PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP Day 9 Training Camp Thread- Friday August 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe - the Pats would probably release him and let him pick where he goes as a courtesy. But an accurate kicker who has proven that he can make the big kicks isn't all that common (which is why Nordin will have to absolutely win that job outright to push Folk off the roster). Some team will have a kicker get hurt, or will be unsatisfied with what they have, so maybe a low-round pick.
He was out of football for 2 years before we signed him, is 37 years old, doesn’t kickoff and does not have a strong leg.
Yes he had an accurate year last year but most of his kicks were pretty routine.
I mean what teams do you think would consider him an upgrade? How many teams have a guy who will not make the squad and is you with a strong leg? Thise are the kickers teams usually go after.
I can’t remember a 35+ yo kicker being traded for anything.

So how about that kicker? What an absolute diamond that guy appears to be.

He was out of football for 2 years before we signed him, is 37 years old, doesn’t kickoff and does not have a strong leg.
Yes he had an accurate year last year but most of his kicks were pretty routine.
I mean what teams do you think would consider him an upgrade? How many teams have a guy who will not make the squad and is you with a strong leg? Thise are the kickers teams usually go after.
I can’t remember a 35+ yo kicker being traded for anything.
Folk and a 6th for James Washington?

There is an impact on the cap, Folk’s $1.6 million would become dead money and count against the cap as would Nordin’s rookie deal which would be the net cap impact.

Usually, there’s offset language and Folk has an incentive to kick for another team to extend his career even though Folk would essentially be doing it for nothing. The Pats would get a credit in their 2022 cap for whatever he was paid by his new team which would most likely be the vet minimum.

Folk’s guarantee should not act as a disincentive to cut him and keep Nordin if they thought he was up to the job and too good to lose to waivers. Whatever is lost would be more than gained back by Nordin’s 2nd and 3rd year salaries being significantly less than what a veteran kicker would cost them for those two years.

Folk's salary counts the same against the cap whether it is dead money or live money. It is already spent, if he is cut or is kept.

Yes, perhaps there's offset language but that's not going to be a factor in the team's decision on which kicker to keep. Money just isn't in play on this one.

Nordin is an UDFA and will thus be a minimum salary It doesn't matter if it is him or another rookie, minimum salary guy filling one of those minimum salary slots. The team's cap won't change.

The sad thing about Mac not starting is that, unlike many other QBs, there isn't much he can do to improve from the bench. Yes, he needs to learn the system and all that better no doubt, but he is already pro ready. He can improve himself physically i suppose, but that isn't his game anyway. He has succeeded against the highest levels of college competition in a pro style offense. The only question is, can he do it at NFL speed with tight windows? No amount of sitting on the bench and readying will answer that question. No amount or preparation will improve him in that area.

By the time TC ends, the only thing left to do will be to throw him in the deep end and see if he sinks or swims. Nothing else much they can do with him by that point will change the calculus one way or another.

i think bb is going to be very methodical and pragmatic with the qb decision because as we all know....once you go mac you never go back.
That is hilarious! HAHAHAHAHA, lets go mac and not go back to cam!

Bailey was a 5th round selection and as I recall Zoltan was on the last year of his contract which wasn't guaranteed. So no precedent.

I don't get why everyone thinks Nordin won't make practice squad. Because he went 10 for 10 in a walk though and has a strong leg?

Nordin went undrafted and Nick Folk will have beaten him out. I know Buffalo stole the punter a few years back (and he's still meh), but almost every team has a decent FG kicker. Why would there be a stampede for Nordin?
This STAMPEDE only requires ONE of 31 horses to either be interested or have a player injured

low bar IMO.

That's just it, though. Pretty much everyone but Zolack and Bedard was saying that Newton's looked improved and more consistent, and that Mac's not been able to even keep pace, much less gain ground. Now, after just the last two practices, the narrative has shifted. But we're still just one practice away from a bunch of reporters flipping right back to "Cam's the starter!".

Are the reporters just out of practice? Are they just displaying their ignorance about the game? Or are they jumping on things that suit their biases and agendas? I leave that for everyone to determine for themselves.
I don't really know what the others have been saying, but that's certainly not been Bedard's line. He's felt Jones has been competitive since Day One and that Cam, while improved, is still Cam.

There is an impact on the cap, Folk’s $1.6 million would become dead money and count against the cap as would Nordin’s rookie deal which would be the net cap impact.

Usually, there’s offset language and Folk has an incentive to kick for another team to extend his career even though Folk would essentially be doing it for nothing. The Pats would get a credit in their 2022 cap for whatever he was paid by his new team which would most likely be the vet minimum.

Folk’s guarantee should not act as a disincentive to cut him and keep Nordin if they thought he was up to the job and too good to lose to waivers. Whatever is lost would be more than gained back by Nordin’s 2nd and 3rd year salaries being significantly less than what a veteran kicker would cost them for those two years.
Nordin's rookie deal wouldn't be in the top 51.

tough break

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Damn I was excited to see what he could do he was reminding me from reports as being like a Roman Phifer kind of player for us.
Ok Winovich now is your chance.
Want to add liked him coming out of the draft.
Hopefully he stays with us next year.

A lot more concerned about the run defense with McMillan out. I'm not a fan of Bentley, the guy is always chasing guys from behind and not stout against the run.

A lot more concerned about the run defense with McMillan out. I'm not a fan of Bentley, the guy is always chasing guys from behind and not stout against the run.
McMillan was brought in as competition for Bentley, no doubt about that. That said, I’ve read from a reporter (forget who it was) that Bentley looks like the most improved player in camp so far this year, which would bode very well if it holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back