It'll end when it ends.

Tedy Bruschi said Gronk is the Jumper in Hail Mary situations. Why is Gronk the Jumper? That is beside the fact that the jumper wasn't needed because it wasn't a hail Mary situation. But back to the point, don't the Patriots have a 6'4 guy with a 44 in. Vertical & 4.40 speed. I'm not talking about Josh Gordon. Actual defensive player Obi Melifonwu and that is also ignoring McCourty wasn't out there either. Just a full coaching brain fart.
Aside from the missed XPs, FGs and Tom's gaffe, it's justified to question why DMC and Obi Wan weren't in there.

You are the one afraid of the Chiefs and building them up to be the 89 49ers makes zero sense

A team that "manages" to get by without one of their top players, a skiddish HC, crap D and a young QB is incredibly vulnerable.

Just like us

That combo almost beat us at home.

At Arrowhead, in playoff time, WITH Justin Houston and Eric Berry in the line up, it's pretty much insurmountable. Don't confuse for one second the Ravens' D with ours. The only place I feel 'somewhat' comfortable playing them is at Gillette. At Arrowhead, with that noise level and crowd atmosphere, the Pats will get beaten. Book it. And don't confuse Mahomes for Alex Smith. Last year's playoffs loss to the Titans would not have happened had Mahomes played. That kid is special.

Lastly, I'm not afraid. I'm a realist. I'm not one of the blind homies here who think the Pats are invincible. Our defense is just pure G-A-R-B-A-G-E!

Belichick's defenses and his coaching at the end of games:

Important games:

SuperBowl 36: TD allowed with 90 seconds left, 55 yards in 21 seconds
SuperBowl 38: TD allowed with 68 seconds left, 80 yards in 1:43 minute.
SuperBowl 39: TD allowed with 1:50 left, 80 yards in 4 minutes, a double digit lead cut to 3 points.
SuperBowl 42: TD allowed with 35 seconds left, 83 yards in 2 minutes
SuperBowl 46: TD allowed with 58 seconds left, 88 yards in 3 minutes
SuperBowl 52: TD allowed with 2:21 left, 75 yards in 7 minutes

SuperBowl 51: First play on last drive, Devonta Freeman wide open for 35 yards, no one near him. Falcons in easy field goal range, gift the ball back instead of doing anything but what they did. Three kneel downs or three runs win the game.

SuperBowl 49: First play of last drive, Lynch wide open for 30 yards. Seahawks come within 1 yard and Butler makes a historic play/Seahawks make a horrible decision to throw in traffic needing a yard.

AFCCG 2006: TD allowed with 1 minute left, 81 yard with in 2 minutes

AFCCG 2011: Last drive Ravens march without any issue to the Pats 13 yard line, then drop a game winning pass/miss a 32 yard field goal.

2015 Week 16 Pats need a win to secure homefield vs Jets: First drive in OT, TD allowed, 80 yards in 2 minutes

2017 Week 15 ''winner gets homefield in the playoffs game'': Juju Smith Schuster makes a 69 yard run and the Steelers lose because their TE decides to make a stupid play instead of securing the catch/Ben throws a stupid Int with a secured field goal.

Peculiar finishes:

2007 vs Ravens undefeated season on the line, Hail Mary caught, but stopped a yard from TD.

2018 vs Bears, Hail Mary caught but stopped a yard from TD.

And today's new addition, the longest game winning TD in modern NFL history.

Without some appalling mistakes and drops from our opponents, who gave up sure fire field goals into sacks and interceptions, and Brady making a game winning or game leading drive in every single SB, our history would be very different. Our end of game defenses have been thoroughly outplayed and outcoached in the Brady/Belichick era.

It doesn't matter whether it's a HoF QB or your run of the mill Mark Sanchez, Nick Foles or Ryan Tanehill, with the game on the line, we rely on dumb luck/coaching to close out games.

Today was not an aberration, the type of play maybe, but the incompetence of the playing/coaching was not. Especially since it was the coaches who decided to rush 4 instead of 3, when there's absolutely zero chance of a Hail Mary pass so pressuring the QB makes almost no difference and playing a slow TE instead of the fastest defensive player of the team as the last line of defense.

This list reminded me of 2014 playoff game vs Ravens. Here are highlights:

At the end of the game after the interception, I think the Patriots could have run off the entire clock but did not and Ravens called a TO and got one last hail marry attempt.

I think I am remembering this correctly. Does anyone else remember this?

Makes me sick to think about yesterday. So I won't.

That combo almost beat us at home.

At Arrowhead, in playoff time, WITH Justin Houston and Eric Berry in the line up, it's pretty much insurmountable. Don't confuse for one second the Ravens' D with ours. The only place I feel 'somewhat' comfortable playing them is at Gillette. At Arrowhead, with that noise level and crowd atmosphere, the Pats will get beaten. Book it. And don't confuse Mahomes for Alex Smith. Last year's playoffs loss to the Titans would not have happened had Mahomes played. That kid is special.

Lastly, I'm not afraid. I'm a realist. I'm not one of the blind homies here who think the Pats are invincible. Our defense is just pure G-A-R-B-A-G-E!

Eric Berry hasn't played in a year and 3/4 of a season but you suddenly think he'll come back right away to All-Pro form? Tom should throw right at him all day. I wouldn't count on him to help that 30th ranked defense.

Since Reid can't manage playoff games and Mahomes has never played in one and they don't have Hunt I really don't know why you are putting them on such a pedestal.

They may very well beat the Pats but if i'm a Chiefs fan im sure as hell not as confident as you are.

Last edited:
Who was the idiot DB that tried to intercept the original pass instead of just wrapping up?

I missed the game but watching that one play tells me everything I need to know.

Jumping in at the end, so I’m not sure if this has been posted. One big takeaway from the game for me was that we didn’t get cute on ST’s with those kicks dropping at the 1-2 yard line we can’t cover. I hope to see more of that as we go forward.

A little thing, but at this point, you’re looking for positive little things to grasp on to. :(

This list reminded me of 2014 playoff game vs Ravens. Here are highlights:

At the end of the game after the interception, I think the Patriots could have run off the entire clock but did not and Ravens called a TO and got one last hail marry attempt.

I think I am remembering this correctly. Does anyone else remember this?

I remember it was very close. If the Pats had wasted a bit more time during the actual plays I think they could have run it out. They also had to punt which has its own risks.

I found out what happened. We had a guest HC the last drive to help us out...
fl-xpm-2012-10-10-sfl-almostmiami-dolphins-coach-jeff-fisher-says-things-worked-out-for-the-best-20121010

Important games:

SuperBowl 39: TD allowed with 1:50 left, 80 yards in 4 minutes, a double digit lead cut to 3 points.

SuperBowl 51: First play on last drive, Devonta Freeman wide open for 35 yards, no one near him. Falcons in easy field goal range, gift the ball back instead of doing anything but what they did. Three kneel downs or three runs win the game.

SuperBowl 49: First play of last drive, Lynch wide open for 30 yards. Seahawks come within 1 yard and Butler makes a historic play/Seahawks make a horrible decision to throw in traffic needing a yard.

AFCCG 2011: Last drive Ravens march without any issue to the Pats 13 yard line, then drop a game winning pass/miss a 32 yard field goal.

2015 Week 16 Pats need a win to secure homefield vs Jets: First drive in OT, TD allowed, 80 yards in 2 minutes

2017 Week 15 ''winner gets homefield in the playoffs game'': Juju Smith Schuster makes a 69 yard run and the Steelers lose because their TE decides to make a stupid play instead of securing the catch/Ben throws a stupid Int with a secured field goal.

Peculiar finishes:

2007 vs Ravens undefeated season on the line, Hail Mary caught, but stopped a yard from TD.

Without some appalling mistakes and drops from our opponents, who gave up sure fire field goals into sacks and interceptions, and Brady making a game winning or game leading drive in every single SB, our history would be very different. Our end of game defenses have been thoroughly outplayed and outcoached in the Brady/Belichick era.

It doesn't matter whether it's a HoF QB or your run of the mill Mark Sanchez, Nick Foles or Ryan Tanehill, with the game on the line, we rely on dumb luck/coaching to close out games.

Today was not an aberration, the type of play maybe, but the incompetence of the playing/coaching was not. Especially since it was the coaches who decided to rush 4 instead of 3, when there's absolutely zero chance of a Hail Mary pass so pressuring the QB makes almost no difference and playing a slow TE instead of the fastest defensive player of the team as the last line of defense.
Great work but its the nature of this particular TD, i can only remember the hook and ladder work once, and that was in a college game. So will be seeing this replayed for years, it will be in the montage of every network that broadcasts the NFL.

Because Gronk is a bit bigger than 6'4 and has gigantic hands which gives him an edge in terms of tipping a pass or breaking it up.

Having him on the field in an obvious hail mary situation makes sense and I see no reason to not do it. Flores just blew the playcall at the end and send in the wrong package. Something nobody would have realizes 99 out of 100 times this plays out.

The Genius can’t be at fault can he! Bill Belichick should have made sure they had and were in the right defense at the end of the game just as he should have made sure Brady fully understood the situation at the end of the first half.

You Belichick apologists give him all the credit but deflect all the blame. Belichick morphed into Raymond Berry yesterday befuddled and bemused. There’s more signs he’s slipping from age than Gronk from injury, but you guys still want him to coach until he’s 90.

Great work but its the nature of this particular TD, i can only remember the hook and ladder work once, and that was in a college game. So will be seeing this replayed for years, it will be in the montage of every network that broadcasts the NFL.
I remember Miami pulling it off late in the game against SD back in the 80s in a playoff gaME, BUT it wasn't the final game, and SD still won./ It was a game where SD squandered a 17-0 or 24-0 lead before holding on to win in OT, though.

The only silver lining to this game is it possibly allows the Dolphins to waste a playoff spot that could go to a team like the Ravens or Colts that could actually win a road playoff game.

I went back and rewatched the final play. Nothing miraculous about it, the phins had a clear and easy path to the end zone. Some basic things will need to be iron out in the offseason.

Important games:

Peculiar finishes:

SuperBowl 49: Also before the end of the half, up 14-7, It took the Seahawks only 29 seconds to drive 80 yards and tie the game again lol.

SuperBowl 49: Also before the end of the half, up 14-7, It took the Seahawks only 29 seconds to drive 80 yards and tie the game again lol.
Seattle was not even going to try and score. But they got 20 yards on a first down run and said “What the heck”.

Jumping in at the end, so I’m not sure if this has been posted. One big takeaway from the game for me was that we didn’t get cute on ST’s with those kicks dropping at the 1-2 yard line we can’t cover. I hope to see more of that as we go forward.
Eric Berry hasn't played in a year and 3/4 of a season but you suddenly think he'll come back right away to All-Pro form? Tom should throw right at him all day. I wouldn't count on him to help that 30th ranked defense.

Since Reid can't manage playoff games and Mahomes has never played in one and they don't have Hunt I really don't know why you are putting them in such a pedestal.

They may very well beat the Pats but if i'm a Chiefs fan im sure as hell not as confident as you are.
Though I agree mostly with what you say, another part of me keeps telling myself the fins had the 29th ranked run defense, a shotty QB, and was missing one the best DB’s in Howard. Taking that into account and the loss against the hapless Titans, the underperforming Lions, and the (wtf happened to them?) Jaguars, I cant help but feel like this years Patriots are some team that has been pulled through the bizarro reality. This Patriots team will go against a Chiefs team they’ve already beaten, find a way to shut down Mahomes and the high powered offense just to produce no points on offense, give up a TD on a strip sack, throw a pick six, and Reid will masterfully work the clock to send us home with our heads hung down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST