PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Golden Tate unlikely to be re-signed by Philly (update: would love to play with Brady)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooks is 0 and 2 in the big game he's cursed.
Losing SB back to back... I hope he does not make it this year. Losing three times in a row starts to rival Bills' losing four in a row. That is no good

Last edited:
Tate would be a good fit but probably would cost more than we want to spend at WR for another 'super slot' guy.

I feel it's more likely we trade for AB, OBJ, Green, or a guy who can play that role. Those guys are difference makers who can also play outside. We really had zero outside WR production in the playoffs. It was all Edelman in the slot and Gronk in the seams.

Tate would be a good fit but probably would cost more than we want to spend at WR for another 'super slot' guy.

I feel it's more likely we trade for AB, OBJ, Green, or a guy who can play that role. Those guys are difference makers who can also play outside. We really had zero outside WR production in the playoffs. It was all Edelman in the slot and Gronk in the seams.

FWIW, Edelman only lined up in the slot 45% of the time last year. They definitely need an outside receiver too, but IMO this offense would have plenty of use for a second quality "slot plus" guy like Tate.

FWIW, Edelman only lined up in the slot 45% of the time last year. They definitely need an outside receiver too, but IMO this offense would have plenty of use for a second quality "slot plus" guy like Tate.
That's because they played with only 2 wide receivers on the field most of thr time. What percentage was he in the slot when they were in 11 personnel

Trading Cooks to the Rams was the MVP of the Super Bowl. He couldn’t come down with two game changing passes - one when he was all alone in the end zone before JMac was barely able to contest it and another possible TD right before Goff threw the INT in the 4th quarter. Rams paid him a lot of money to make those types of catches.

It's bad enough to blame Cooks for not coming up with the catch on the play where he was the victim of pass interference (arm pin) that we'd have been screaming about if it had been done to a Patriots receiver, but are we really so desperate to denigrate Cooks that we're going to blame him for a play where his QB was about an hour and a half late with a pass, which gave the defender time to get back and break up a play in a spot where Cooks couldn't move because of the back line?

Why do Patriots fans who post here have to be that way about players from other teams?

Due to cap restrictions, the Patriots may not be able to sign the likes of Tate or AJ Green. They will likely draft a receiver.

The Patriots were given a Cap Credit of over 5.7M. And that is before they do any other cap maneuvers where they could free up a lot more money..

Due to cap restrictions, the Patriots may not be able to sign the likes of Tate or AJ Green. They will likely draft a receiver.

There is nobody in this league we could not sign if BB thought he could get relative value with that contract given how well managed our cap is (and always has been) for the next few years.

If Tate goes for anything in the ballpark of Cooks money then yeah, but his contract that just ended had a $6M AAV, while Cooks' current contract has a $16M AAV.

Cooks is better than Tate, no doubt about that. but if you can get Tate for half the money then I'll take that over paying Cooks any day. Especially because I think Cook is a mediocre-to-bad match to Brady's strengths, while Tate is a fantastic match whose strengths align well with Brady's own.
I'm not sure Cooks is "better" than Tate, but rather they are 2 completely different receivers as far as their skills go. Clearly the premium pay checks are going by and large to those receivers who are perceived as being able to "stretch the field", which Cooks obvious does.

For what the Pats do offensively Tate would obviously fit in very well and be an upgrade to Hogan or Dorsett. However cost is going to be a HUGE issue and test the veracity of Tate's "love" to play with the Pats.

I didn't think much of it at first, but people who opine that it would be some kind of heresy to pay any FA WR more than what we pay JE have a legitimate concern. It's a bit overblown, imo, but there nonetheless.

There's also the issue of our own cap situation. Miguel has us at about $17MM under the cap right now, with the ability to reasonably get to $30-40MM given some extensions, retirements, releases, and salary cuts.

Lets say the number gets to $30MM over the next 2months. I can't see the Pats paying any WR $10MM cap hit, when they need to add youth and production on the DL, S, and LB

If Tate wants to play for that $8MM/yr range, they'd do it for him, imo. BTW- I love Jules as much as the next guy and understand just how important he was to this last Superbowl run, BUT over the last 2 season, he's missed 20 games, and still got paid for most of them. Besides, I don't think that he's one of those guys who gives a good sh!t about who makes what.

It's bad enough to blame Cooks for not coming up with the catch on the play where he was the victim of pass interference (arm pin) that we'd have been screaming about if it had been done to a Patriots receiver, but are we really so desperate to denigrate Cooks that we're going to blame him for a play where his QB was about an hour and a half late with a pass, which gave the defender time to get back and break up a play in a spot where Cooks couldn't move because of the back line?

Why do Patriots fans who post here have to be that way about players from other teams?
Cooks was easily their best offensive player in that game. Both "drops" were quite understandable. The second one was a clear PI that we got away with.

Losing SB back to back... I hope he does not make it this year. Losing three times in a row starts to rival Bills' losing four in a row. That is no good

He’s a player, not a team.

The point of my argument was that he can't overcome any type of contact and he's paid a lot to make those contested catches in critical moments of the game.

Was Goff late? Absolutely, but Cooks was doomed once JMac got a chance to put a hand up.

Did Gilmore get a away with a PI? Sure, but it was just another example of Cooks' inability to overcome contact.

I have always liked Tate since his days of making Jimmy Clausen a second round pick, but I'm not sold he is really a perfect fit..Granted he would be incredible insurance in case of an Edelman injury, but I wouldn't want to pay a hefty chunk for another line of schrimage/short route type player. I would rather get Humphries or Amendola for cheaper and then bring in a guy like John Brown. With that being said Tom is incredible and doesn't really need balance in the receiving corps.

The point of my argument was that he can't overcome any type of contact and he's paid a lot to make those contested catches in critical moments of the game.

Was Goff late? Absolutely, but Cooks was doomed once JMac got a chance to put a hand up.

Did Gilmore get a away with a PI? Sure, but it was just another example of Cooks' inability to overcome contact.

The point of your argument is not viable, because you acknowledge the pass interference of one and the screwed status of the other. If there's no P.I., Cooks has a TD. If Goff doesn't toss up a late balloon that allowed the defender to get back against a WR who's basically pinned against the back line, Cooks has a TD.

Your point has no merit in either example, so there's no sense in denigrating the WR over them.

Cooks was easily their best offensive player in that game. Both "drops" were quite understandable. The second one was a clear PI that we got away with.

That’s setting the bar pretty low considering they only scored 3 pts. Although he’s a punter I say hekker was the rams best offensive player flipping field position. Most of cooks yards were on that last drive with us playing back.

The point of your argument is not viable, because you acknowledge the pass interference of one and the screwed status of the other. If there's no P.I., Cooks has a TD. If Goff doesn't toss up a late balloon that allowed the defender to get back against a WR who's basically pinned against the back line, Cooks has a TD.

Your point has no merit in either example, so there's no sense in denigrating the WR over them.
No, you’re still not getting it. Players can still make catches while being interfered with or a QB finding him late.

I’ll say it again, any contact that Cooks has or a DB contesting the catch, he’ll drop the ball.

If Gilmore would’ve stuck a hand in the air rather than on Cooks’ arm, I still think he wouldn’ve dropped the ball.

The Patriots were given a Cap Credit of over 5.7M. And that is before they do any other cap maneuvers where they could free up a lot more money..

They can invest a lot at WR if in fact Flowers is gone to MIA or gone in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back