PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: After fateful PSI report, NFL declined to give real numbers to Chris Mortensen

Status
Not open for further replies.
In appearances on TV and radio, Mort said he immediately backtracked to the safer ground of “significantly underinflated.” But Mort’s January 20 tweet and ESPN.com story that contained the 2 pounds per square inch number remained uncorrected for more than six months — even as Rapoport offered contradictory reporting. Mort said he made more phone calls during that period but found the NFL had gone silent.

If this is true... then for the sake of his own credibility and integrity he should have said he had doubts about his report and the league was not being helpful when he tried to double check on it.

Someone not only gave him the wrong information but ordered him to keep things quiet.... and I suspect it goes right to the very top.

And at the point that the NFL declined to clarify, Mortensen should have publicly stated what was going on. It's only fair, and might have mitigated some of the damage. But no, he made it clear that he cared far more about toeing the NFL company line than actually being right or operating with a shred of integrity, so **** him.

I love the fact that Florio is once again reminding everyone that Defamegate was a sham from the beginning, and I usually agree with everything that he says about it

But I can't stand that he's portraying Mort as a victim in this. Mort became aware almost immediately that false information that HE released was causing an innocent person to be crucified by public opinion, and he didn't do anything to correct it

F Mort. He's just as much of a scumbag as goodell and Kensil

Mort can help make it right by revealing who gave him the false information. He knows who it was. Sure it may end his career at least in association with the league but he can always do the right thing.

Unfortunately I think the best we'll get is "I apologize for my mistake, it was a source I trusted, I should have known to double check my source and I promise I will do better next time."

Yeah, it's one thing for your source to be wrong. It's a whole other thing to learn that your source deliberately lied to you, in order to use your credibility and reach to further their own agenda. Without regard for--and largely trashing--your aforementioned credibility. When a source is so clearly operating in bad faith, it should be a no-brainer to out them.

And requiring them to sign an NDA ( non disclosure agreement) when they eventually did give them the real numbers...

But they would not publicly correct the record:

League failure to correct misinformation

Reading that again I forgot how they refused to even acknowledge the possiblity that the leaks came from their own office (leading me to wonder if Pash was one of the leakers). The bit about leaking of McNally's identity (including his home address) reminds of just how low the league was willing to stoop during this screw-job.

So this comes out now once the damage has been done; draft pick lost and Brady missed four games, but the Pats are dominating.

Is this supposed to just give Mort, ESPN, and the supporters of the penalties a chance to redeem themselves as if they never believed Defamegate in the first place?

This is like you are in a bar and suckered punched the biggest guy there, but only succeeded in breaking your hand, while the guy you punched isn't injured at all, but does look pissed and he's about to tear into you.

Mort gets no love from me, but IMO on 1-100 scale of despicable behavior, what the NFL/Kensil did and bears responsibility for in this fabricated fiasco is a 100, and what Mort did is like a 30.

I can't get over how forgiving Florio was toward Mort in this post. He practically absolves him from any responsibility. I have ZERO animosity toward Mort for his original story. He wouldn't have been the first so called "insider" who was lied to and used by his source.

But the FACT is he never backed off his OP for almost 2 f#cking years, long after he knew full extent of the lies in his OP and the impact and damage of those lies caused.

I'm happy he seems to be recovering from his bout with cancer, but the fact is, he seems to have very little remorse in the huge part he played in the fiasco. In fact he goes out of his way to create excuses and wants people to feel sorry for the death threats he REPORTEDLY got from Pats fans. Just a poor attempt by him to try and deflect what is the REAL story here. And that story is NOT that he was lied to at the start, but that he went along with that lie well after he knew the truth. He is STILL one of the more despicable villains in this sorry saga, and should be treated as such.

I have been using visualization with modest success to help me achieve closure with this matter.

8p4uA.jpg

Sorry, Mort gets no kudos from me. He says all this after Brady has served his full BS suspension. It still took him months to delete the FALSE tweet and he never retracted it. **** that. I'm sorry about his cancer, and I'm glad he's OK, but that's a spineless pansy to do that.

"Let Ted Wells do his job"... what a ****ing copout. The NYJFL* gave the Patriots and Mort false info and he NEVER acknowledged it until now.

I wonder what changed because in August of 2015 he said...

In other words, THE TEAM THAT IS TRANSGRESSED AND THE FANBASE is the problem. Unreal. Sit down and GFY, Mort. Seriously.
163.gif

So this comes out now once the damage has been done; draft pick lost and Brady missed four games, but the Pats are dominating.

Is this supposed to just give Mort, ESPN, and the supporters of the penalties a chance to redeem themselves as if they never believed Defamegate in the first place?

This is like you are in a bar and suckered punched the biggest guy there, but only succeeded in breaking your hand, while the guy you punched isn't injured at all, but does look pissed and he's about to tear into you.

I know right....like since they realize now that the unjust punishment as had minimal effect this season (the missed draft pick aside, that's like missing 10 seasons of a possibly good player) now is the time that something pops in their dumbass heads and realize what a farce this entire thing was. Yeah thanks for waking up almost 2 years later. **** the lot of 'em.

Yeah, it's one thing for your source to be wrong. It's a whole other thing to learn that your source deliberately lied to you, in order to use your credibility and reach to further their own agenda. Without regard for--and largely trashing--your aforementioned credibility. When a source is so clearly operating in bad faith, it should be a no-brainer to out them.

This thing was messed up. It is possible that Mort's direct source was given false information. After all, the NFL used the same false PSI numbers in a letter to the Patriots.

Regardless of whether the original leak was malicious or a mistake, the failure to correct it and the refusal of allowing the Patriots is worse. It removes any chance of mitigating factors. It proves the NFL was willing to spend millions of dollars to lie and cheat to get the Patriots.

If Goodell gets fired for the domestic violence issues, I liken that to Al Capone going to prison for tax evasion.

This thing was messed up. It is possible that Mort's direct source was given false information. After all, the NFL used the same false PSI numbers in a letter to the Patriots.

Regardless of whether the original leak was malicious or a mistake, the failure to correct it and the refusal of allowing the Patriots is worse. It removes any chance of mitigating factors. It proves the NFL was willing to spend millions of dollars to lie and cheat to get the Patriots.

If Goodell gets fired for the domestic violence issues, I liken that to Al Capone going to prison for tax evasion.

The NFL is always quick to correct information if it is not to their benefit. The fact that this wasn't corrected proves the league intentionally misled the public and the Pats from the get go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST