PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Showing Serious Interest in JuJu Smith-Schuster (Update: Done)

If you want to compare numbers look at YAC.
And yet, in a per game basis, they had basically the same production last year. With our offensive situation last year, I think Meyers season was much more impressive

Ironically, much of this matters very little if they don't significantly improve OT and overall OL play

Add Quentin Johnson in the draft and we good?

I’m starting to think that with the possession receivers they have that drafting Zay Flowers might make more sense. If Jones has a WR he can get rid of the ball instantly to it will give him a better chance of dealing with the pass rush, especially since he can turn it into big plays,

AB: 146 Games, 83 TDs, 607 1D, 13.2 Y/R, 84.2 Y/G, 66.0 Catch%
SS: 219 Games, 81 TDs, 648 1D, 14.3 Y/R, 67.3 Y/G, 59.0 Catch%

Antonio Brown was a better WR than Steve Smith.

Except that Smith did it longer. You can argue with yourself all you want, I don’t agree with you, and neither will the Hall.

I need to warm up to the concept of a grown man calling himself "JuJu."

I'm curious what @Patjew thinks.

On that note, all Jakobi has to do in his next 19 games is catch 170 passes for 2,000 yards and 21 TDs...and he'll be the equivalent of JJSS through 79 games.

That's doable, yes?

I don't mean to be down on Meyers - did not want to lose him and am not one to put him down. Was a great player for this team, great attitude, worked his butt off, for 4 years.

He is decidedly NOT the same player as JJSS.

And neither are being paid like an elite WR.
Jakobi was excellent for 4 years at about 7 mill.
Great return on the cost but he was a role player who filled the role in a workmanlike fashion. At 11 million a year you need skills that can make a difference. Juju has exhibited those skills.
Meyers at 4 years 7 mill > juju at 3/33 but
Meyers at 3/33 <<<< juju at 3/33

Patricia so wasted Thornton ...
I was tired of seeing him run 10 yards to the middle and useless ...
not schemed to be in the play at all ...
a 10 player offense ... 9 if Smith on the field at the same time.
WTF is Thornton contributing if used like that.

Patricia sucked worse than suck ... the abyss of suck.

images.jpg

If we pay more than Meyers it's a travesty. Meyers was known commodity and juju without a WR1 we don't know how he performs . He left Steelers because he was not that effective without a WR1. Chiefs had Kelce drawing double coverage .
We paid the same and got a better player who had produced more

I don’t think it’s an upgrade.

Meyers
14G 67 rec 96 tgt 804 yds 6 TD

Juju
16G 78 rec 101 tgt 933 yds 3 TD

Would be stats over 17G

Meyers
17G 81 rec 116 tgt 976 yds 7 TD

Juju
17G 82 rec 107 tgt 991 yds 3 TD

Very minimal difference between the two.

One did that playing for one of the worst offense in the league while being the focal point of the offense with one of the worst QB in the league while being coached by a defensive guy. The other played for the best offense in football behind Kelce while catching balls from the best QB in the league and coached by an offensive genius.
That's a weird thing to say though. "Number 1 guy in bad offense has similar production to number 2 guy in good offense." What conclusions are we supposed to draw there?

And yet, in a per game basis, they had basically the same production last year. With our offensive situation last year, I think Meyers season was much more impressive
What exactly are you looking at ... Schuster was one of the top receivers YAC in the NFL ...
Myers down the list a bit. It's apples and oranges here ... different roles ... O'Brien wants this ...
Myers I am sure will fit in nice in the Raiders offense ... apples and oranges.

I need to warm up to the concept of a grown man calling himself "JuJu."

I'm curious what @Patjew thinks.
Maybe he was named after the candy...
s-l500.jpg

Nice pickup Pats.

AFC East is taking things to the next level this year. Should be fun.

The pats system is known to be tough for new wide receivers. If juju flops the first year , it's on Bill . But if he outperforms with more than 900 yards a season and 5 TDs while allowing other receivers to also thrive , doff my hat to Bill.

In essence I am not seeing the upside Juju brings over Meyers whilst at least Meyers knows the system .

The risk that Juju underperforms in first year is much higher than what we could have had with Meyers a known commodity and one who has continuous progress all through the 4 years and could have potentially exploded this year like edelman. Unless they feel juju opens up the space for everyone else .

We are underrating Meyers like anything and overrating JSS based on the one season before injury when they had Antonio brown and laveon bell in prime.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back