PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP Day 9 Training Camp Thread- Friday August 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a hard time finding some passing numbers for Cam and Mac yesterday

For those that scoff at the "Foxboro Flu" as non-existent - this is what we mean - this type of meniscus surgery has a 4-5 week recovery time, but instead the team places him on IR keeping his rights for another year, but not having to waste a roster spot or return designation on him.

THAT'S what we mean about the Foxboro flu, not that they make up injuries...but that they stash players with injuries that COULD return (short surgery and rehab time) during a given season on IR.

This is a correct post. Sometimes it works out, especially with younger players and they are happy to rehab and stick around. Others, usually older guys like Demaryius Thomas end up with an injury settlement so they can have an opportunity to play elsewhere when healthy in a few weeks.

For those that scoff at the "Foxboro Flu" as non-existent - this is what we mean - this type of meniscus surgery has a 4-5 week recovery time, but instead the team places him on IR keeping his rights for another year, but not having to waste a roster spot or return designation on him.

THAT'S what we mean about the Foxboro flu, not that they make up injuries...but that they stash players with injuries that COULD return (short surgery and rehab time) during a given season on IR.
Every team does that

Having a hard time finding some passing numbers for Cam and Mac yesterday
That's because it was a half speed walk through

"In the lousy weather yesterday (ordered directly by Bill Belichick), Newton was 9 of 17 with two drops and Jones was 19 of 25 with two drops."...but their wasnt lousy weather in the stadium Friday night. So these numbers might be garbage.

Roughly accumulated through 9 days of camp...

Cam Newton: 70/120 (58%), 5 INTs, 7 drops
Mac Jones: 97/153 (63%), 2 INTs, 8 drops

Last edited:
All that means is we should probably find a more generic name for it than "Foxboro flu".

For those who don’t know….for instance, the regulars in the Brady Section who are waiting for this shirt to arrive in the mail

1628427199836.jpg….the “Foxboro Flu” is a joke based upon the “Hellenic Flu” of the 80s Celtics. In that era, the Celtics practiced at Hellenic College and players would sometimes experience “fortunate“, well-timed minor injuries or ailments, which would either allow veterans to get some much-needed rest or would allow them to avoid exposing a young player, or veteran, to waivers.

All that means is we should probably find a more generic name for it than "Foxboro flu".
The term is called "Roster Stashing".

"In the lousy weather yesterday (ordered directly by Bill Belichick), Newton was 9 of 17 with two drops and Jones was 19 of 25 with two drops."

Roughly accumulated through 9 days of camp...

Cam Newton: 70/120 (58%), 5 INTs, 7 drops
Mac Jones: 97/153 (63%), 2 INTs, 8 drops
Curious to see how Mac does in preseason in terms of ypa, ypc and yac for the receivers compared to Cam.

For those who don’t know….for instance, the regulars in the Brady Section who are waiting for this shirt to arrive in the mail

View attachment 34476….the “Foxboro Flu” is a joke based upon the “Hellenic Flu” of the 80s Celtics. In that era, the Celtics practiced at Hellenic College and players would sometimes experience “fortunate“, well-timed minor injuries or ailments, which would either allow veterans to get some much-needed rest or would allow them to avoid exposing a young player, or veteran, to waivers.
Yeah, the reason I didn't know that is because I wasn't born yet in the 80s, not because I wear that monstrosity of a jersey.

Curious to see how Mac does in preseason in terms of ypa, ypc and yac for the receivers compared to Cam.
I'd imagine that YAC should be higher then Cam's due to being more accurate and therefor easier for the WR to catch the ball without making adjustments. Will be interesting to see how all those numbers shake out.

With a month of more intensive training coming up, wouldn't it be a little early for this? TE is an oft-injured position - for the Pats to do this must mean they thought LaCosse or Fumigali was also ahead of Keene and ready to step in if Henry, Smith, or Asiasi get hurt.

I wouldn't be surprised if Keene gets an injury settlement and tries to catch on somewhere else. I don't think he's got a chance of making the roster next year, as Henry, Smith, and Asiasi will all still be here,

4-5 weeks put Keene into the regular season and perhaps not until midseason. What chance does he have coming on the team and contributing without benefit of any meaningful training camp? None.

In this situation IR protects the player more than the team. Keene is much better off still being on the team that drafted him, rather than cut loose in an injury settlement. Perhaps they even gave Keene the choice.

History says that the Patriots will likely not ever benefit from a third year player who hasn't been able to get on the field. But for now Keene is on a team and remains relevant.

View attachment 34476….the “Foxboro Flu” is a joke based upon the “Hellenic Flu” of the 80s Celtics. In that era, the Celtics practiced at Hellenic College and players would sometimes experience “fortunate“, well-timed minor injuries or ailments, which would either allow veterans to get some much-needed rest or would allow them to avoid exposing a young player, or veteran, to waivers.
I feel this is more then a few of the posters on this board. I’m not dropping any names.
You know who you all are.

Sucks for Raekwon but it will save the board from having to read my corny Wu Tang jokes all year.

Back to Shaolin with you, Chef.

"The Patriots will be off Saturday before returning to their usual practice field Sunday afternoon. That practice is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. ET and will be open to the public."

Last edited:
Why is it worrisome? 24million of Henry's deal is guaranteed. he's going nowhere.
I'm not worried he's going anywhere - I'm (only somewhat) worried about the lack of impact Henry has had so far, according to many reports. Smith has showed up immediately, and seems to have developed quick chemistry with Cam and Mac, but I keep hearing Henry is often invisible. So, I'd hate to see this overrated and overpaid player not produce as much as, say - LaCosse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes