PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots should absolutely pick a CB or OT at 14

I just want a great player. Biggest need is OT and CB. But I’m definitely open to other positions as long as they are difference makers. If its a WR or a DE and they can help the team, I’m good. Hell, even if its the RB Bijan Robinson I’d be stoked. Difference maker who is considered top 5 talent. Sure we got Rham but I wouldnt be mad at the pick at all. Seems like a special talent.
I'll agree! However me personally I'm open to everything except RB.. as you mentioned we have Rham.. to me I personally believe the organization and not just us alone.. are going to maximize everything out of a drafted player while on the rookie deal.. as good as rham is I'd doubt he'd see a second contract from us.. he'll be beat up by then.. i just see the way the trends are going especially for RBs

a CB1 would be okay at #14, but I'm also starting to get on the Zay Flowers bandwagon.
I think this guy is in the mold of Steve Smith - playmaker at the slot that we've been missing.
I see a trade down into the 20's, and getting an extra 2nd round pick. If we could snag Zay at ~22 or 25, and still get a good DB in the 2nd, along with a OL (or TE is my dark horse for top 2 picks)

I‘d always pick the best available player, regardless of position, with a few exceptions. If a guy I think will become a great TE or DT is there at 14 I’d take him.
And that's what they're trying to do via FA - get every position in decent shape so they don't have to draft for need but rather bpa.

I’d pick a middle linebacker before CB.

First choice is OT

Patriots should absolutely pick a CB or OT at 14​

tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

Last edited:
For the long term they need to get elite talent at these 2 positions, which are harder to fill than WR.
Their OL personal is really mediocre at present. Signing Reilly Reif has not materially upgraded the position. Great news is that Isaiah "show me the money" Wynn is gone.
  1. There has been a lot of talk about how Patriots need to get playmakers at skill positions for Mac to succeed.
  2. Even more critical and fundamental to his success will be strengthening the OL, so he has time to scan the field and so they can run the ball. At 14 they should be able to get a top 3 OT. I believe this is where they should go.

CB obviously is also a critical position and although they did re sign Jones, their CB group as a whole suffers from lack of height and physicality (unless you think Wade will make the team and step up). There is an abundance of top tier CB's that should be available at 14 and if Joey Porter Jr is there and the OT they want is not there jump all over it.

FORGET drafting a WR at 14, even if JSN is available. Their wide receivers as a group are solid (but not spectacular). I guess it's even possible that Thornton could develop into the vertical threat they need. As has been well documented, they are not interested in Hopkins. OBJ is probably going to the jets to play with Rodgers and I believe the Broncos intend to hold onto Jeudy. They will have other chances to get WR1 next year in UFA, or through released players.

I know it's only 3 weeks into free agency, but like many I have not been terribly excited by what they have done. Schuster-Smith to replace Myers and Robinson to replace Harris is like treading water...certainly not a marked improvement. Riley Reiff and the JAG OT and 2 special teams players....that is not going to move the needle..unless they are planning to dominate games with special teams.

Patriots had 4th or 5th most cap room at start of the season and have not yet utilized it to take a big step forward. BB had better NAIL this draft...or this team is going to take up long term residence in 4th place in the AFC East.

Long term, I see BB coaching two more years until Mayo takes over in 25-26 as head coach. Clearly BB is thinking long term and does not want to leave Mayo in cap hell when Mayo likely takes over in March 25.

They are going to be one tough 17 points a game team,

If Mac is in the Patriots future plans then they must take an OT.....if not, then welcome to our 5 year REBUILD because no CB or WR in the first round is going to matter

I think the 1 year or expiring contracts for our present starting OTs signals that the Pats plan on drafting OL. It appears as though there is some depth this year at OT in the draft so hopefully it works out OK.

It all depends how the draft goes. If the best CBs and OTs are gone I’d rather go WR then reach at 14. I’d also be ok with falling back to around 20, pick up a high pick, and then go for Flowers.

It all depends how the draft goes. If the best CBs and OTs are gone I’d rather go WR then reach at 14. I’d also be ok with falling back to around 20, pick up a high pick, and then go for Flowers.

I agree. I expect Flowers to be available later in R1 due to his small size.

I think we have the Draft capital to come away with 3 or 4 very solid starters.

IMO we should trade back into the 20s and draft WR Zay Flowers then trade up in the second to get OT Darnel Wright or Dawand Jones. Then CB in the 3rd. Maybe Mekhi Blackmon. TE and cover LB in the 4th/5th.

I think the Pats will draft Lukas Van Ness. A true stud and difference maker. Incredibly athletic, huge upside, think Richard Seymour. We are in the top 15 and should draft BPA, not only OT or CB or WR. The Pats should pick someone who can dominate for years to come.
I agree. This player better be a foundational piece

You aren't like to get a shutdown corner on day 3.
Patriots have acquired all-pro corners on day three and undrafted. Yes a guy in round one is more likely to be a star, but that’s true of every position.

Somehow I think if OT/CB is the most popular pick 14th , BB will do exactly opposite.

If Mac is in the Patriots future plans then they must take an OT.....if not, then welcome to our 5 year REBUILD because no CB or WR in the first round is going to matter
There is more to the draft then the first round…

I can understand why people want an OT, but if their only moves at WR and RB are to replace Meyers with Smith-Schuster, and Harris with Robinson, then short of Mac Jones suddenly turning into Tom Brady the outcome will be no different than last season. If people are fine with that then so be it, but if not then explain why we will see anything else other than that?

I think the post by Water Boy was the most likely scenario, but I doubt it would be the same players, even though I like his choices. They will trade down in the first round, then trade up in the second round, and try to address multiple needs. If they can come away with Flowers and Wright after these moves I will feel good about this draft, and revise my take on next season accordingly. If they just stand pat and do next to nothing then I won’t be expecting much more than another .500 season with no playoffs.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back