PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots should absolutely pick a CB or OT at 14

two things i want to add about van ness
he lined up at 3T and 5T in run defense /pass rush situations and was involved in stunts etc. which makes him a great fit for our d-line imo.
He also blocked a punt and we all know how much BB loves ST

Van Ness is coming out after his sophomore year. Very rare. Huge upside as he matures and fills out more. Richard Seymour.

Mills is going to play safety, so currently they have the Jones trio at cornerback. You forgot Marcus.
the ideal case seems to be to move Mills to free safety and draft a CB in the first couple of rounds. But it could easily end up the other way with Mills staying at CB and drafting/trading for a safety.

the ideal case seems to be to move Mills to free safety and draft a CB in the first couple of rounds. But it could easily end up the other way with Mills staying at CB and drafting/trading for a safety.
My strong preference is for us to sign a veteran safety. We already have Phillips, Peppers, and Dugger as a solid three. Bledsoe could make the team only as a special teamer.

THOUGHTS
1) Peppers has played free safety before. I suspect that he has the skills to play the position.
2) There are safeties available.
3) We need Mills and Jones as corners. We have: Mills and the 3 Jones boys. plus backup Bryant. A draftee would give us a solid corps of corners.
It would be good not to have to count on Wade, or Bryant as anything but an emergency #6 corner and #2 punt returner.
==============
BOTTOM LINE
Belichick has been looking for a free agent safety. I hope that he finds one. We should realize that Bill has been very good at finding free agent veterans who can fit in to our system at safety.

Even if Greenhead returns to CB, we still need At Least One More Outside CB.
To be clear, you are saying that we need at LEAST on more outside corner to add to
Jack Jones, Jonathan Jones and Mills.

I agree, because I think that Jonathan should be our nickel back. Others have him playing FS, so again we need a top corner.
=============
I am very surprised that everyone seems fine with having Marcus Jones. Bryant and Wade as our nickel backs. For me, this is a HUGE weakness. We usually play one or even two nickels. A nickel back is a starter.

Latest Ringer NFL Draft pod episode is great for those of us who aren’t huge college FB fans and don’t watch All-22 tape (ie. the majority here) but who want to learn more about the top WRs in this year’s class. If you can get past the fact that Ben Solak is a 23-year-old nerdy math wiz and actually listen to him, you begin to realize that he is a brilliant dude who is knowledgable and very detailed in his analyses. Despite his age, I put him near the top of the current draftnik mountain.

He LOVES Zay Flowers. The Flowers discussion starts at the 45 minute mark. Definitely worth a listen. He may even make some Flowers skeptics rethink their position.

Solak’s two current comps (high end of his NFL potential) for Flowers are Waddle and Olave. He admits that Flowers does not have Waddle's rare burst/acceleration (matched only by Tyreek) but says that there are many plays that remind him of Waddle. Specifically mentions last year’s Louisville game, for those here who watch film (Flower’s went off to the tune of 5-151-2). Sign me up for another Olave or a poor man's Waddle.
Not as high on Addison. Likes him but doesn’t love him. JSN is his #1 WR.

Last edited:
If Richardson is available at our pick do we take a flyer on him?

two things i want to add about van ness
he lined up at 3T and 5T in run defense /pass rush situations and was involved in stunts etc. which makes him a great fit for our d-line imo.
He also blocked a punt and we all know how much BB loves ST
This. What Van Ness could do to help the defense is significant, esp on third down.

Uche could be lined up anywhere, with Judon and Van Ness at the ends. With their ears pined back.

That’s a formidable mix of speed and power.

It just seems that draft prognosticators just do not understand how valuable CBs are and continually undervalue them in their mock drafts. I hope that the Patriots do not make this mistake; I can just see them trading back from 14 and watching helplessly as there is a run on CBs and all their targets are gone; then they have to make a blah pick like a RB or S. In other words, another Patriots draft with no impact players and another failure with BB as the GM (he has already screwed up the FA period).

I predict that there will be a run on CBs even before the 14th pick and then again after the Patriots trade back. The Mock Drafts show 3 CBs gone before 14, but I suspect it will be more.

And note, I suspect that Jack Jones will not be a Patriot from much longer so the Patriots need to pick up a replacement and not get too cute with the trade-backs

Last edited:
Here's the thing. Our BIGGEST positional needs at this moment are clearly CB and OT. BUT.... while both positions are fairly deep in "good" talent, they are very THIN in what might be considered "elite"/can't miss talent. I think that at least both the top 2 OT's and CB's WILL be gone before the Pats pick at #14, so unless someone drops a trade down (as usual) looks to be likely. (hopefully to add an additional 2nd)

However there has been a number of you you who have mentioned Van Ness, and I'm kind of split on this since we were very good off the edge last year with Judon, Uche, and Wise. But the fact is that good CB's WR's are more available simply because of their size, there are more of them. And because of their size, there are simply FEWER OL and DL types. Plus when the OL and DL's are very good, EVERYTHING that happens behind them gets better.

So in the end I have come to change my mind on these drafts. I'd pick an OT for sure if I thought there would be one worth of the 14th pick, but I don't think there is one. A shut down CB can also be a very impactful position, BUT...I don't see Witherspoon or Gonsalves being there, and while I like Joey Porter a lot, if a big guy like Breesee, or Van Ness are available at 14, I'd have to jump there and go OL in the 2nd. We have found and developed THREE all pro CB's that we got as UDFA's in the last 10 years, surely we can find one in the 3rd of 4th rounds of the draft. Say a guy like Ricks from Alabama.

After this season at this point. We will not have a TE under contract. We will have 3 starting CB's under contract. And only 3 OT's under contract.
Anderson, McDermott, and Stueber.
I can see OT, but not CB at 14.
I am leaning more and more TE at 14, not only for need but a dynamic playmaker. KC used the TE'S more to compliment the WR's.

And note, I suspect that Jack Jones will not be a Patriot for much longer
Tall boundary corner is already a big need as of today.

If this is true, it becomes a desperate situation.

Last edited:
If Richardson is available at our pick do we take a flyer on him?
No. you don't. And you ONLY trade back if Gonzo and Witherspoon are gone. Otherwise, you take one of those and set out to find the next "Matt Light" starting LT in the 2nd round.

After this season at this point. We will not have a TE under contract. We will have 3 starting CB's under contract. And only 3 OT's under contract.
Anderson, McDermott, and Stueber.
I can see OT, but not CB at 14.
I am leaning more and more TE at 14, not only for need but a dynamic playmaker. KC used the TE'S more to compliment the WR's.

*SMH*
KC uses their WR to compliment their TE. Not the other way around.
If the Pats draft a TE in the 1st round with a top caliber CB or OT still there, then they're doing a huge disservice to the team and fans.

Next, you never pass up a VG to ELITE CB if there is one there for the taking. Your analysis of the positions based strictly on the contracts is beyond silly. None of the 3 corners under contract are #1-type corners. Don't get me wrong. I love Marcus, Jon, and Jack Jones. There is also Mills who is signed beyond this year. But, as last year proved, they need an upgrade there. You aren't going to get that drafting another 3rd/4th round CB.

You can find starting caliber OTs in the 2nd round. The Pats did it with Light and with Vollmer.

1) Peppers has played free safety before. I suspect that he has the skills to play the position.
Peppers is a SS. He wants to be a SS. He’s modeled his Patriots game after Chung. He has a SS mentality. He would be out of position if he played FS.
2) There are safeties available.
Its important that our starting FS understands the defense inside and out. It’s better to have someone like Jo Jones or Mills play FS…they would know their responsibilities there similar to how DMAC did when he moved to FS. Also Jo Jones is fast..that’s important.
3) We need Mills and Jones as corners. We have: Mills and the 3 Jones boys. plus backup Bryant. A draftee would give us a solid corps of corners.
We have Jack Jones and Mills on the outside with Ma Jones on the inside with Wade as a backup there.

Bryant should never see the field. Seriously…not even be allowed to look at. I’m not a fan of Bledsoe unless he is wearing #11.

IMO we still need a CB in rounds 1 or 2. OT and then CB or CB and then OT…I don’t care.

Here's the thing. Our BIGGEST positional needs at this moment are clearly CB and OT. BUT.... while both positions are fairly deep in "good" talent, they are very THIN in what might be considered "elite"/can't miss talent. I think that at least both the top 2 OT's and CB's WILL be gone before the Pats pick at #14, so unless someone drops a trade down (as usual) looks to be likely. (hopefully to add an additional 2nd)

However there has been a number of you you who have mentioned Van Ness, and I'm kind of split on this since we were very good off the edge last year with Judon, Uche, and Wise. But the fact is that good CB's WR's are more available simply because of their size, there are more of them. And because of their size, there are simply FEWER OL and DL types. Plus when the OL and DL's are very good, EVERYTHING that happens behind them gets better.

So in the end I have come to change my mind on these drafts. I'd pick an OT for sure if I thought there would be one worth of the 14th pick, but I don't think there is one. A shut down CB can also be a very impactful position, BUT...I don't see Witherspoon or Gonsalves being there, and while I like Joey Porter a lot, if a big guy like Breesee, or Van Ness are available at 14, I'd have to jump there and go OL in the 2nd. We have found and developed THREE all pro CB's that we got as UDFA's in the last 10 years, surely we can find one in the 3rd of 4th rounds of the draft. Say a guy like Ricks from Alabama.

Ken - Who are you counting as the 3rd beyond Jackson and Butler? (Who were elected as 2nd team All-Pro). Jon Joes hasn't been elected as one.

The last CORNER that the Pats drafted that became an "All-Pro" was Samuel. Logan Ryan was never one. I don't count D-Mac because they moved him to Safety.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back