PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots should absolutely pick a CB or OT at 14

Would be great, but I am not sure there are a lot of game changers in this year's draft. Unfortunate because we rarely have such a high pick. (and it is not really high-almost average).

Word is Robinson is one. (I have no idea, just reading)

We can get a great RB in R4. Yes, RB get hurt so better to draft one every year in R3 or R4. Just like we did with Rham. Don't need a RB at 14, we need OL, DL, or shutdown corner. What positions will be drafted in the top 15? QB, OL, DL, and CB. We should do the same.
However, you don't get Christian McCaffrey in round 4. I've seen him compared to McCaffrey.

However, you don't get Christian McCaffrey in round 4. I've seen him compared to McCaffrey.

Agreed. I watched the tape (not All22) and I did not see McCaffrey. Not even close. Great prospect though.

We can get a great RB in R4. Yes, RB get hurt so better to draft one every year in R3 or R4. Just like we did with Rham. Don't need a RB at 14, we need OL, DL, or shutdown corner. What positions will be drafted in the top 15? QB, OL, DL, and CB. We should do the same.

I think you can get a good RB later in the draft, but the great ones tend to be high picks. As Family said the Patriots don’t have anyone that really forces other teams to game plan against them, and that allows the to just play them straight up. Robinson isn’t a good prospect, he’s a great one, and I would take the great one over a good one, and use the rest of the draft to address other needs. I realize many disagree with this, but it’s still what I would do. Unfortunately I don’t think it will come to that, as I think he will be gone when they pick.

The other comps I have heard are Saquon Barkley, Dalvin Cook, and Adrian Peterson. That’s the obviously high praise

Mac had 15 Tds last year thats like 5 games for most elite QBs. He is not elite and last year he wasnt even serviceable(yeah i know Patricia was a mess). You cannot compete in this league without a top tier QB and we dont have that and I dont see that changing next season. I get we brought in BOB to work with Mac and his numbers should be better than the mess that was last season but I just dont see him being the long term answer at QB if we want to be competitive again for real trophies, and not wild cards one and dones. I know they wont do it but interested to see if say Levis makes it out of the top ten. I expect to see CB or OL unless they really covet a TE as both rostered TEs are on one years deals so we have to address the future of that spot in some form or fashion.

Last years picks of Strange (in and out of the starting lineup) and Twiggy Thornton (hurt and invisible) arent looking so hot.

14 TDs was because of the OC and QC. Blaming Mac for it is ridiculous. Claiming he's not serviceable is also ridiculous and calls into question your football knowledge.

Not sure where you get that Strange was "in and out of the starting line-up" but that's not accurate. Strange started all 17 games. There was ONE game where they put Wynn in to replace him, but that was temporary. Strange took 94% of the snaps.

Thornton was stuck behind Agholor and Parker last year. He's not supposed to be starting. Again, the OC and QC are directly responsible for what happened.

I think you can get a good RB later in the draft, but the great ones tend to be high picks. As Family said the Patriots don’t have anyone that really forces other teams to game plan against them, and that allows the to just play them straight up. Robinson isn’t a good prospect, he’s a great one, and I would take the great one over a good one, and use the rest of the draft to address other needs. I realize many disagree with this, but it’s still what I would do. Unfortunately I don’t think it will come to that, as I think he will be gone when they pick.

Would you prefer Robinson or Rham?

We can’t draft Robinson cause Rham would be made useless and even if Robinson is a little better we can’t guarantee he is good enough to make Rham a bench warmer.

Not happening.

My plan for what it is worth, I am not a draftnik.. but here goes, based on Aaron Rodgers going to the Jets..
#14 Joey Porter, a big physical corner who can wear down the AFC East receivers
#46 Trade to Arizona for disgruntled Budda Baker
The rest of the picks all of offense
One pick for a punter or Kicker..

You aren't like to get a shutdown corner on day 3.
Tell that to Richard Sherman, Malcolm Butler, JC Jackson and I’m others who got drafted day 3 (or undrafted).

We can’t draft Robinson cause Rham would be made useless and even if Robinson is a little better we can’t guarantee he is good enough to make Rham a bench warmer.

Not happening.
You’re saying he’d be mad….that’s a wild assumption.

You’re saying he’d be mad….that’s a wild assumption.

No I’m saying Rham is good enough to be a number 1 back and and Bill said quote he has full trust in him.
My point is spending a high number 1 for a back seems like a bad way to spend that resource.
Unless the kid is Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders or Ladanian Tomlinson in my humble opinion the worst way to spend the pick.

Would you prefer Robinson or Rham?

I like Rhamondre Stevenson,! but I would take Robinson every to time. The two of them would give the Patriots the best running game in football. And given what they have, that and a really strong defense would give them their best chance to win games. I think it would be a return to the early years of their first dynasty, with Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon, paired with really good defenses, and Brady managing games. ( I’m not comparing Brady and Jones, just that the approach would be the same.) Run the ball to win TOP , limit drive opportunities, and control games. Play really good defense, and win turnover battles. The bottom line for me is that is the only way I see this team winning games. They aren’t going to be a shootout team, and if they fall into that they will suck.

Last edited:
No I’m saying Rham is good enough to be a number 1 back and and Bill said quote he has full trust in him.
My point is spending a high number 1 for a back seems like a bad way to spend that resource.
Unless the kid is Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders or Ladanian Tomlinson in my humble opinion the worst way to spend the pick.
LaDanian Tomlinson is actually one of the other comps I've seen besides McCaffrey and Sasquon.

Tell that to Richard Sherman, Malcolm Butler, JC Jackson and I’m others who got drafted day 3 (or undrafted).
Richard Sherman is the only shutdown corner in that group and sure, yeah, you might find a unicorn. But you certainly can't count on it.

LaDanian Tomlinson is actually one of the other comps I've seen besides McCaffrey and Sasquon.

That’s a tough ass comparison.
I feel like RBs are a dime a dozen.
If he can receive like Tomlinson could and run routes I’d be more accepting of it.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back