Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

POLL: Who Do you Think will be the Better NFL QB? (And Who Would You Want?)

• Caleb Williams

• Drake Maye

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's more likely that we ask for higher picks in future years than tons of pick this year. Definitely in the case of the high first rounder I hope we would ask for a future first.
Agreed.

If we are moving from 8 to 25 with KC, we need another 1st round pick.

My only concern with Daniels is that he's listed at 6'4" and 205-210. He really needs to get up to 215 bare minimum, and preferably 220-225 (without loosing his speed and quickness). Otherwise, he looks like, with the right coaching and talent around him, that he could be a true steal.
Brady was too frail to start in his first year.

He built himself up.

As for the OP's question:

Not sure. I have seen Williams play...being on the west coast here. Haven't seen any of Maye nor Daniels. Seen a lot of Nix/Penix....I liked what I saw of Nix a lot. McCarthy? All UM games have been low scoring defensive games from what I have seen...but the last time we drafted an UM QB, we did all right....

Am waiting for the season to wind down....then will gamble on the NFL playoffs...then be a full time draftnik from Feb to late April...by then I should have an opinion or two....

I would probably lean toward maye over Williams because I can’t watch any 6‘0 qb anymore but I haven’t watched them
I saw some lsu games and I like daniels
Maybe daniels would be available in a very small trade down which nets another day 2 pick

Anyway I don’t want to see a defense player draft till day 3
I think they have to take a QB and a LT in the first 2 rounds. But when you get to the 3rd round, picking WRs is scattershot. There will be better ones in the 6th round than some of those going in the 3rd, you just don't know. They have a need at CB at this point as well since Jon Jones is going to be 32.

Williams is a solid 6'0". He's not like Bryant Young or Drew Brees.

He's one inch off Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers.

You pick one of them. Both are difference makers and if coached right can be special.

Want to see the workouts and measureables but right now I’d go with Maye.

Has the prototypical size, arm and running ability to really light it up. Best deep ball in the class and a pedigree that coaches will love.

As far as playmaking, Caleb is just off the charts. He can make throws that only a couple of QBs can make right now in the NFL. Pats are going to have to get down and dirty to see what kind of man this kid is gonna be. On one hand he’s emotional, is that his desire to win and compete at the highest level, or is he just not mature enough to accept failure? Maybe something that can be worked with? His dad seems like a meddling Lavaar Ball type but thats just the perception I get from him.

To me, it’s Maye but I’d be ok with Williams with a huge smile knowing the excitement and enthusiasm he’d bring here.

There’s other routes they may have to take if the two aren’t available, like Daniels with a tradeback but I want a kings ransom for the pick. F the draft value chart. He’s a good story, improved drastically season to season, gonna scout him best I can, mac jones had a couple of high powered targets and lit up college game day every week. This guy had Nabers and Thomas every Saturday so you got to take that into consideration. Can he make the reads or is he a Joe Burrow type of QB? Interesting boom prospect non the less. Pat’s have homework to do.

Having Joe Alt, Harrison or Nabers and then coming back with Nix in the 2nd is interesting. Want no part of Penix who is basically mac jones jimmy glass type that has been injured 4 of his 5 college years. I’ll take Bo Nix all day over Penix and his 65% cmp percentage.

QB’s win games so if your in position to take Williams or Maye and you believe one of them are the guy than you do it and figure out the rest later.

My pick:

giphy.gif

I want Daniel’s, but I would be fine with any of them. But that’s also a preliminary opinion because I don’t know enough about any of them yet. And at QB the mental aspect of the game is as important as the rest of the equation. Are they a winner, mentally, and can they lead, are important questions to answer. And I don’t mean “ winner” simply by their record, but by how they respond when things get tough.

The primary reason I want Daniels is that I want a really athletic QB for a change. Maye is a decent athlete, and is similar to Burrows athletically. He’s not going to kill teams running the ball, but he’s not going to kill his team by being statuesque in the pocket, I have concerns about Williams size, and how he would fare in bad weather in New England. And if all 3 are gone and they have to take a guy like McCarthy then I would have no problem with them going back to the well and taking Nix, Pennix, or another QB with their second pick.

If Belichick is gone then the question for the Kraft’s shouldn’t be about how to get in the playoffs, it should be about how to become great again. And the road to greatness requires a great GM, a great HC, and a great QB. So if I’m the Kraft’s I am first looking to who will run football operation, and deciding whether I want Groh, Wolf, or both of them In charge of the team. Although they will ultimately have to settle on one of them. Then I would let them make the decision on a HC, and take as many shots on getting a great QB as it takes. I don’t care if they go after multiple QB’s in a draft, whatever it takes to find a great one is fine with me, as that’s how you become great again.

Brady was too frail to start in his first year.

He built himself up.
Exactly! If those who are in the know (that determine if his frame can add the additional weight/muscle), believe that he can build himself up and still keep his athletic ability, but endure the rigors of the QB position at the pro-level, then that would be awesome!

How did you calculate so? In my mind, I have the Pats winning one more for a final record of 4-13. That keeps us ahead of everybody but the Panthers...and the Commanders beat us...so did the Giants...

Who can leapfrog us 2x? Of course, my calculations have us losing in Denver and Buffalo.....
I'm not 100% sure, but if we end up tied with the Commanders, the tie-breaker comes down to strength of schedule over head to head matchup. As of this week, their SoS is .515 and ours is .519 which would give them the better pick. However, they have Dallas, San Fran, and the Jete remaining, which I think is stronger than Buffalo, Denver, and aforementioned Jete.

There should be a 3rd option, @Ian :

NEITHER. They're both going to bust.. *ROFLMAO*

An overlooked part of Maye's game is he runs a 4.6 40 at 6'4" 230 lbs., had a 698 yard rushing season & had 16 rushing TDs in his two years as a starter. He's the complete package and why some analysts have him above Williams. Here's what Brugler said who has him #1 overall on his board currently:

Cut from the same cloth as Justin Herbert, Maye (2,559 yards passing, 22 total TDs) continues to impress with his on-field command despite inconsistent help around him. A tall, well-put-together athlete, he has an explosive release with the touch to threaten every level of the field.

He still makes a few more reckless decisions than you’d want, but his timing has improved, and his aggressive decision-making is more of a strength than a weakness.

Here's Breer on Maye & his intangibles:

The pats likely won't have a choice between Williams & Maye. I'd argue Maye is safer due to his size & has shown more consistently playing within structure. However, Williams has rare playmaking ability & it's no surprise that he's the heavy favorite to go #1 overall. Both of them are franchise QB prospects & arguably the two best QB prospects since Lawrence.

Caleb Williams could be the next Tom Brady in New England.

Tough to pass that up.

With Daniels, it’s not just a lack of muscle. Look how narrow his hips and shoulders are. He has a thin bone structure. I’m not sure how he will hold up in the NFL.

1703350261770.jpeg

He’s also already 23. How would Maye or Williams look two years from now… while also playing for an elite football school like LSU.

Williams: the thing I distrust about Caleb is whether he'd stay here beyond 4 years. He seems like more of a Hollywood/social media type than Maye. That feeling's not based on a lot of facts, but I want a serious guy that wants to be here.

Daniels and Nix. A big part of whether we draft Williams/Maye is what kind of delta the Pats see between them and Daniels, as well as Bo Nix. If we feel that those guys can be great QB's too, it'll open the path to a trade down. if there's a cliff after Williams/Maye, then we probably take one of them.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back