PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats have engaged in TRADE TALKS for Isaiah Wynn

I don't see a huge trade value for his contract . Hence it's sunk cost for now .
If we trade him we are not gonna find someone comparable . At least we can be sure that he will protect Mac to a better extent than the other folks on the roster outside of the starters.

Saving 10 million for a 6th round trade pick is useless. If we get a 3rd rounder and someone to absorb the entire contract we can discuss, else better to roll with Wynn .

3-4 games was minimal expectation. I hope he will suit up for at least 50% games. He might end up performing like a 5 million guy . Since this is his prove it year, to get an extension or next big contract he would need to perform . So more likely than not we can expect good play from him . Similar to agholor.
Hes not worth $10m for 8 games. You pay for reliability and acceptable performance- not an enigma. It's not like Winn is Gronk where you are paying a premium because he changes games when hes on the field. When he can't go you accept that risk because hes so good. That ain't Wynn.

You trade him for a 5th and 1/2 his salary and you now save $5m on the cap. You then find someone who is reliable and can keep Mac's jersey clean.

With that said I agree. He should only be traded if a) he doesn't want to be here and/or b) Someone will play 90% of the games and give you the same performance at 1/2 the cost.

Last edited:
Yeah such as we might have to pay half of that $11Mill salary.
That depends on who they trade him to, a team could eat most of that and the trade return would be less... see Shaq Mason for example.

A team could eat less of it and the draft pick would be better.

It depends if the team we're trading him to is cash rich or pays with a draft pick.

Hes not worth $10m for 8 games. You pay for reliability and acceptable performance- not an enigma. It's not like Winn is Gronk where you are paying a premium because he changes games when hes on the field. When he can't go you accept that risk because hes so good. That ain't Wynn.

You trade him for a 5th and 1/2 his salary and you now save $5m on the cap. You then find someone who is reliable and can keep Mac's jersey clean.

With that said I agree. He should only be traded if a) he doesn't want to be here and/or b) Someone will play 90% of the games and give you the same performance at 1/2 the cost.
Finding someone who can provide what Wynn provides at 5 million dollars is a tough ask... Let's just hope he has his best season ever this year and gets a great payday with another team next year.

Long overdue.

Wynn never lived up to draft hype.

Agreed. And he will not live up to $10+M a year contract in 2022. OK, we got that off our chests. Now:
  1. Would we prefer Cajuste at RT? Run blocking - not a chance. If you do not understand this, ......... Pass blocking - maybe, but at RT (versus LT) the pass blocking will be easier, so maybe Wynn will be OK.
  2. We can start Cajuste next year on the last year of his rookie contract after Wynn is gone.
  3. If we trade Wynn, who is going to step in when Brown and Cajuste are injured (they have both been injured to some degree for 3 years straight)? Onwenu will move to RT? Now you have a hole at RG. Moving a lot of pieces and taking a lot of risk. What do we do when one of the moving pieces is injured? Nothing - we are fecked with Ferentz.
  4. The fact that Ferentz will appear sooner rather than later with less depth should scare ANYONE into keeping Wynn.
  5. You can hope that Russy is amazing in his rookie year (unlikely - but I think he is a great longer term lineman), Hambright is going to emerge (unlikely), Desjardin will make the CFL to NFL jump seamlessly (how often does that happen - HINT - very very rarely).
  6. We have very few backup options - like every other NFL team. Remember when the Chiefs lost the SB because the OL backups were atrocious? Yeah having top notch OL backups are almost impossible.
  7. Did you see who is competing for a starting OT spot on the Raiders? One of @captain stone favorites, Jermaine Eluemunor on Las Vegas Raiders OL Maturity. We should feel very lucky to have Wynn (even though he is WAY overpaid).

Last edited:
Seems like highly drafted Georgia offensive linemen have disappointed since Kirby got there.

That depends on who they trade him to, a team could eat most of that and the trade return would be less... see Shaq Mason for example.

A team could eat less of it and the draft pick would be better.

It depends if the team we're trading him to is cash rich or pays with a draft pick.
I miss Shaq Mason. Already.

Saving 10 million for a 6th round trade pick is useless. If we get a 3rd rounder and someone to absorb the entire contract we can discuss, else better to roll with Wynn .
I can think of about 9.5 million reasons why the Patriots would trade Wynn for a not so great draft pick.

"If the Patriots were to trade Isaiah Wynn as previously reported, the team would save $9.518 million in cap space."

article: Potential landing spots and trade packages for Patriots OT Isaiah Wynn

I hope I’m wrong but they’re not getting a mid-round pick for a slightly above average OL with injury issues and a $10m + cap hit. And I doubt BB is eating money.

Seems like highly drafted Georgia offensive linemen have disappointed since Kirby got there.
Andrew Thomas has been great after a slow start. He looks like a future top 5 tackle with a little luck. I believe Kindley has been solid. Cleveland was up & down but looks promising. If Wynn has been above average when healthy.

You could probably say the same about Bama if you wanted. Really making it in the league is tough for many reasons. Some obvious some not but it's a brutal sport and league. One is coaching. NFL coaches really aren't focused on development unless you're really showing something. You'll have a ton of people willing and that can help you in HS and college. Pats have 10 coaches they're worried about install, acclamation and putting a picture together. Not much time for projects or slow starters.

They have to regret picking up his 5th year option, hoping he would become a team leader representative of his draft status and pedigree.

Instead he has done the bare minimum and doesn't show for voluntary things and comes into training camps needing to get in football shape each summer.

I'd absolutely trade him and be willing to eat some salary to improve the draft pick we get back.

Agreed. And he will not live up to $10+M a year contract in 2022. OK, we got that off our chests. Now:
  1. Would we prefer Cajuste at RT? Run blocking - not a chance. If you do not understand this, ......... Pass blocking - maybe, but at RT (versus LT) the pass blocking will be easier, so maybe Wynn will be OK.
  2. We can start Cajuste next year on the last year of his rookie contract after Wynn is gone.
  3. If we trade Wynn, who is going to step in when Brown and Cajuste are injured (they have both been injured to some degree for 3 years straight)? Onwenu will move to RT? Now you have a hole at RG. Moving a lot of pieces and taking a lot of risk. What do we do when one of the moving pieces is injured? Nothing - we are fecked with Ferentz.
  4. The fact that Ferentz will appear sooner rather than later with less depth should scare ANYONE into keeping Wynn.
  5. You can hope that Russy is amazing in his rookie year (unlikely - but I think he is a great longer term lineman), Hambright is going to emerge (unlikely), Desjardin will make the CFL to NFL jump seamlessly (how often does that happen - HINT - very very rarely).
  6. We have very few backup options - like every other NFL team. Remember when the Chiefs lost the SB because the OL backups were atrocious? Yeah having top notch OL backups are almost impossible.
  7. Did you see who is competing for a starting OT spot on the Raiders? One of @captain stone favorites, Jermaine Eluemunor on Las Vegas Raiders OL Maturity. We should feel very lucky to have Wynn (even though he is WAY overpaid).
Have you watched Cajustes 81 career snaps? There is nothing to possibly conclude he is any where near as good a pass blocker as Wynn. In fact he was benched for almost getting the qb killled and only allowed on the field for 2 more snaps in garbage time in the next 3 months. The worst you could call Wynn is average, the best you could call Cajuste is awful so far but hopefully he will improve.

By next Tuesday evening 8/30 teams must be at 53 players.

The other NFL teams will likely wait it out rather than spend a nickel of draft capital on Wynn.

IIRC, Wynn gave up the most QB - pressures, sacks, hits of all NE OL.

Wynn has had up-and-down play since joining the Pats as a 1st round pick by Belichick in 2018. He allowed 28 QB pressures and six sacks last season with a pass block grade in the low 70s, per
@PFF

Depends on the player. Some are driven. Some are not.

Of course, but there have never been any negative reports about his work ethic, only his injury issues.

The Bucs don't need a tackle. They need another guard.
I've always wanted to see Wynn at LG. Given his size that has always seem the better spot for him.

LG is the biggest need for the Bucs so if he could make the change that would work.

But at this point I think a bag chips would be great for Wynn if it means getting his cap hit off the books

It could also be worth it for the Pats to give up a pick for another team to get the cap savings.

Like trade a 5th plus Wynn for a 6th.

Wynn is not needed but his cap savings is

Last edited:
Of course, but there have never been any negative reports about his work ethic, only his injury issues.
He didn't show up to OTAs. That could mean multiple things including one of them a lack of commitment to improve.

They have to regret picking up his 5th year option, hoping he would become a team leader representative of his draft status and pedigree.

Instead he has done the bare minimum and doesn't show for voluntary things and comes into training camps needing to get in football shape each summer.

I'd absolutely trade him and be willing to eat some salary to improve the draft pick we get back.
You can’t build a roster under the assumption you have a solution at OT ( or any position) until you have a solution at OT.

Typically when BB has a position to fill he’ll draft somebody, bring in a value vet and possibly another UDFA or vet. It’s hard to find UDFA offensive tackles, they mostly don’t exist.

If they feel they have enough depth to trade Wynn and recoup 2/3rds of his cap debt they won’t regret it. If he stays healthy and plays they won’t regret it unless he completely falls apart.

Last year the entire line played poorly for the first third of the season. These were execution issues; missed blocking assignments, false starts, holding penalties. Personally he had his worst season playing but he has been consistently good prior to that when healthy.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back