PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Golden Tate unlikely to be re-signed by Philly (update: would love to play with Brady)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know we don't have that much cap room?

I don't see cap space being any issue really. Especially not when it comes to giving a pay bump to Edelman. There is enough flexibility all around to get things done if we really want to.

Last edited:
Really want Tate here. Perfect fit.

You know we don't have that much cap room? You want us to give Edelman (who will be 32 at the start of the season) a pay bump so we can also then pay Tate? That's not a great plan given most want to re-sign Flowers et al.

I think the plan has to be to shop in the bargain basement and give a few prove it deals out in free agency and then attack the draft and double dip there.
He's in the last year of his deal despite age I think he deserves an extension and we need him more than just this year. His cap hit is already 4.5 so think he could get a good deal and his first year cap hit wouldn't have to be too much higher if at all. Then we can shop however we want without worrying about his feelings and he'd be locked up for Brady's career. Win win win.

Tate got traded from Detroit and although not confirmed he was said to be one of the veterans who didn't like Patricia's discipline and extra training. How do you think he'll like Bill's version?

:eek:

If we get the right guys we could go back to the 2011 offense scheme. That would destroy so many teams in this league. This would mean we would need to look at getting a TE to go with Gronk or two depending if he retires or not. That offense scheme was potent

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
Tate, Sanders (torn Achilles, so I wouldn't count on him but he's worth kicking the tires), Beasley, Dola and Thomas (not a huge fan of him but he's a solid option). Lots of options. Let's not waste any draft picks (we need help in a lot of other areas) on a probable wide reciever bust and load up with some vet wide outs and make another run.

If we get the right guys we could go back to the 2011 offense scheme. That would destroy so many teams in this league. This would mean we would need to look at getting a TE to go with Gronk or two depending if he retires or not. That offense scheme was potent

TJ Hockenson

Tate got traded from Detroit and although not confirmed he was said to be one of the veterans who didn't like Patricia's discipline and extra training. How do you think he'll like Bill's version?

:eek:

Then he simply will say no to us, and we move on to the next guy.

Tate, Sanders (torn Achilles, so I wouldn't count on him but he's worth kicking the tires), Beasley, Dola and Thomas (not a huge fan of him but he's a solid option). Lots of options. Let's not waste any draft picks (we need help in a lot of other areas) on a probable wide reciever bust and load up with some vet wide outs and make another run.

Due to cap restrictions, the Patriots may not be able to sign the likes of Tate or AJ Green. They will likely draft a receiver.

Tate already has a super bowl ring so there is no incentive for him to sign anywhere unless he gets top dollar. His relatively low production in Philly helps teams like us and hurts him.

You go by "TommyBrady12" and you think ONE ring will automatically satisfy a competitive player?

I mean he missed like 16 or 17 games since 2011. Calling him injury prone is a bit strong. I think he could give us at least 2 really strong seasons on the outside. Even if his speed might decline at some point he is still damn good at getting those 50/50 balls.

Again I am not saying it is a likely thing but just something I saw when looking at players in the final year of their contract. Those are usually more interesting than FAs.
I agree I love AJ Green but I would of loved him 3 years ago even more.
Him and Gordon paired up is stealing for Brady.
For a second I thought about Martavius Bryant but him and Gordon would be poison to each other.
I think putting Gordon around another struggling addict is like throwing gasoline on fire.

Due to cap restrictions, the Patriots may not be able to sign the likes of Tate or AJ Green. They will likely draft a receiver.
None of the guys I mentioned will be expensive outside of maybe Tate. I'd rather they focus on defensive line, linebackers, safety, tight end, QB, and it's always good to grab a linemen or two.

I've been on board for a few years of just not drafting receivers at all period (yeah I know Edelman was a draft pick) at least with the high picks. Just stick to vets. It seems like our system is tough to pick up for young guys, or our guys just can't evaluate talent whatever the reason it is, it hasn't worked out well on draft day.

I love Tate - sign him and draft a burner
Perfect for this offense.
He really is
Gordon Tate and Edelman give us great options throw in a bright eyed rookie and a Philip Dorsett with something to prove I'm good with that lineup.
I have a soft spot for Patterson as a gadget guy and a kick returner.
Drafting Deebo would make Patterson redundant.
I'm good with either of those options but I love the threat in the return game Patterson brought.

You go by "TommyBrady12" and you think ONE ring will automatically satisfy a competitive player?

I don’t know anything about Golden Tate’s competitiveness. I willing to bet it’s less than Tom’s though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back