PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Golden Tate unlikely to be re-signed by Philly (update: would love to play with Brady)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tate is a really good player I just don’t see them going over 3/26/ 16 for him, and others will go higher.

We've heard this in the past would love to play there then they sign with the Jets.
Matt Forte.

We've heard this in the past would love to play there then they sign with the Jets.
Matt Forte.
Forte did the Pats a favor. Smart move by Tate to say he’d play for the Pats. Now teams will want to pay more if they want to keep him away from the Pats.

I think Tate would be a fantastic fit here and would be very excited if we sign him. As always, it all depends on the price, but I do think we'd get more value out of him than almost anyone else given that his main strengths are route-running and racking up yards after the catch. No team can do a better job putting him in a position to use these strengths than the Pats can.

I expect someone will overpay him, though.

Doesn’t matter, Gordon is not a player that can be counted upon in any way. They can bring him back and use him to the best of his abilities but they can’t count on him to be available for the next game, at any point in the season.

Unfortunately he did just that. Hopefully he gets his life together.

We should have just kept Cooks if we wanted to pay someone like Tate

Matt Forte.

Yeah him coming out and saying "Pats" makes me feel much worse about their chances about getting him. Not sure why..just my feeling

If Tate goes for anything in the ballpark of Cooks money then yeah, but his contract that just ended had a $6M AAV, while Cooks' current contract has a $16M AAV.

Cooks is better than Tate, no doubt about that. but if you can get Tate for half the money then I'll take that over paying Cooks any day. Especially because I think Cook is a mediocre-to-bad match to Brady's strengths, while Tate is a fantastic match whose strengths align well with Brady's own.

Forte did the Pats a favor. Smart move by Tate to say he’d play for the Pats. Now teams will want to pay more if they want to keep him away from the Pats.
Agreed. Now the Jets will throw 3 for 45 at him. Those morons.

While Cooks is a good player, he’s not worth throwing big time money at. I assume the Pats had seen what I’ve seen out of Cooks and why they traded him - he plays like his size (small), he drops critical passes and easily gets outmuscled by DB’s on 50/50 balls. In fact, if a DB lays a finger on him, he’ll drop the pass.

Trading Cooks to the Rams was the MVP of the Super Bowl. He couldn’t come down with two game changing passes - one when he was all alone in the end zone before JMac was barely able to contest it and another possible TD right before Goff threw the INT in the 4th quarter. Rams paid him a lot of money to make those types of catches.

Cooks is becoming that player you can count on to come up small in big games.

Last edited:

Tate is exactly the type of player that Cooks didn't end up being. Someone who can dig through the trash in the MOF, is elusive not just straight-line fast and can run more than 2-3 routes.

Now that being said I don't think he is worth the contract that people are speculating about. Not in this offense. For him to be worth a 10m+ contract he'd need to be impactful on almost every snap like Gronk still does and be among the most targeted options on offense.

Not as bad as Welker being 0 and 3
1 for 4 when you include his big payday at the Kentucky Derby, tripping balls, handing out hundred dollar bills.

That has to count as a victory, somewhere.

Cooks got 80 million, Tate won’t even get half of that. Tate is looking at 3 years, and some team will probably go 35 million, but I doubt it will be NE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back