PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Showing Serious Interest in JuJu Smith-Schuster (Update: Done)

I am judging players by what they produce on the field.
There is no “argument” to fit.
Of course when you ask me how I rate players and then why the why is going to support my ratings, because it how i arrived at them.
On that note, all Jakobi has to do in his next 19 games is catch 170 passes for 2,000 yards and 21 TDs...and he'll be the equivalent of JJSS through 79 games.

That's doable, yes?

I don't mean to be down on Meyers - did not want to lose him and am not one to put him down. Was a great player for this team, great attitude, worked his butt off, for 4 years.

He is decidedly NOT the same player as JJSS.

And neither are being paid like an elite WR.

Trade up to get him, and then I'm excited for 2023. Alternatively, trade down and take Zay and I'm intrigued.
Not that it means much but a few of the mocks Ive seen have QJ going shortly after the 14th pick. If his character is clean and hes not carrying a list of injury baggage, Id be pretty excited if they announced him with our selection.

Bledsoe put up great career numbers
No, he didn't. His career passer rating is 77.1 which ranks 45th among all QBs with at least a 1000 PA from 1993 to 2006. He's sandwiched between Stan Humphries and Jay Fielder.

Like the upgrade over Myers. They are probably drafting a wr and they are done. Likely in rounds 2 through 4.
I don’t think it’s an upgrade.

Meyers
14G 67 rec 96 tgt 804 yds 6 TD

Juju
16G 78 rec 101 tgt 933 yds 3 TD

Would be stats over 17G

Meyers
17G 81 rec 116 tgt 976 yds 7 TD

Juju
17G 82 rec 107 tgt 991 yds 3 TD

Very minimal difference between the two.

One did that playing for one of the worst offense in the league while being the focal point of the offense with one of the worst QB in the league while being coached by a defensive guy. The other played for the best offense in football behind Kelce while catching balls from the best QB in the league and coached by an offensive genius.

Stat wise Browns numbers are HoF worthy. His off the field issues could keep him out.

No, he didn't. His career passer rating is 77.1 which ranks 45th among all QBs with at least a 1000 PA from 1993 to 2006. He's sandwiched between Stan Humphries and Jay Fielder.
I assume you are not saying either one of those two are better QBs than Bledsoe but simply pointing out a statistical similarity?

Catches with his body too much. Not even close to being a talent you’d trade up for.

Ok, I've only seen him in a few games. Just seems like the closest thing to a sure thing, but maybe the OSU kid could be a good option which I think would be a trade down.

You think we have a legit chance beat out the Bills for the division?
I hear the Jets bandwagon is starting to rev up. Hop on while there is still room

Or it's Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is that the Pats targeted JuJu and went and got their guy with panic not figuring into it in the slightest.
Meyers biggest issue is that he only gains the amount of yards that the ball travels in the air. He is not elusive. JuJu has much better YAC.

On that note, all Jakobi has to do in his next 19 games is catch 170 passes for 2,000 yards and 21 TDs...and he'll be the equivalent of JJSS through 79 games.

That's doable, yes?

I don't mean to be down on Meyers - did not want to lose him and am not one to put him down. Was a great player for this team, great attitude, worked his butt off, for 4 years.

He is decidedly NOT the same player as JJSS.

And neither are being paid like an elite WR.
juju produce a lot when he played behind AB. Since then he is producing very close to what Meyers has been producing. In my opinion, it’s a slight upgrade. Juju is better after the catch but I think Meyers is better at getting open. I would have rewarded the homegrown guy.

I don’t think it’s an upgrade.

Meyers
14G 67 rec 96 tgt 804 yds 6 TD

Juju
16G 78 rec 101 tgt 933 yds 3 TD

Would be stats over 17G

Meyers
17G 81 rec 116 tgt 976 yds 7 TD

Juju
17G 82 rec 107 tgt 991 yds 3 TD

Very minimal difference between the two.

One did that playing for one of the worst offense in the league while being the focal point of the offense with one of the worst QB in the league while being coached by a defensive guy. The other played for the best offense in football behind Kelce while catching balls from the best QB in the league and coached by an offensive genius.
Too many nerds hung up on numbers ...
Which do not ..and never reflect a players effect on the others of that position.
Myers scared nobody ... good player ... but not one who demanded double coverage.
Numbers do not reflect the double coverage ... the coverages ... and most of all the new offense that will be implemented.
I measure players in all sports by do they make the others around them better ... Myers did not ... Schuster does.

Every year here members comment on what they have seen ... signing players who are all about the past ...
Not perfect ... and certainly a rough few years ... But I believe an attempt is being made to transform this offense ... we will soon see.

Which do not ..and never reflect a players effect on the others of that position.
Myers scared nobody ... good player ... but not one who demanded double coverage.
Numbers do not reflect the double coverage ... the coverages ... and most of all the new offense that will be implemented.
I measure players in all sports by do they make the others around them better ... Myers did not ... Schuster does.
If you want to compare numbers look at YAC.

Not a big upgrade over Meyers but def an upgrade. Now grab Gesicki and Hopkins.

I don’t think Juju scares anybody anymore either. Juju is not the same player he was 5 years ago.

JuJu's #s playing without a probable HoF QB (BRoth or Mah):

6rec 65yds 1TD in 1 game in 2020
31rec 390yds 3TDs in 10 games in 2019
9rec 143yds 1TD in 1 game in 2017

If you want to compare numbers look at YAC.

I don’t think Juju scares anybody anymore either. Juju is not the same player he was 5 years ago.
Not a Myers fan ... over rated and over paid now .. IMO ... we will see how the season plays out.
There are more moves to come ... especially after the draft when vets will be cut ...
I would rather be optimistic for now ... but there are tough teams to overcome ... it will be a long shot.
I would rather be optimistic for new faces ... the old faces ... were not up to the task.

Find a way to add another legit WR, spend a premium pick on a productive receiver, and call it good. Let ‘em all slug it out in camp. Maybe add a solid TE in there as well, and if Mac can’t improve with that, he’s not your guy.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back