PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Special Teams Report: Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Special Teams Report: Week 1

Here's a good article about new implications of kick return and the Pats making the best use of it.

Patriots Special Teams Report: Week 1 at Arizona Cardinals

I believe this will be an important issue throughout the season especially for NE.
It will also answer questions about BBs seemingly excessive ST investment.
And this is a great view on who's who @ST - that is sometimes impossible to catch on tv.

upload_2016-9-14_2-10-24.png

Here's a good article about new implications of kick return and the Pats making the best use of it.

Patriots Special Teams Report: Week 1 at Arizona Cardinals

I believe this will be an important issue throughout the season especially for NE.
It will also answer questions about BBs seemingly excessive ST investment.
And this is a great view on who's who @ST - that is sometimes impossible to catch on tv.

Screen-Shot-2016-09-13-at-9.24.42-AM.png

Last edited:
How could it reduce returns when the kicking team is more motivated than ever to make the opponent return it ? BB knows what he's doing. I've stopped being concerned with him paying so much importance on STs years ago.

This team seems particularly strong on STs. And I love it.

How could it reduce returns when the kicking team is more motivated than ever to make the opponent return it ?

It was the shallowest sort of thinking: "The return guy has to decide whether to take a kick out out of the endzone. This way he won't want to take it out!" No thought at all about the other team on the field making decisions too. :rolleyes:

It was the shallowest sort of thinking: "The return guy has to decide whether to take a kick out out of the endzone. This way he won't want to take it out!" No thought at all about the other team on the field making decisions too. :rolleyes:

But, it isn't so easy to loft the kickoffs and land them between the 1 and 5-8 yard line.

Of course the pats have Gost. Nuff said. BB always three steps ahead

But, it isn't so easy to loft the kickoffs and land them between the 1 and 5-8 yard line.

Of course the pats have Gost. Nuff said. BB always three steps ahead

This is definitely the right year to have an elite coverage unit, too...a fact which fans failed to take into account in projecting the roster. :oops:

I have a feeling that Jonathan Jones is going to make a game-changing play on ST coverage this year.

This is definitely the right year to have an elite coverage unit, too...a fact which fans failed to take into account in projecting the roster. :oops:

I have a feeling that Jonathan Jones is going to make a game-changing play on ST coverage this year.

What did chathams analysis highlight on him and another article too: Speed and a Nose for the Ball. Sounds like a DEADLY Slater-like combination --perfect for STs.

Way too early for anyone to say it, but he could be the heir to slater as ST captain. Last year I thought was going to be slater' start of his downfall (after his injury). I didn't think at his age he could come back (heal) with all his speed, but he still seems ok too.

Holy crap! This report is godly! Does that site do this every week? I freaking love this! I always have a hard time identifying who was on which special teams unit in the games. This is awesome! THanks!:D

He already did on the last Cards drive certified by BB himself.

Holy crap! This report is godly! Does that site do this every week? I freaking love this! I always have a hard time identifying who was on which special teams unit in the games. This is awesome! THanks!:D
Mike (not the author, the site owner) is a very cool dude. Used to post here on a semi-regular basis.

I Frickin' L-O-V-E the short pin KO strategy BB uncorked this week.

Surely BB had thought about using some variant of it in past seasons, but with touchbacks going to the 20yd, the tactical payoff vs risk obviously wasn't there. If not, it would have been tried already, and not just by BB. Then -wham- a rule falls from the sky... er.. skyscrapers of Park Ave, and BB must think it's a gift from heaven.

BB get's his no wasted play mantra granted, unleashes a superior ST unit more times and in higher leverage game situations, effectively un-nerfing them from the rule changes of the past couple seasons, use his top echelon kicker to make it all run, and stick it Goodell all at the same time. Oh yeah, and hopefully help win a game or two with it along the way!

Assuming the ball on average ends up on the 21-22yd line versus the 25yd line, from the above stats article, NE is saving .2 points per KO. 5 KO's a game, that's another (1.0) point BB chalks up before the game even starts!

PatsPropaganda is like an oasis in the desert of media speculations, projections, polls, bets, click-baits, tweets, raps etc. Only film review and analysis with clips and sketches to back it up.

In combination with this great forum, PatsPulpit plus maybe some Matt Chatham, Mike Reiss - and last but not least - the wonderful Miguel - one has plenty to enjoy and better understand the game, our team and BB.

Plus the two Patriots who have their guys beaten at the fifteen, just waiting to clean up if necessary.

This is tremendous graphic evidence of how BB's emphasis on special teams pays off.

BB get's his no wasted play mantra granted, unleashes a superior ST unit more times and in higher leverage game situations, effectively un-nerfing them from the rule changes of the past couple seasons, use his top echelon kicker to make it all run, and stick it Goodell all at the same time. Oh yeah, and hopefully help win a game or two with it along the way!

Since the Cardinals last drive started at the 8 yard line and they missed a 47 yard field goal, its seems quite plausible it already did help them win one game.:D

Plus the two Patriots who have their guys beaten at the fifteen, just waiting to clean up if necessary.

This is tremendous graphic evidence of how BB's emphasis on special teams pays off.
It's true, Belichick emphasizes special teams more than most but one only needs to look at this unit's dominat play to know the 2016 Pats are absolutely loaded.

I expect them to feast on this ill advised rule change all year long.

I found it interesting that Mingo (also in the other clip from the last KR coverage) stays a little behind as some sort of a back up. He starts at the middle position and then moves towards the side where the action is monitoring the situation. In that clip it is unreal how quick (after the first sprint and avoiding first blocks) he closes on a “crime scene“ from a somewhat distant position. If JJ would miss that difficult tackle Mingo was already there to finish it.

It is also noteworthy that most Ghost kicks went to the JJ side.

And we have another beast joining the party soon I guess - Eric Rowe.

Holy crap! This report is godly! Does that site do this every week? I freaking love this! I always have a hard time identifying who was on which special teams unit in the games. This is awesome! Thanks!:D

For those that are interested in Special Teams, he told me that they do indeed plan to do this analysis every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes