PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats now betting favorites to land Delvin Cook (Update: Odds "Pretty High" He Signs With Jets)

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw a link on PFT that noted that the Pats have now become the betting favorites to sign Delvin Cook. It's neither here nor there, but I would like to come out in FULL favor of that idea. Not sure that's going to happen, for a lot of reasons, but IMHO adding Cook could have a more meaningful impact to the offense than a Hopkins signing and at just 2/3rds of the cost.

I think that while Hopkins is a very good receiver, he isn't an "explosive" one. Cooks is the very definition of an explosive player. Every time he touches the ball there is an opportunity for a "big play" (20+yds). I think we can ALL agree that this offense needs to be more explosive. There are other pluses as well. Lets list them

1. It would give the Pats two "#1 type RB's. It is a LONG season and you don't want to have the focus of your offense wearing down or dealing with injuries. Like it or not, we are going to be running the ball at least 45% of the time.

2. Position flexibility. Cook is a guy who can line up in the slot AND wide as well as in the backfield. It would be a lot more difficult to predict pass or run by our personnel groupings. BTW- there was a time when having 2 RB's in the backfield was the norm. It can give a defense a LOT of trouble with deceptive looks, especially if you QB is a good ball handler

3. You add depth to a position that uses up players

4. We've had a chance now to see what NOT having a good 3rd down back is like for a couple of seasons and it hasn't been pretty. Cooks is James White who can actually tote the rock at a high level. Very good hands and route running ability and a threat to break one every time he touches the ball. Have I mentioned "explosiveness" yet?

5. While 10 touches in a game would be a busy one for Hopkins. 15 touches/game for Cook would be routine and not cut into Rham's productivity. Just on touches alone Cooks would be more impactful.

6. AT 27, Cook is at the peak of his talents, not a guy on the wrong side of 30 hoping for one more good year

About the ONLY argument for not signing Cooks is that you HOPE you can get the same kind of explosiveness from Pierre Strong at a tenth the cost. But why bet on a "hope" when you can have a sure thing at a time where you can afford it.

When it was thought Alvin Kamara was on the trade block, I was all in on that for all the reasons listed here. Now we can grab a similar talent without giving up a single draft asset.

D Cook is toast. Let's hope the Pats pass on him. Not a situation like Hopkins.

Just saw a link on PFT that noted that the Pats have now become the betting favorites to sign Delvin Cook. It's neither here nor there, but I would like to come out if FULL favor of that idea. Not sure that's going to happen, for a lot of reasons, but IMHO adding Cook could have a more meaningful impact to the offense than a Hopkins signing and at just 2/3rds of the cost.

I think that while Hopkins is a very good receiver, he isn't an "explosive" one. Cooks is the very definition of an explosive player. Every time he touches the ball there is an opportunity for a "big play" (20+yds). I think we can ALL agree that this offense needs to be more explosive. There are other pluses as well. Lets list them

1. It would give the Pats two "#1 type RB's. It is a LONG season and you don't want to have the focus of your offense wearing down.

2. Position flexibility. Cook is a guy who can line up in the slot AND wide as well as in the backfield. It would be a lot more difficult to predict pass or run by our personnel groupings. BTW- there was a time when having 2 RB's in the backfield was the norm. It can give a defense a LOT of deceptive looks, especially if you QB is a good ball handler

4. We've had a chance now to see what NOT having a good 3rd down back is like for a couple of seasons and it hasn't been pretty. Cooks is James White who can actually tote the rock at a high level. Very good hands and route running ability and a threat to break one every time he touches the ball. Have I mentioned "explosiveness" yet?

5. While 10 touches in a game would be a busy one for Hopkins. 15 touches/game for Cook would be routine and not cut into Rham's productivity. Just on touches alone Cooks would be more impactful.

6. AT 27, Cook is at the peak of his talents, not a guy on the wrong side of 30 hoping for one more good year

About the ONLY argument for not signing Cooks is that you HOPE you can get the same kind of explosiveness from Pierre Strong at a tenth the cost. But why bet on a "hope" when you can have a sure thing.

When it was thought Alvin Kamara was on the trade block, I was all in on that for all the reasons listed here. Now we can grab a similar talent without giving up a single draft asset.
The statistics nerds will tell you that Cook had a major drop off last year and that he was one of the least efficient running backs in the league. They will, I won’t. Looked like he still had plenty of burst to me in 2022. Fowler did a recent poll of a group of coaches, GMs and scouts and Cook it was still ranked in the top 10 RB.

Pats were heavy betting favorites for Hopkins too.

Just saw a link on PFT that noted that the Pats have now become the betting favorites to sign Delvin Cook. It's neither here nor there, but I would like to come out in FULL favor of that idea. Not sure that's going to happen, for a lot of reasons, but IMHO adding Cook could have a more meaningful impact to the offense than a Hopkins signing and at just 2/3rds of the cost.

1. It would give the Pats two "#1 type RB's. It is a LONG season and you don't want to have the focus of your offense wearing down or dealing with injuries. Like it or not, we are going to be running the ball at least 45% of the time.

2. Position flexibility. Cook is a guy who can line up in the slot AND wide as well as in the backfield. It would be a lot more difficult to predict pass or run by our personnel groupings. BTW- there was a time when having 2 RB's in the backfield was the norm. It can give a defense a LOT of trouble with deceptive looks, especially if you QB is a good ball handler

About the ONLY argument for not signing Cooks is that you HOPE you can get the same kind of explosiveness from Pierre Strong at a tenth the cost. But why bet on a "hope" when you can have a sure thing at a time where you can afford it.

reminds me of 2015 Blount/Lewis before both got injured.

Positional flexibility.
Explosiveness.
Those are the 2 things that stand out if Bill pulls the trigger on this. Which is a longshot imo.
Cooks can catch but Rham is also fast becoming a solid receiver.
You can have both of em in the backfield and no defense is going to know if it's run or pass or which rb is getting the ball.
I'll add a third dimension,Ken...blocking!
Besides the other advantages of both rbs in at the same time as I mentioned and you before me, that also provides extra blocking. Since we don't know if Brown is going to be a useless pile of blubber like most of last season or return to the quality lt we've seen before plus neither of our tes are noted for their blocking prowess, having 2 rbs in the backfield would seem to help the situation.
I'd love to see it but not counting on it.

Pats aren't paying him. He'll probably end up in KC or Buffalo.

If he's 2/3rds the cost this is insane. He's worth a shot for like $3M with escalators maxing out at $6M.

Pats drafted Strong and Harris. They should play them. It's not a good use of resources to pay Cook at this point.

I don't know what Miami is thinking not signing him. Shanahan realized you can't have pedestrian's in the backfield so you'd think McDaniel would do the same thing.

Pats drafted Strong and Harris. They should play them. It's not a good use of resources to pay Cook at this point.

I don't know what Miami is thinking not signing him. Shanahan realized you can't have pedestrian's in the backfield so you'd think McDaniel would do the same thing.

Yep, ironically he's the perfect guy for last year's bootstrapped offensive system.

I'm all for signing him but everything around here is overshadowed by Team Bill spin like this absurd OP. He will not impact an offense in any shape or form like a #1 receiver. He'd be good to have on a lower end contract and it's all about the price.

The statistics nerds will tell you that Cook had a major drop off last year and that he was one of the least efficient running backs in the league. They will, I won’t.

And after that drop off starts, for NFL RBs, it gets really ugly fast. No thank you. Let the young RB guys, like Strong and Harris, take the extra carries. Name recognition is not important for RBs.

RB Kareen Hunt seems like a Patriot in the making. I bet we are odds on to land him like D-Hop. :rolleyes:

Yes, we signed Strong and Harris.

THEREFORE, the patriots are all set at RB with our three top RB's:. NOT!

OK, I guess all it takes to be a success at RB for the patriots is to be drafted.

To depend on both Strong and Harris seems incredibly optimistic. We needed a RB. We took a shot on Robinson. NOW, we need a RB again.
==========
TO BE CLEAR
If Stevenson is every down for a game, we would have among the very worst RB's groups among competing teams. That is NOT acceptable.

YEARTEAMREC
2021Minnesota Vikings34
2020Minnesota Vikings44
2019Minnesota Vikings53
2018Minnesota Vikings40

Mondre' and Cook in the backfield...first down play action running Mondre into the line and quick tossing to Cook ala James White....sound familiar? two TE's with good hands and a good WR in the slot...threaten the defense with speed from the WR position but essentially make this offense a grind it out operation with a PREMIUM on low turnovers from the QB position. Seems like this is what they have planned, if indeed this "report" is accurate. I think O'B wants to determine if Mac has what it takes to run a ball control offense...and then build on that going forward. If he can't then we're looking for a new QB IMO. It's been 2 years and I STILL don't know what this kid's ceiling is.

If he's 2/3rds the cost this is insane. He's worth a shot for like $3M with escalators maxing out at $6M.
Not sure I understand. My 2/3rds comment was based on the $15MM everyone would have been thrilled to give Hopkins. Cook is looking for $10MM from what I understand. Assuming any deal would include a reasonable incentive package, I'd be more than willing to guarantee him $6MM with another 3 that would mostly be roster bonuses, and another Million in yardage, team, and performance stuff. Most of it would be there if he's simply healthy for most of the year.

He'd could have done better than what your offering with the Vikes. That is some serious low balling Ice

Pass, what’s the point what’s he realistically going to do to compete for the division? Hopkins would have put every other WR in their correct slot which would have made a difference in the offense.

If he's willing to take less (he may not have a choice) on a one year "show me" deal then yes, he may join the Pats.

Most other teams have their rosters set, nobody is likely to give out a max deal for a RB now.

Not sure I understand. My 2/3rds comment was based on the $15MM everyone would have been thrilled to give Hopkins. Cook is looking for $10MM from what I understand. Assuming any deal would include a reasonable incentive package, I'd be more than willing to guarantee him $6MM with another 3 that would mostly be roster bonuses, and another Million in yardage, team, and performance stuff. Most of it would be there if he's simply healthy for most of the year.

He'd could have done better than what your offering with the Vikes. That is some serious low balling Ice

He was set to make $11M and the Vikings took the cap hit and released him. He may want $10M but realistically he'll be lucky to get $7.5. 6.3M is the current 2023 high bar for running backs.

I am not sure if he is the answer. On the other hand, I wish we signed another offensive weapon regardless of position.
(There's not a lot of impactful guys available right now)

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back