PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots should absolutely pick a CB or OT at 14

I can understand why people want an OT, but if their only moves at WR and RB are to replace Meyers with Smith-Schuster, and Harris with Robinson, then short of Mac Jones suddenly turning into Tom Brady the outcome will be no different than last season. If people are fine with that then so be it, but if not then explain why we will see anything else other than that?

I think the post by Water Boy was the most likely scenario, but I doubt it would be the same players, even though I like his choices. They will trade down in the first round, then trade up in the second round, and try to address multiple needs. If they can come away with Flowers and Wright after these moves I will feel good about this draft, and revise my take on next season accordingly. If they just stand pat and do next to nothing then I won’t be expecting much more than another .500 season with no playoffs.

I’d be also be happy with Flowers (post trade down to 20-25 range, netting a day 2 pick) and Wright with their first two picks…..there will still be good CB and TE options late day 2/early day 3.

No WR picked at 14 in this draft will contribute much at all, certainly not more than a tackle or corner so I agree.

No WR picked at 14 in this draft will contribute much at all, certainly not more than a tackle or corner so I agree.
It's extremely rare for a CB to be a major contributor year one. Much less an impact player. Sauce Gardner is an extreme outlier on that front. We've also had success drafting them later. A tackle sure, but realistically we probably need to trade up for one of the top 2 in the draft.

Realistically the options at the 3 positions are

1. Likely get their pick of WR who probably will be an immediate help on a pretty poor WR Corp.

2. Get the 4th best tackle in the draft who will still only be as good as their weakest link and will take some time to find his footing

3. Get the 2nd best CB who probably won't be a major contributor for most of the season. Best case it starts to come together for him late in the year if not year 2 or 3.

And frankly, WR has just been the weak link of the team since 2019. At some point, kicking the can down the road isn't working.

WR is back on the menu boys anybody here who thinks #14 can't be a WR I say guess again.
season 1 1x8 GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Patriots have acquired all-pro corners on day three and undrafted. Yes a guy in round one is more likely to be a star, but that’s true of every position.
They also required the greatest QB in the history of the game in the sixth round. That doesn't mean it's a solid plan to go into the draft counting on that.

You don't know that! the Draft is a crapshoot and we have experienced it many times ie... Wynn - Michel - Harry and Slow-Quan Three First Rounders plus a Second. All those guys should be in their primes and are no longer on this Team and barely hanging on in this league. Why do you think CB or Tackle will yield success?? Let's not dismiss this fact the NFL Draft is no Guarantee.

I can understand why people want an OT, but if their only moves at WR and RB are to replace Meyers with Smith-Schuster, and Harris with Robinson, then short of Mac Jones suddenly turning into Tom Brady the outcome will be no different than last season. If people are fine with that then so be it, but if not then explain why we will see anything else other than that?

I think the post by Water Boy was the most likely scenario, but I doubt it would be the same players, even though I like his choices. They will trade down in the first round, then trade up in the second round, and try to address multiple needs. If they can come away with Flowers and Wright after these moves I will feel good about this draft, and revise my take on next season accordingly. If they just stand pat and do next to nothing then I won’t be expecting much more than another .500 season with no playoffs.
I thought it was all Matty P's fault.

Look, if Mac is the guy, he ought to be able to make the current crew work with the help of BoB.

You don't know that! the Draft is a crapshoot and we have experienced it many times ie... Wynn - Michel - Harry and Slow-Quan Three First Rounders plus a Second. All those guys should be in their primes and are no longer on this Team and barely hanging on in this league. Why do you think CB or Tackle will yield success?? Let's not dismiss this fact the NFL Draft is no Guarantee.
Not high first rounders. Bill doesn't bust on high first rounders.

I’d be also be happy with Flowers (post trade down to 20-25 range, netting a day 2 pick) and Wright with their first two picks…..there will still be good CB and TE options late day 2/early day 3.
One thing we know about BB if he covets a player he'll take player X at a spot we might disagree with. I'm fine with Flowers @ 14 if they feel he can contribute.

And that's what they're trying to do via FA - get every position in decent shape so they don't have to draft for need but rather bpa.

Then where's our new free agent Outside CBs & Left Tackles? Re-signing JoJo (Slot) & signing Reilly Reiff (Sucks) does Not count.

Last edited:
I don't get the love for Flowers. I think 46 is too high for him, personally. He's tiny, has really short arms and small hands and drops a ton of passes. He's quick, but not that fast.
QJ, Addison, and JSN all seem a notch above him, and I don't think any of them are worth 14.

I don't get the love for Flowers. I think 46 is too high for him, personally. He's tiny, has really short arms and small hands and drops a ton of passes. He's quick, but not that fast.
QJ, Addison, and JSN all seem a notch above him, and I don't think any of them are worth 14.
I would not be surprised if all three come off the board before 14. I don't think you're wrong, but the league is in love with wideouts, and getting a good one at a rookie deal affords a lot of cap space freedom.

I'm told the LBs are slow and ineffective against the run. So maybe a fast and versatile LB with the 1st pick. My actual preference would be for the best WR on the board at #14. The current WR group isn't good enough if they don't add a WR1 through trade. And the only true WR1 seemingly available is Hopkins and it looks he won't be coming to NE.

The vast majority of NFL teams likely disagree with you about 46 being too high for him. Drop numbers without context are meaningless. How many of those drops were due to poor throws by mediocre to bad quarterbacks with poor accuracy? what was the reason for most of his drops and is that correctable? I’m asking, because I don’t know that question but somebody here who follows BC football or who has watched a lot of all-22 films of BC games may.

4.42 isn’t fast??

How did you feel about Edelman during his Patriots career, because he was often near the top of the league in dropped passes?

Everything I read says the guy is a day 2 pick.
Sarcastic Jensen Ackles GIF by ABC Network
I don’t know what you read but he is a fast riser on the big boards i looked ibto
On some simulators I saw he ranked top 15
He is a very athletic guy, versatile, strong with great size (length and weight combo here) so I understand them love from draftniks
He is still a bit raw due to inexperience but the ceiling seems very high because things you can’t teach are there with van ness

It all depends how the draft goes. If the best CBs and OTs are gone I’d rather go WR then reach at 14. I’d also be ok with falling back to around 20, pick up a high pick, and then go for Flowers.

At 14 -

Plan A: LT Broderick Jones or Paris Johnson

Plan B: CB Christian Gonzalez or JPorterJr... I would include Devon Witherspoon, but I don't know if he can stay outside in the NFL.

If none of those 4/5 are available then it's Trade-Down Time.

Plan A, after trade-down: Oklahoma LT Anton Harrison

Plan B: WR JSN, Quentin Johnston or Zay Flowers (ahead of Jordan Addison), unless Jeudy has been acquired by then.

Dark Horses: TE Darnell Washington (ahead of Kincaid and Way Ahead of Mayer) and DE Lukas Van Ness.

Just Say Nyet to ANY DTs, LBs, Safeties, RBs & QBs with our first pick.

Peppers, Jon Jones (and MIlls, post-release) were all FAs.

They don't count either... Peppers isn't a CB, JoJo's a Slot CB, and Mills is backup-caliber... And they were already in the building anyway.

Adjusted my previous post to include the word New.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back