PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Trade For Indy TE Dwayne Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now we upgraded from 1 injury prone TE to having 2 injuries prone TE. I don't like this move at all especially since this year draft is full of them.

What is it about Grissom makes you think he's a serviceable back-up at DE?

Him ending up on 46 roster is a hint.
Most ST players BB keeps on the roster he sees as serviceable backups.
Some might not like it but he felt the same about Blount etc.

Don't worry. There are plenty of options out there to make this position even stronger than last year. The emergence of Flowers made me very calm about it. Amazing draft class at the position helps as well..

Maybe this are your priorities.

It seems very clear Pats saw TE as #1 priority.

The first - and only - two new players signed are TEs.

I don't think it was as much about their priorities as it was timing and availability, if it had been a DE/OLB the Patriots wanted and the price was right they would have moved on that. They know their needs and take the best opportunities to fill them where they can. In this case they got Allen for almost nothing, and the value is off the charts on this deal. TE was clearly going to be a need and a great opportunity was there so they filled it.

It seems very clear Pats saw TE as #1 priority.
It's what they could get but DE is a HUGE issue and will get a **** ton of attention. We have Flowers, an aging Ninkovich and that's it. Sheard will be gone, Long is gone. DE will be a total rebuild other than Flowers with Ninkovich heading into his contract year. I would argue that in addition to Allen happening to be available, this simply clears the path for the upcoming defense rebuild.

I think Ninkovich is a back up rotational player from here on out. They need help on the DL big time. Branch would be a great start but I doubt Sheard returns. They are going to need at least two DE type players and another interior DL if they re-sign Branch. Overall they will have some serious holes to fill if they lose Branch and Hightower, but I'm hopeful that won't happen. If they can keep both and Harmon then they will be in much much better shape, and really can fill the remaining holes on defense in the draft.

I am not going to play BB here. All I can tell you is I feel calm about DL.

Branch will be back. Brown as Lombardi says can improve further. Valentine will make another step up (hopefully he keeps injuries away). Kilgo is intriguing back up option. Hamilton showed last season he can step in.

They had Odrick for a visit and he passed physical. They had official contacts with many great draft prospects. There will be solid options in FA or trade market from tomorrow and Pats have the money.

They needed 1 player, imho.. They got that by adding Allen. They also have Lengel and Williams, both of whom the Patriots like since they tendered both of them. If the Pats didn't like them, they'd have been gone. There could be a chance that the Pats use Williams the same way they use Fleming.. In their jumbo.. And yes, I could see the Pats rolling out a formation that puts Williams, Fleming, Allen, and Gronk on the field with White or Lewis in the backfield in a jumbo set..

However, they still need 2 DEs to replace Long and Sheard. They also need at least 1 CB and 1 S to replace Ryan and Harmon.. And yes, the replacements could be Ryan and Harmon. Some people also believe that Butler is gone because the Pats tendered him as a 1st rounder and didn't get a deal done. Personally, I believe Butler isn't going anywhere.

Durability is my concern.

CB is important but w Malcolm and Rowe I think they are OK. They need bodies but talent-wise they are set.

I think they are OK at S as DMC there. With the amt of nickel they play, Harmon was ~35% of the snaps. I thought it would have been more. With that said Richards is not the answer at all. A need for sure.

DE is up there with TE. If Trey goes down they are screwed as we really haven't seen him with a heavy 16 game workload yet. I'm not sure if he is a 90% of the snaps guy anyway and not sure we want him to anyway as he couple wear down. I expect at least 3 additions there via the draft and FA.

The Allen signing protects them from Gronk going down. They need the same kind of addition at DE.

They are all important. I guess with durability at DE and TE being a concern those positions top it for me over CB and FS.

Oh my god, I just learned about this. This is a prime, certified, Grade A Belichick masterpiece.

Not only do I LOVE the player and his prospects here (have liked Allen for a couple of years), but BB gave up almost nothing!! Like 40 spots down in the middle of a deep draft???

And not only THAT, but the contract is also extremely favorable and fits right into the Patriots money hierarchy!

AND it doesn't factor into the compensatory picks formula!!!

Jesus, it's days like today that make you appreciate not just BB the coach, but BB the GM. What an incredible job he does at every level...

Did the Patriots just acquire Daniel Graham?

Allen only has $1m dollars guaranteed after 2017 ($0.5m in 2018 & $0.5m in 2019) so won't cost a ton to cut him if it does not work out on the field this year. Possibly even restructure next year for more guaranteed money and lesser cap hit if things do work out.

No, he does not. There is no guaranteed money after the 2017 season.

Only think i dislike is that we are talking at all to those damn colts :mad:
I think it's okay to be talking to them, as long as the talk leads to fleecing them.

Allen: 57 games, 126 catches (2.2 per game) on 199 targets 63%, 11.5 yds per reception, 3 fumbles (0 lost)
Bennett: 135 games, 403 catches (2.9 per game) on 600 targets 67%, 10.6 yds per reception, 4 fumbles (1 lost)

By all accounts Allen is a better blocker. So anyone think that difference in production is worth a couple million in cap space?

I generally hate this kind of analysis because it ignores, role, offense, QB, etc., but I do agree with your overall point. Bennett is a better TE than Allen. Significantly better - if I was picking between them based purely on production, I would take Bennett every time and never think twice about it. But if it's going to take $9M per year to keep Bennett, I'll take Allen at $5M no question. It's a downgrade, but having an extra $4M to spend elsewhere should create a positive that far outweighs that negative. I was also a little wary of Bennett's presence on the locker room once he got a long term deal, so to be totally honest I'm a little relieved that won't be an issue.

I think this is where Belichick the coach makes it possible for Belichick the GM to excel. It doesn't mater where the talent is: give him talent in any unit, anywhere on the team, and he'll find a way to beat everyone else with it. If downgrading at TE leads to an upgrade at, say, center or DE or WR, then he'll be able to adapt the playbook accordingly to maximize what we have. Lots of teams--probably most teams--can't really do that.

He'll come here, become a star and then leave via free agency due to some team massively overpaying for him when he's 30.

Rinse and repeat LMAO

I think we need to calm down about DE. Flowers is a budding star, and Ninko will be servicable and steady. Grissom might be over looked. He's been very good on ST's, and started to get some snaps on D late. He certainly has the raw speed, and length and strength that you'd want in a DE. In fact in those areas he is ahead of Flowers, but Flowers has become a master of thchnique and gets the most of his assets. Grissom hasn't reached that point YET!

That being said we definitely need to add to our DE corp BOTH through FA and the draft. It's a LONG time before the next season starts, and we still have at least 40-45MM to spend on old/new toys. A LOT will happen over the next several months. Unfortunately for the nervous nellies, it is likely to happen later than sooner.

So if Bennett gets the Pats a #4 comp pick, the cost of having Martellus Bennett and Dwayne Allen on cheap contracts for four years, and two 6th round draft picks, was ONE 4th round draft pick.

And don't forget the Superbowl ring with three shots at more before Allen's contract is up.

This is a fantastic move by bb. I think Allen's blocking is better than Bennett and he can be serviceable as a receiver. But he should shine in the red zone as well.

This move virtually assures us of not drafting the clown tight end from Miami that tons of people were mocking to is at #32.

Now we can focus on resigning branch, and drafting two de/olb's,two defensive backs and an ilb with our first five picks.

Disagree all you want. Doesn't mean you are right.

Same to back to you, especially as none of your points about not drafting any tight ends make any sense. If one of the players they like is there late d2 or at d3 they will grab him without a question. You don't need to be an expert to see that.

I dont know, his injuries history worries me. Is he smart enough to know pats offense? I know everyone thinks that Gronk is stupid, but he is really smart and he learned and understand playbook really well. In the end probably they know what are they doing.

Listen i knew bennet was not gonna come back. Why not just draft one of these stud tight ends. Why waste 5 million dollars on a guy that has been pretty much a dissapointment. I guess bill thinks he can turn it around. I would be ecstatic if he can break 500 yards receiving. He hasn't done that in 5 years.
Probably cause bill b doesnt think these are stud tight ends. Oj howard is going way to early and then its a crap shoot. I mean think of all the stud tight ends that have been drafted in the last 10 years. We are left with gronk, eifert, kelce, graham.. who cant block worth a **** and olsen. Those are not good odds my friend. Better to get allen who can block.. and draft a big bodied receiver or someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back