PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade Sony Michel to LAR

As far as trades go, getting traded to LA to be the lead back on a SB contender is pretty good. Sony should be happy.

Getting Dame, JJ, & Stevenson three years in a row for a combined 3rd & 4th round picks is going to be awesome.

The Pats misused Sony his whole career here. He was supposed to be a 3rd down back in a Alvin Kamara type role. Instead they had to use him as an lead back, which tore him up.

If he is healthy it will be interesting to see how the Rams use him.

A 4th rd comp pick isn't horrible compensation for a RB in the last year of his rookie deal. Still Sony had/has a lot of talent that was not properly used here.
To be fair, he came out of college pretty torn up.

I wouldn't trade that 2018 championship for a 31st overall pick now... it was a fine pick, that he just got a fourth back in exchange for.

A very bizarre take. We didn't win in 2018 because of Sony. He ran behind Gronk and Develin and a great OLine. I think Blount would have run as well in the playoffs. Pats did not get a ring because Michel was drafted with a 1st round pick. Michel isn't a bad player, a 1st was just more crappy drafting from 2013-2019 until Wolf stopped the John Carroll trifecta from destroying the entire roster as foundation vets from 2009-2012 got older.

The Pats misused Sony his whole career here. He was supposed to be a 3rd down back in a Alvin Kamara type role. Instead they had to use him as an lead back, which tore him up.

A 4th rd comp pick isn't horrible compensation for a RB in the last year of his rookie deal. Still Sony had/has a lot of talent that was not properly used here.

Then a 1st rounder for a 3rd down situational back was a terrible decision out of the gate.

Maybe....we will see if all 3 Harris, Dre, and Bolden make it. Obviously Harris and Dre are safe just put them on as they are 2 of the 3 normal sized RBs we have as you put it. After Harris I could care less about size more interested in who's better. But we still have plenty of size.
Bolden shouldn’t count as a RB except for emergency. Hell last time we needed him
we signed a broken down Steven Jackson for the playoffs.
Now he is 6 years older and has a combined 37 carries since.
Not much more of a Rb than slater is a wr.

People literally just thought he wasn’t terrible, and were appreciative for what he did for us in the 18-2019 playoffs.

But yeah, that makes us think he’s Barry Sanders.

Well, there's that and the whole "Better than Chubb" thing, which is a damned sight more than "he wasn't terrible", but sure. We'll pretend that the honks didn't overrate Michel, so that we can bash the guy who's making an obviously hyperbolic statement.

A very bizarre take. We didn't win in 2018 because of Sony. He ran behind Gronk and Develin and a great OLine. I think Blount would have run as well in the playoffs. Pats did not get a ring because Michel was drafted with a 1st round pick. Michel isn't a bad player, a 1st was just more crappy drafting from 2013-2019 until Wolf stopped the John Carroll trifecta from destroying the entire roster as foundation vets from 2009-2012 got older.
Interesting take that a team that wins a Sb because of its running game didn’t win because of its running game.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. Michel couldn't catch the ball at the NFL level, so claiming misuse for him not being used as a 3rd down back, when the team already had James White, makes absolutely no sense at all.

Now, having pointed out that obvious hole in your position, it should be noted that people have been saying his receiving looks much better this year, and the Rams will give him every opportunity to prove that, so maybe he'll finally get to be the back you think he was supposed to be.

Now maybe half the board can stop pretending he is Barry Sanders 2.0.

I don't recall anyone ever suggesting he was Barry Sanders.. maybe now people can stop attacking and pooping all over him for not being the next Barry Sanders

Interesting take that a team that wins a Sb because of its running game didn’t win because of its running game.

Won't go into explaining the concept of value over replacement player to you, will go over your head. The run blocking on that team was incredible, massive running lanes galore. He looked bad the year after with Gronk and Develin gone.

This doesnt surprise me there were a few RB needy teams and we were clearly stacked and couldnt keep everyone. IMO I thought maybe he would be dealt to Atl or Rams where I think he will do well. I actually thought Atl might be the place and I guess 4th was maybe best we could do considering our leverage.

Well, there's that and the whole "Better than Chubb" thing, which is a damned sight more than "he wasn't terrible", but sure. We'll pretend that the honks didn't overrate Michel, so that we can bash the guy who's making an obviously hyperbolic statement.

The Sony one isn't as egregious as NKeal for a 1st with 18 better WRs after him. Never draft WR/RB/TE high if McDaniels was part of the eval. Just go non-CB on defense. Or OLine if Scar saw the kid.

If Sony played in every game in 2018 he would have ranked (roughly) 4th in the NFL in rushing. On a per game/snap average Sony was among the more talented RB’s in that size range who could also catch like a WR and who understood complex pass blocking schemes immediately exiting college.

Sony led the 2018 NFL postseason in yards, yards per game, yards per attempt and rushing TD’s… the idea that some scrub could have done that is fan speak.

From 2013-2019 they played in four Super Bowls and won 3 rings, the last time a team did that was the Patriots from 2001-2004. Patriots fans have a distorted view of “success.”

We are stacked at running back. They are dime a dozen. Better to trade Michel since he will be a free agent next year and replace him with the new guys who look great and will be cheaper

The Rams are a contender.

Goff was a turnover machine - 13 INT s and 7 Fumbles. Stafford is much better at ball security. The LA defense looks to be good again.

It makes sense if the Pats think Rham/JJ is just as good/better than Sony. Plus the real possibility of losing him after this season with free agency.

I do believe a full season of a healthy Sony is more valuable than a 4th round pick. Good luck to him. Without him we don't make that SB run.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back