PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Trade For Indy TE Dwayne Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an example of how Colts fans feel about him:

He thinks visiting Children's Hospitals is a BAD THING!

I'll be glad to welcome any player who gives his time to get in line at Children's Hospital.

Well, he's right that Allen has been injury prone. However, that could change for the better with the Patriots Staff..

He's wrong in that Allen fumbles a lot. 3 fumbles in his career on 126 receptions.

I would be curious to find out how many drops Allen has had over his career.

Not sure how TE was ever one of the Pats "TOP" needs. Not when you have issues at DE, CB, and S..

I see no big issues at positions you mention for 2017. They will sort themselves out without a problem. You can bank on it. Very calm about them.

I did however saw biggest need at TE position since I have no idea when Gronk comes back, in what capacity, for how long. Now I am at peace about this one as well.

Now Im only curious how LB plays out..

Last edited:
That's a lot of money for a blocker, I hope he can produce in the passing game because he's lacked in that area on a high powered Colts offense

Nice to know he's a great blocker, but I would imagine they expect more from him than just blocking.. Will be interesting to see how they fit him in at training camp and how he looks

While the Colts offense does run some 2TE sets, they don't run nearly what the Pats do. They run more 1 TE sets.. And before Ballard got there, they were run pretty badly both at the GM level and the Coach level.. Now it seems just the coach level..

So, before we go bashing Allen for not "producing" for the Colts, lets make sure we have some context..

Allen - 35 receptions, 406 yards and 6 TDs
Bennett - 55 receptions, 701 yards, 7 TDs

And remember that Bennett's numbers are kinda skewed because he became the #1 TE after Gronk went out.

The biggest loser in this trade?

Poor Doyle.

I see no big issues at positions you mention for 2017. They will sort themselves out without a problem. You can bank on it. Very calm about them.

I did however saw big need at TE position since I have no idea when Gronk comes back, in what capacity, for how long. Now I am at peace about this one as well.

You don't think they need another pass rusher? They will be losing some guys to free agency. I feel it's a big need. They have flowers and who else? Nink's already old. They need to get younger.

Incorrect. We just traded away our Seahawks (higher) pick.

The rule is we forfeit our highest 4th round pick. This is to stop us from acquiring a higher 4th round.

This was put in place after we picked Mayo at top of the draft (#10) in 2008 from a pick we acquired even though we were set to forfeit our own 1st round pick (#31)

Where are you getting your information that the Pats traded the Seattle pick?

As someone who followed Allen (Fantasy purposes...3 years running) his biggest knock other than health is consistentcy. He can have a incredible game one week and an absolute dud (complete with bad drops) the next.

How much that was due to his enviorment vs. Himself remains to be seen.

This is very much up Belichicks alley... Getting an underwhelming player from a opposing squad and renergizing him..playing to his strengths and building his confidence.

Sky's the limit with Allen here...if he can work hard and gain Brady's trust..he can be a solid contributor for years to come in every level of the offense.

You don't think they need another pass rusher? They will be losing some guys to free agency. I feel it's a big need. They have flowers and who else? Nink's already old. They need to get younger.

Talking about 2017. I see two very good healthy starters in Ninko and Flowers. I see two serviceable back ups in Grissom and McClellin (if need be). And Sheard's not even gone yet (probably will be but stranger things have happened).

That's a solid starting point in my book to enter FA and Draft. Plenty of options in both. And plenty of money.

It was up there IMO

2 TEs is a high priority in the Pats O scheme

Gronk oft injured.

Bennett unsignable

JAGs for backups.

They needed a player there

They needed 1 player, imho.. They got that by adding Allen. They also have Lengel and Williams, both of whom the Patriots like since they tendered both of them. If the Pats didn't like them, they'd have been gone. There could be a chance that the Pats use Williams the same way they use Fleming.. In their jumbo.. And yes, I could see the Pats rolling out a formation that puts Williams, Fleming, Allen, and Gronk on the field with White or Lewis in the backfield in a jumbo set..

However, they still need 2 DEs to replace Long and Sheard. They also need at least 1 CB and 1 S to replace Ryan and Harmon.. And yes, the replacements could be Ryan and Harmon. Some people also believe that Butler is gone because the Pats tendered him as a 1st rounder and didn't get a deal done. Personally, I believe Butler isn't going anywhere.

TE was definitely a major need I just thought they would go to the draft for one. Now that it's addressed they can take one if someone they really like falls to them, but otherwise can just focus on defense in the draft.

While the Colts offense does run some 2TE sets, they don't run nearly what the Pats do. They run more 1 TE sets.. And before Ballard got there, they were run pretty badly both at the GM level and the Coach level.. Now it seems just the coach level..

So, before we go bashing Allen for not "producing" for the Colts, lets make sure we have some context..

Allen - 35 receptions, 406 yards and 6 TDs
Bennett - 55 receptions, 701 yards, 7 TDs

And remember that Bennett's numbers are kinda skewed because he became the #1 TE after Gronk went out.

Bennett played 867 snaps (78%).

Allen played 611 snaps (56%).

And this is BB's economics background at work.

Marty had a Pro Bowl year in 2014, then had a rough 2015. While many wrote him off, BB saw an undervalued asset. Classic buy low.

Marty has a nice bounce back year. Now he is going to be more expensive. Sell high, reap a comp pick.

Meanwhile Dwayne Allen had a promising rookie year, but had been reduced to a blocker for a few seasons. Still, the Colts thought he was worth a big deal, and kept him over Fleener. But it didn't work out, they elevated Doyle, and Allen is now another undervalued asset. Again, classic buy low.

As someone who followed Allen (Fantasy purposes...3 years running) his biggest knock other than health is consistentcy. He can have a incredible game one week and an absolute dud (complete with bad drops) the next.

How much that was due to his enviorment vs. Himself remains to be seen.

This is very much up Belichicks alley... Getting an underwhelming player from a opposing squad and renergizing him..playing to his strengths and building his confidence.

Sky's the limit with Allen here...if he can work hard and gain Brady's trust..he can be a solid contributor for years to come in every level of the offense.

Agreed.
I liked Bennett and his contribution under difficult circumstances at the position.
I firmly believe Allen will produce in similar capacity - on the field that is;).
Just hope the circumstances (Gronk) will be better ..

Last edited:
It is one of our top needs along with those you mentioned. That's what "one of" means.

Hey Biff - Thanks for your two cents.. However, you don't seem to realize that all of those positions can't be "TOP" needs.. Unless you don't understand what "TOP".

It was never one of the Patriots "TOP" needs because it was behind DE, CB, LB, and S. Was it A need? Yep. TOP need? Nope..

Great post by a Colts board member lol

So my first question is clearly parity is not working against the Patriots, and two, what is Goodell going to do about it? The Patriots won the Superbowl, which means teams should be poaching their coaches and players, so there better be a whole lot of poaching, otherwise I say the Patriots are cheating. I don't know how, but they're cheating.

I did however saw biggest need at TE position since I have no idea when Gronk comes back, in what capacity, for how long. Now I am at peace about this one as well.

You see no issues with DE? The Pats currently only have Trey Flowers, Ninkovich, and Grissom.

You see no issue with CB? The Pats currently only have Cyrus Jones, Eric Howe, Justin Coleman and Jonathan Jones?

You see no issues at Safety where the Pats don't have a #3 who can play opposite McCourty and can spell Chung if need be?

Linebacker. They have Freeney (whom Belichick likes) coming back. They have Van Noy, McClellin, and Roberts. They have PS Trevor Bates. I would love to see Hightower back. Don't know who else would fit..

Sorry, LD. But saying "they will sort themselves out" just leaves me shaking my head.

With them tendering Lengel and Williams and trading for Allen, the TE position went from 5th on the list of area of need to a non-issue where adding someone would be a bonus..

Talking about 2017. I see two very good healthy starters in Ninko and Flowers. I see two serviceable back ups in Grissom and McClellin (if need be). And Sheard's not even gone yet (probably will be but stranger things have happened).

That's a solid starting point in my book to enter FA and Draft. Plenty of options in both. And plenty of money.

What is it about Grissom makes you think he's a serviceable back-up at DE?

Not sure how TE was ever one of the Pats "TOP" needs. Not when you have issues at DE, CB, and S..
You really think safety was more of a need than Tight end? With Bennett leaving, Gronk injury prone, we have nobody else...We had to address this position either via draft or trade. Just ridiculous not to.

They needed 1 player, imho.. They got that by adding Allen. They also have Lengel and Williams, both of whom the Patriots like since they tendered both of them. If the Pats didn't like them, they'd have been gone. There could be a chance that the Pats use Williams the same way they use Fleming.. In their jumbo.. And yes, I could see the Pats rolling out a formation that puts Williams, Fleming, Allen, and Gronk on the field with White or Lewis in the backfield in a jumbo set..

However, they still need 2 DEs to replace Long and Sheard. They also need at least 1 CB and 1 S to replace Ryan and Harmon.. And yes, the replacements could be Ryan and Harmon. Some people also believe that Butler is gone because the Pats tendered him as a 1st rounder and didn't get a deal done. Personally, I believe Butler isn't going anywhere.

Maybe this are your priorities.

It seems very clear Pats saw TE as #1 priority.

The first - and only - two new players signed are TEs.

I think Ninkovich is a back up rotational player from here on out. They need help on the DL big time. Branch would be a great start but I doubt Sheard returns. They are going to need at least two DE type players and another interior DL if they re-sign Branch. Overall they will have some serious holes to fill if they lose Branch and Hightower, but I'm hopeful that won't happen. If they can keep both and Harmon then they will be in much much better shape, and really can fill the remaining holes on defense in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents