PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Golden Tate unlikely to be re-signed by Philly (update: would love to play with Brady)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Thomas tear his Achilles (or ACL)?

Tate already has a super bowl ring so there is no incentive for him to sign anywhere unless he gets top dollar. His relatively low production in Philly helps teams like us and hurts him.

It's an assumption that getting a Super Bowl ring means he's in all-out mercenary mode. I'm sure there's motivation for multiple Super Bowl rings and to play for a great organization. However, you are probably right regardless, as not many players really take a discount for a better chance to win a championship, despite them all saying that's a top priority.

Didn't Thomas tear his Achilles (or ACL)?

Wrong thread. But yes DT tore his achilles pretty late in December. So he will not be ready for OTAs or the start of camp. At best he will be doing rehab through camp and start on PUP if someone signs him.

Wrong thread. But yes DT tore his achilles pretty late in December. So he will not be ready for OTAs or the start of camp. At best he will be doing rehab through camp and start on PUP if someone signs him.

I wonder what the market will be for DT. His skill set was already in decline before the ACL tear....but he still has a big body that we could use in the red zone.

Tate Gordon Edelman amendola Patterson

(If tate is affordable and da/Gordon become available for us) I think brady would be happy. Nice combination of playmaking potential/dependability/depth. And Patterson maybe the best kr in the league so he fills 2 spots. 3 if you count emergency rb.

Whatever the plan for the position is, I would work a little bit inclined to moving on from Josh Gordon. I would love him back and motivated for a comeback story but the reality is that you can't count on him and planning around him is a huge mistake.

Whatever the plan for the position is, I would work a little bit inclined to moving on from Josh Gordon. I would love him back and motivated for a comeback story but the reality is that you can't count on him and planning around him is a huge mistake.

DT tore his achilles within how many weeks of the Texans trading for him ?

The bottomline is that you need to have redundancy no matter what if you want to contend.

DT tore his achilles within how many weeks of the Texans trading for him ?

The bottomline is that you need to have redundancy no matter what if you want to contend.
He played most of the rest of the season after the trade. 7-8 weeks. I think your confusing him with Dez who tore his in practice a few days after he signed.

While I think McDaniels would probably have been very interested in DT if he was coming off of a straight cap-related release from the Texans, a 31 year old WR who's going to be well under a year into his post-Achilles surgery rehab is a risky investment.

If we consider a 30y old Golden Tate for around 10m as a FA, I would take a swing at asking the Bengals how much they'd want for a 31 year old AJ Green in his final contract year at 12m.

Signing Tate for around 10m would most probably cost us a third round comp pick (via Trent Brown or Trey Flowers) in a year anyway so if it is somewhat comparable might as well go for the moonshot and get a truly dominant outside guy.

The Bengals might value draft picks over the final year of a player they might not extend anyhow.

interesting...and with BB looking at rookie HCs for trades....hmm

He played most of the rest of the season after the trade. 7-8 weeks. I think your confusing him with Dez who tore his in practice a few days after he signed.

No I wasn't confusing him. He got traded on October 31 and played 7 games for the Texans.

The point here is that Gordon at some point relapsing is no different than a player suffering a season-ender. Both can happen at any point and you gotta have depth behind that player to absorb losing that player.

And as long as that player doesn't really cause any headaches while he is available or poisons the lockerroom somehow there is no reason to preemptively send him away. Especially when from an economic point of view it is still a big value deal (RFA).

I love Golden Tate (he can block as well as catch) but I'd rather have a deep threat who can create separation.

I don't think we need one. Other than Moss who was a legend in his own right, Brady really hasn't made great use of deep threats. Brady lives in the 5-15 yard distance, and if he needs more, then dialing up a catch and run play that adds a lot of YACs, so picking up guys who play to what his strengths actually are, rather than guys who play to the strengths we wish Brady had, is probably a good move.

Best offense we've had in a long time was built on Gronk, Edelman, White and Dola, all short to middle distance receivers. Because that's where Brady lives. Dunno about you, but I think that Tate is one of the better FA options to replace Dola in that offensive set -- unless you're talking about bringing the man himself back, which I'd also support.

He's only managed a half a season each over the past two seasons.

Being on the wrong side of 30, he might have a couple decent years left in him, but a third round trade for him seems excessive.

All I'll say is if Gronk doesn't come back this team will need to sign a legit offensive weapon.

I don't think we need one. Other than Moss who was a legend in his own right, Brady really hasn't made great use of deep threats. Brady lives in the 5-15 yard distance, and if he needs more, then dialing up a catch and run play that adds a lot of YACs, so picking up guys who play to what his strengths actually are, rather than guys who play to the strengths we wish Brady had, is probably a good move.

Best offense we've had in a long time was built on Gronk, Edelman, White and Dola, all short to middle distance receivers. Because that's where Brady lives. Dunno about you, but I think that Tate is one of the better FA options to replace Dola in that offensive set -- unless you're talking about bringing the man himself back, which I'd also support.

For crying out loud...

We saw how helpful having a middle-deep threat was just last year, and we saw how different this season's offense was able to be when Gordon was here this year.

And even a blind man can see that BB looks to bring in someone to fill the role, time after time after time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back